Antonio Cordón - New Sporting Director?

HalfTimePost

If rectifying is wise, since I am stupid I still have to rectify more. The person who collaborates with Barça is not Antonio Cordón, it is his son Alejandro. The father is closer to Aston Villa with Unai Emery. And Ramon Planes is still close to Betis but has not just signed. I apologize

Looks like a lot of the confusion in the Spanish media regarding Cordon somehow already working for Barcelona and simultaneously joining Villa is because it's his son doing the former.

I imagine this is finalised once Ramon Planes joins Betis as his replacement, which seems close now.

Edited by wishywashy

3 hours ago, allani said:

I think Lange gets a lot of undeserved flak on here.  I think he's done a pretty decent job and most of our transfers over the last few years have been successful.  It wasn't his fault that FFP meant that to get from where we were under Bruce to where we are now we needed to recruit effectively two or three teams.  I would say that Emi, Mings, Luiz, Kamara and Watkins (in his current form) are five outstanding signings straight off the bat who represent incredible value for money (not sure how many Lange directly "recruited").  I think some people think that he should have been able to find 11 unknown players from the 3rd division of some a European league, signed them and seen them all turn into £60 million + players within 6 months.  Had Brighton signed the five players above I am sure that many on here would be exclaiming "Why is it always Brighton?  How comes we never sign those type of players?".  Brighton have made some exceptional signings but they have also signed plenty of duds - they're also the exception to the rule.  If you look at clubs who might be our direct competitors (Everton, West Ham, Leicester, Wolves, Newcastle) then our recruitment over the last 4 or 5 seasons in comparison to them has been pretty good.

That's not to say that we can't do better and the 3 guys mentioned above seem to have an excellent track record in Spain - so it will be interesting to see whether they can have similar success here (if they do indeed sign for us).  I suspect that the Spanish / South American market is going to be rich pickings for us over the coming windows given Emery's reputation and the fact that we've got a good core of young players in key positions doing well here already.  It will be much easier for players to adjust to a new club, new country, etc.

That said I would be surprised if Lange is moved out completely. 

I'd go even further.

We don't know the recruitment set up and who exactly does what. Identifying Watkins, Kamra, Emi is probably the easy bit.
We know from the Cutler interview that he pushed for Emi - credit has to go for looking at the stats, taking on board advice which was different, assessing the market and actually making the right choice. 

But this role has to balance the budget, and take the best action possible. We got rid of Ings in January - and it's worked beautifully. If it hadn't, we'd be going crazy!
And sometimes doing nothing is the right answer, no matter the noise it creates.
It also has to look after the club at all levels. If Feeney, Kerr, Wilson, Kellyman are all in the first team squad in a few years - Lange and the team would be well down the list of people taking credit, but I'd imagine they we heavily involved in that success (along with Harrison and the rest of the youth set up).

They have a massive wide ranging role - I suspect most of us think only about the most visible 1% on any given day.

5 hours ago, KMitch said:

Lange's recruits that he was being crucified for under Gerrard are starting to look good under Emery

Let’s face it if Lange had signed De Bruyne, Halaand and Saka under Gerrard they’d all have looked crap. As were Dougie, Ollie and SJM but under The Sultan they’re now all top class PL players.

At the same time that doesn’t mean he can’t be improved on or perhaps shouldn’t be found a role still at the club. People better qualified then, you and I, fortunately, have the task of making those type of decisions. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Rolta said:

Cruzcampo is vile poison. Mahou is average but passable!

Spain has a lot of great things, but the beer is beyond average. It's cheap though. This is my judgement having been living here for 7 years.

As for Cordón, exciting!!

Like I said the Alhambra Reserva 1925 was my favourite...give it a try?

All about opinions though.

4 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

I'd go even further.

We don't know the recruitment set up and who exactly does what. Identifying Watkins, Kamra, Emi is probably the easy bit.
We know from the Cutler interview that he pushed for Emi - credit has to go for looking at the stats, taking on board advice which was different, assessing the market and actually making the right choice. 

But this role has to balance the budget, and take the best action possible. We got rid of Ings in January - and it's worked beautifully. If it hadn't, we'd be going crazy!
And sometimes doing nothing is the right answer, no matter the noise it creates.
It also has to look after the club at all levels. If Feeney, Kerr, Wilson, Kellyman are all in the first team squad in a few years - Lange and the team would be well down the list of people taking credit, but I'd imagine they we heavily involved in that success (along with Harrison and the rest of the youth set up).

They have a massive wide ranging role - I suspect most of us think only about the most visible 1% on any given day.

It's hard to know too much about who were biggest factors in different signings. 

I do feel we all agree Coutinho and Digne were pushed by Gerrard and signed off by recruitment. I think Ings was wanted by Deano as we literally had only Watkins who could play CF (plus Jack sale played into Ings sigining). Sanson, Duran, Kamara I feel was big "data driven" signings. Carlos too.

Lange was brought in a few months prior to our first signings after staying up. Emi, Watkins and Cash all working out well.

I feel we might see a split of the duties if we bring in Cordon. Lange keeping everything bar Coaching and Recruitment (so Emery and McKenzie move to Cordon). Unless McKenzie stays in Analytics/Data

Cordon will add extra reach and contacts with Iberia and South America boosting the net

• Like 1

If we do get a new sporting director ( I now see all the uk journos have just copied and pasted what the lady said no doubt not having any kind of idea what so ever apart from reading the ladies quite clear statementand pretendingthey have some inside knowledge)  I think lange will move sideways to look at high potential youth world wide.

So one for first team and one for the rest of the club.

With it being interchangeable, so if one is looking at a youth player but sees a senior player who looks exceptionally good they would recommend that player to the first team and vice versa 

Edited by brummybloke

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â