Artificial Intelligence

maqroll

• 1 month later...

does anyone here use AI, specifically chatGPT on any regular basis? reason I ask is that I've begun to use it on a regular basis, I'm even pay $20 a month for it - so I can access the latest model. Each day I am surprised at how useful it is, it's the first thing I think about when 'searching something', only time I've used Google is to find dodgy football streams.

An example of its use - I was on a call to my Dad, he was talking about a series of books he read years ago about a boy who joined the royal navy when he was 14 in the early 1800's or late 1700's, but he couldn't remember the name of the books, I asked chatGPT "what was the series of books that wrote about a boy who joined the royal navy when he was 14 in the early 1800's or late 1700's" and in less than a second it replied with 

The series you're referring to is likely the "Horatio Hornblower" series by C.S. Forester. These books follow the life of Horatio Hornblower, a young boy who joins the British Royal Navy as a midshipman at the age of 17 in the late 18th century during the Napoleonic Wars.

The series is set during the late 1700s and early 1800s and is renowned for its historical accuracy, thrilling naval battles, and complex character development. Hornblower rises through the ranks in the Navy, eventually becoming an admiral, but the story begins with him as an awkward, seasick youth.

The first book in the series (chronologically) is "Mr. Midshipman Hornblower", which details Hornblower's early career, although the first book published was "The Happy Return" (known in the U.S. as "Beat to Quarters"). The series includes 11 novels and several short stories.

My Dad was stunned. I asked Google the same question, it listed me a bunch of websites that I could go to to buy books about the Navy. At that moment my thought was OMG Google is going to become some sort of Yellow Pages of the web! Goodbye Google. 

I've used chatGPT to help me analyse a load of horse racing data, it's improved the accuracy of my horse racing model (something I've been working on for about 6 years, it did this in less than an hour) from about 30% up to 84% - word of caution, its great at pointing out the favourites, I'm using it to try to help me find a profitable strategy. I'm also making use of it to help me start the horse pickler project from scratch, this time with all the right software development trimmings and things.

I even got it to write me a book (Horizons of Human Potential) - https://github.com/bielesibub/possibilities/blob/main/contents.md (a link to the contents page, here's the introduction)

Introduction: Charting New Frontiers in Human Potential

The Confluence of Possibilities

As we move deeper into the 21st century, humanity finds itself at a pivotal juncture—a confluence of scientific discoveries, technological advancements, and societal shifts that together define an era of unprecedented potential. The boundaries of what it means to be human are expanding, driven by innovations in fields as diverse as neuroscience, genetics, artificial intelligence, and social innovation. These advancements open up new possibilities for enhancing our cognitive abilities, extending our lifespans, and reshaping our societies. Yet with these opportunities come complex ethical dilemmas, challenging us to navigate the future with wisdom, responsibility, and foresight.

In this context, "Horizons of Human Potential" is both a guidebook and a manifesto for the future. It invites readers to explore the vast terrain of emerging possibilities, to understand the scientific principles that underpin human potential, and to engage with the ethical questions that these advancements provoke. This book is designed to help individuals and societies alike harness these developments to create a future that is not only more advanced but also more equitable, sustainable, and fulfilling.

The Evolving Concept of Human Potential

The concept of human potential has evolved significantly over time. Once viewed through the narrow lens of innate talent and intelligence, it is now understood as a dynamic, multifaceted construct influenced by a combination of genetic, environmental, psychological, and social factors. This broader understanding has been catalyzed by breakthroughs in neuroscience and psychology, which reveal that our brains are not static entities but are instead capable of remarkable plasticity—changing and adapting in response to new experiences throughout our lives.

Moreover, advancements in genetics and epigenetics show that our genetic makeup is not a fixed blueprint but a flexible script that interacts with our environment in complex ways. This knowledge opens up new possibilities for personal growth, learning, and even the enhancement of cognitive and physical abilities through targeted interventions.

In parallel, technological innovations—such as artificial intelligence, virtual and augmented reality, and brain-computer interfaces—are beginning to augment our natural capacities, offering new ways to enhance learning, creativity, and productivity. These developments are redefining the limits of what humans can achieve, both individually and collectively.

The Promise and Perils of Technological Advancement

While the potential benefits of these advancements are immense, they are accompanied by significant risks and ethical challenges. The integration of AI into daily life, the potential for genetic modification, and the increasing influence of digital technologies raise questions about privacy, autonomy, equity, and the very nature of human identity. As we embrace these innovations, it is crucial to ensure that they are guided by ethical principles that protect human dignity and promote the common good.

For example, as brain-computer interfaces become more sophisticated, they offer the potential to restore function to individuals with disabilities or to enhance cognitive abilities in healthy individuals. However, they also raise concerns about the potential for coercion, inequality, and loss of personal autonomy. Similarly, the use of AI in decision-making processes—whether in education, healthcare, or the workplace—can lead to significant efficiencies and improvements in outcomes, but it also risks reinforcing existing biases and creating new forms of discrimination.

Genetic engineering, particularly through technologies like CRISPR, offers the possibility of eradicating genetic diseases and enhancing desirable traits. But it also presents profound ethical dilemmas, including the potential for "designer babies," the exacerbation of social inequalities, and unintended consequences for the human gene pool.

A Holistic and Interdisciplinary Approach

To navigate these complexities, "Horizons of Human Potential" adopts a holistic and interdisciplinary approach. The book draws on insights from neuroscience, genetics, psychology, ethics, and technology to provide a comprehensive understanding of human potential. It integrates these perspectives to offer practical strategies for personal growth, while also addressing the broader societal implications of emerging technologies.

Each chapter is designed to build on the previous one, creating a cohesive narrative that guides readers through the exploration of human potential. The book begins with a deep dive into the science of potential, exploring how our brains and bodies are wired for growth and adaptation. It then examines the psychological frameworks that shape our understanding of self and others, followed by an exploration of the cutting-edge technologies that are pushing the boundaries of what is possible.

As the narrative progresses, the book addresses the ethical and societal implications of these advancements, encouraging readers to think critically about how we can harness these technologies for the greater good. The final chapters provide practical strategies for applying these insights to personal and collective growth, offering tools and exercises that readers can use to enhance their own lives and contribute to the betterment of society.

The Role of Ethical Leadership in Shaping the Future

At the heart of this exploration is the need for ethical leadership—both at the individual and societal levels. As we stand on the threshold of profound change, the decisions we make today will shape the future for generations to come. Ethical leadership requires a commitment to values such as justice, equity, sustainability, and respect for human dignity. It involves not only making informed and responsible choices but also fostering a culture of critical thinking, open dialogue, and collaboration.

This book emphasizes the importance of cultivating these qualities in ourselves and in our leaders. By doing so, we can ensure that the advancements we embrace contribute to a future that is not only more technologically advanced but also more humane, compassionate, and just.

An Invitation to Engage

"Horizons of Human Potential" is not just a book to be read—it is an invitation to engage, to reflect, and to act. It challenges readers to think deeply about their own potential and the potential of humanity as a whole. It encourages them to explore the possibilities that lie ahead with curiosity and enthusiasm, while also recognizing the responsibility that comes with such exploration.

Whether you are a student, a professional, a leader, or someone simply interested in the future of humanity, this book offers insights and tools that can help you navigate the rapidly changing landscape of the 21st century. It provides a roadmap for personal and collective growth, grounded in the latest scientific research and guided by ethical considerations.

As you embark on this journey, you will discover not only what is possible but also what is desirable—and how you can contribute to shaping a future that aligns with our highest aspirations.

Looking Ahead

The future is not a distant horizon—it is something we are creating every day with our choices, actions, and ideas. "Horizons of Human Potential" is your companion on this journey, offering guidance, inspiration, and practical advice for navigating the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.

Together, we can push the boundaries of what it means to be human, embracing the possibilities of the future while remaining rooted in the values that define our humanity. Let us chart this path with hope, wisdom, and a shared commitment to building a better world for all.

Each day I ask it "What’s the Aston Villa news today?" today it came back with:

Today's Aston Villa news revolves around a few key updates:

1. John McGinn's recent form has raised concerns after a below-par performance for Scotland against Poland, where his team lost 3-2.
  2. Emiliano Martínez had a standout performance for Argentina, keeping a clean sheet in a World Cup qualifier against Chile.
  3. The team is preparing for upcoming fixtures, including a Premier League match on September 14, and their Champions League opener against Young Boys on September 17.

These updates show a mix of individual performances and team preparations.

I've also used it to look at history - ancient civilisations, science - piezo electricity, quantum states, religion, philosophy, created images (one is in the other football, blose thread). chatGPT also does a great thing of suggesting what questions you might have next. I got it to write a modern day Young Ones sketch where Rik is transitioning to become Veranda, Vivean is an American Nihilistic Punk exchange student, Mike is Donald Trump in disguise, Neal regularly lies down on motorways. The scene was about them meeting each other for the first time.

I'm fortunate in a way, I'm IT literate, I'm unable to work, my mind is all over the place, I've got time on my hands (well time when I'm well enough and not sleeping). I've posted this here rather than on some other forum as there are more than just nerds like me on here so I'd like to hear other peoples opinions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bielesibub said:

An example of its use - I was on a call to my Dad, he was talking about a series of books he read years ago about a boy who joined the royal navy when he was 14 in the early 1800's or late 1700's, but he couldn't remember the name of the books, I asked chatGPT ". 

You could just have asked me. 

And tell your dad that Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series is vastly superior to Hornblower. I'll bet ChatGPT wouldn't have thought to mention that. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

You could just have asked me. 

And tell your dad that Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series is vastly superior to Hornblower. I'll bet ChatGPT wouldn't have thought to mention that. 

ok, one of the two options for further info was the question 'Any similar series?', so for your benefit I asked it just that, no prizes for guessing the top series it suggested. Could you have suggested any of the other 5?

There are several series similar to the Horatio Hornblower series that focus on naval adventures and historical fiction, typically set during the Age of Sail. Here are a few notable ones:

1. Aubrey-Maturin Series by Patrick O'Brian

• Premise: This 20-book series follows the friendship and naval adventures of Captain Jack Aubrey of the Royal Navy and his friend, the physician, naturalist, and intelligence agent Stephen Maturin. Set during the Napoleonic Wars, it offers rich historical detail and complex character dynamics, much like Hornblower.
  • First book: Master and Commander (1969)

2. Richard Bolitho Series by Alexander Kent

• Premise: The series follows Richard Bolitho, a young officer in the Royal Navy, starting as a midshipman in the 1770s and rising through the ranks. The books cover major naval engagements and the personal challenges faced by Bolitho.
  • First book: Richard Bolitho, Midshipman (1975)

3. Thomas Kydd Series by Julian Stockwin

• Premise: This series follows the life of Thomas Kydd, a young man pressed into service aboard a Royal Navy ship during the Napoleonic Wars. Unlike Hornblower or Bolitho, Kydd comes from a humble background and rises through the ranks from an ordinary seaman to an officer.
  • First book: Kydd (2001)

4. Ramage Series by Dudley Pope

• Premise: The series features Lord Nicholas Ramage, a young Royal Navy officer during the Napoleonic Wars. The novels focus on his daring exploits and command over various ships, showcasing thrilling naval engagements and political intrigue.
  • First book: Ramage (1965)

5. Alan Lewrie Series by Dewey Lambdin

• Premise: This series follows the roguish and adventurous Alan Lewrie, who joins the Royal Navy as a young man and experiences both the excitement of naval life and the difficulties of leadership and personal challenges. Set during the American Revolution and Napoleonic Wars, it combines humor and action.
  • First book: The King's Coat (1989)

6. Nathaniel Drinkwater Series by Richard Woodman

• Premise: This series follows Nathaniel Drinkwater, a British naval officer during the late 18th and early 19th centuries, beginning with his service as a young midshipman. The series focuses on both historical events and the character's growth in a gritty, realistic portrayal of naval life.
  • First book: An Eye of the Fleet (1981)

All these series explore themes of adventure, duty, and leadership against the backdrop of naval warfare, with a focus on character development and historical accuracy. They would all be great choices if you're looking for something in the same spirit as Hornblower.

I noticed a 'which series is best?' option, so I asked it - @mjmooney it did you proud.

Choosing the "best" series depends on personal preference and what aspects of naval historical fiction you most enjoy. Here's a comparison of the major series, highlighting what makes each one unique:

1. Aubrey-Maturin Series by Patrick O'Brian

• Best For: Readers who enjoy a blend of naval action, deep character development, and rich historical and scientific detail.
  • Why It's Great: Often hailed as the best-written of the naval series, O'Brian's novels have been compared to works of literary fiction. The dynamic between Captain Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin, a naval surgeon and intelligence agent, is at the heart of the series. Their friendship, along with detailed depictions of naval life, social customs, and natural science, makes this series stand out.
  • Pros: Complex characters, historical depth, and rich language.
  • Cons: Some readers find the pace slow and the naval jargon difficult to grasp.

2. Horatio Hornblower Series by C.S. Forester

• Best For: Fans of a classic, action-oriented naval adventure with a compelling, introspective protagonist.
  • Why It's Great: Hornblower is a classic hero, known for his intelligence, tactical brilliance, and personal struggles with self-doubt. The series is well-balanced between exciting naval battles and Hornblower’s personal growth. It has a great mix of adventure and character-driven drama.
  • Pros: Gripping action, classic storytelling, and an iconic character.
  • Cons: Some may find the character of Hornblower emotionally distant or the style a bit old-fashioned compared to modern historical fiction.

3. Richard Bolitho Series by Alexander Kent

• Best For: Readers who want straightforward, action-packed naval warfare with a focus on honor and leadership.
  • Why It's Great: Bolitho is portrayed as a more straightforward, honorable hero compared to Hornblower’s more introspective nature. The series focuses heavily on naval engagements, military strategy, and the inner workings of the Royal Navy during the 18th century.
  • Pros: Fast-paced action, less introspective but easier to follow.
  • Cons: The writing may not have as much literary depth or character complexity as the Aubrey-Maturin series.

4. Thomas Kydd Series by Julian Stockwin

• Best For: Readers who enjoy an underdog story of personal growth and want to experience naval life from a common sailor's perspective.
  • Why It's Great: Unlike most naval heroes who start as officers, Thomas Kydd begins as a common sailor, which gives readers a unique perspective on life below decks. The series offers a vivid portrayal of how a regular man can rise through the ranks based on skill and determination.
  • Pros: Fresh perspective, compelling rags-to-riches narrative, and solid historical accuracy.
  • Cons: Some readers find the prose less polished compared to O'Brian or Forester.

5. Ramage Series by Dudley Pope

• Best For: Fans of daring, swashbuckling naval adventures with less focus on introspection.
  • Why It's Great: Ramage is more of a bold, adventurous hero, with thrilling naval engagements, daring rescues, and high-seas drama. The series offers a balance of action, strategy, and romance.
  • Pros: Action-packed and fast-paced, with straightforward naval excitement.
  • Cons: The character development and historical detail may not be as deep as other series.

6. Alan Lewrie Series by Dewey Lambdin

• Best For: Readers who like a morally ambiguous, roguish protagonist and a mix of humor, action, and naval history.
  • Why It's Great: Alan Lewrie is a more flawed, rakish character than most naval heroes. The series is known for its humor, irreverence, and swashbuckling action, making it stand out from more serious naval fiction.
  • Pros: Fun, humorous, and fast-paced with a different kind of protagonist.
  • Cons: Lewrie’s antics and behavior might not appeal to readers looking for more traditional or serious naval heroes.

Summary of Recommendations:

• Best for literary quality and depth: Aubrey-Maturin by Patrick O'Brian.
  • Best classic naval hero and adventure: Horatio Hornblower by C.S. Forester.
  • Best action-packed and straightforward naval fiction: Richard Bolitho by Alexander Kent.
  • Best underdog story: Thomas Kydd by Julian Stockwin.
  • Best fast-paced and swashbuckling adventures: Ramage by Dudley Pope.
  • Best roguish, humorous character: Alan Lewrie by Dewey Lambdin.

If you’re looking for the most "literary" experience, Aubrey-Maturin is often considered the finest in terms of writing and character depth. For a more traditional, action-driven series, Hornblower and Bolitho are excellent choices. Thomas Kyddoffers a fresh perspective, and Alan Lewrie adds a touch of humor and roguishness.

Edited by bielesibub
Added 'which series is best' response.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bielesibub said:

ok, one of the two options for further info was the question 'Any similar series?', so for your benefit I asked it just that, no prizes for guessing the top series it suggested. Could you have suggested any of the other 5?

I noticed a 'which series is best?' option, so I asked it - @mjmooney it did you proud.

Yep, very impressive. 

My only caveat would be that it answers the question you ask, and only the question you ask. You had to take my prompt to ask it the second question. I would have added that info as a matter of course. 

BTW I was aware of the Forester, Kent, Pope and Woodman books, but not Stockwin and Lambdin. This is a genre I have a passing, but not deep, interest in.

But O'Brian is great. 

Edited by mjmooney

I read the odd thing about AI on Reddit, and a lot of creative types are really against it. Musicians especially, as people are now using AI to create songs, albums and even made-up artists. I’m not sure what I think about it. I think it’s extremely lazy of people to rip off other people’s work to try to make a quick buck, but then I will admit that I’ve used AI myself (just for getting prototype image ideas for a few things I’ve worked on). I suppose the difference is that I then wouldn’t consider selling a product that used the AI images. Instead I would rather commission an artist to draw the images for me, with those AI ‘prototypes’ being the rough idea I had in my head.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yep, very impressive. 

My only caveat would be that it answers the question you ask, and only the question you ask. You had to take my prompt to ask it the second question. I would have added that info as a matter of course. 

BTW I was aware of the Forester, Kent, Pope and Woodman books, but not Stockwin and Lambdin. This is a genre I have a passing, but not deep, interest in.

But O'Brian is great. 

yeah granted I had to look for the follow up question, but the initial question was asking what the series of books was called not necessarily an opinion. Following the answer the AI did render two possible follow up questions, one was to ask the question 'Any similar series' - but this had to be a conscious decision for me to click on the link to ask the question. I'd recommend anyone to have a go, from my interactions with it, it has come up with some odd replies, but for the most part has done a brilliant job of giving me a response that makes sense, which is something google appears to fail at more often than not.

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I read the odd thing about AI on Reddit, and a lot of creative types are really against it. Musicians especially, as people are now using AI to create songs, albums and even made-up artists. I’m not sure what I think about it. I think it’s extremely lazy of people to rip off other people’s work to try to make a quick buck, but then I will admit that I’ve used AI myself (just for getting prototype image ideas for a few things I’ve worked on). I suppose the difference is that I then wouldn’t consider selling a product that used the AI images. Instead I would rather commission an artist to draw the images for me, with those AI ‘prototypes’ being the rough idea I had in my head.

I think it should be used as an aid, a means to an end, it'll never replace creative types. I'm pretty sure if it did we'd end up with the same mainstream bland sounding/looking music... I wonder if there was any parallel in our history where people feared a kind of automation? 

Untitled3.thumb.jpg.79862a1bab32dd3752a62eae3c66db07.jpg

and yes chatGPT gave me the image from "create an oil painting of a group of people with pitchforks and fire lit torches attacking a computer data centre"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

We could use it to generate a new Villa badge every season!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

We could use it to generate a new Villa badge every season!

I quipped with "create a new badge for aston villa, where its on a shield and on a round badge, with the lion facing left then right, with a star and without one, must include 1874, but not in a place that will annoy some people, it must have a gold border on light blue or claret, should not look anything like the Lerner badge, should have a nod to the 1982 round badge, maybe even be in a gas lamp".. it actually came up with stuff that was my expected scribble, its really let me down.... I'm done. It still needs to go someway with generating text in images though.

avfc_badge.thumb.jpg.cb65f7499f39750e01700556a670724c.jpg

• Like 1

There's already AI generated tunes popping up on Youtube purporting to be unreleased material from the past.

Mostly electronic dancy gear now, but it'll only be getting more proficient with time.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â