Giant Chinese Spy Balloon

maqroll

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

If nothing else, imagine how excited that pilot would have been. He'll be in a bar somewhere right now, telling a tale that gets bigger with each repetition.

Everyone will just think he's full of hot air. 

• Like 1

Shot down by a missile from a F22. Now China are flapping that the Americians used deadly force and now they are within there right to bring repercussions.

China are a weird state always have been, I have no more love for their government than I have for Putin and the Kremlin, poo on my foot the lot of emmm!

8 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

That missile strike I thought was a little unfortunate. It looked like it hit the active components. Shame they did not go through the middle of the balloon.

I think falling from kilometres up and hitting water at terminal velocity, probably approaching 200mph, would do as much damage. In any case, they'll have their best Jigsaw puzzle solvers working on it.

22 minutes ago, brommy said:

I think falling from kilometres up and hitting water at terminal velocity, probably approaching 200mph, would do as much damage. In any case, they'll have their best Jigsaw puzzle solvers working on it.

Doubt a bunch of metal attached to a huge deflated balloon would ever have a large terminal velocity. The issue for jigsaw puzzle solvers will be finding the pieces mixed in with the shrapnel. Should have been brought down intact as possible regardless of the terminal velocity.

Edited by fruitvilla

On 04/02/2023 at 20:46, HKP90 said:

But as far as I understand, you can't recover mass once it's released (ie ballast) and the mass of helium is the same compressed in a tank as held in a balloon. They seem to have done it somehow, but control over 2000+ miles of flight without heating the gas (changing density) or having another means of propultion must be very difficult. 

When the Japanese did this in WWII it was so inaccurate they barely hit the right continent. 

Apparently balloon part has two chambers. The main chamber has the helium gas in it to give it lift. Then there is a second chamber with a pump. That chamber is for normal air. When you want to go up you empty the second chamber and rise on the helium. When you want to go down you pump air into the chamber at a higher pressure than the air you are floating in and the balloon sinks. 

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Apparently balloon part has two chambers. The main chamber has the helium gas in it to give it lift. Then there is a second chamber with a pump. That chamber is for normal air. When you want to go up you empty the second chamber and rise on the helium. When you want to go down you pump air into the chamber at a higher pressure than the air you are floating in and the balloon sinks. 

Aerial submarine. Fascinating.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Doubt a bunch of metal attached to a huge deflated balloon would ever have a large terminal velocity. The issue for jigsaw puzzle solvers will be finding the pieces mixed in with the shrapnel. Should have been brought down intact as possible regardless of the terminal velocity.

Even a large deflated balloon doesn't present much of a horizontal surface area to reduce terminal velocity, especially if it's weighted by attached equipment.

Whether damage was done by the strike that burst the balloon or from the fall and hitting water at a relatively high speed, I'm not sure there's much of an issue here anyway. There's only so much surveillance that can be done by equipment at that height so the U.S. probably won't be expecting anything groundbreaking or shocking in what data was able to be gathered. In any case they'll have the ability to track the fall and piece the equipment back together.

I would have thought just putting a few machine gun rounds into the balloon part itself would give it a nice controlled descent. I am not a physicist or a scientist so I'm basing this opinion one GCSE physics from the 90's ;) 

11 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

I would have thought just putting a few machine gun rounds into the balloon part itself would give it a nice controlled descent. I am not a physicist or a scientist so I'm basing this opinion one GCSE physics from the 90's ;) 

Sounds like you've done your own research so I'll back you to the hilt regardless of any subsequent more expert evidence. 

8 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Given the high altitude and very low air pressure I think the relatively high pressure inside the balloon was always likely to cause it to tear upon rupture.

Equipment damage or not, I don't believe the U.S. will end this event thinking 'if only we knew what the balloon was doing'.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â