Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

One season wonder he’ll be at palace in 3 years 

OK so who lives in a palace.  A king.  Hmmm.....  Struggling to see a link.  Oh hang on.  3 years.  Hmm.... Current king was born in 1948 so is now nearly 75.  The current life expectancy of males in the UK is 78.  Hmm... 75 + 3 = 78.  So in three years there will be a new king.  Who is the current king's heir?  William, Prince of Wales - who is a well known football fan who supports Aston Villa.  So why would Erling Haaland be visiting the palace to meet the new king in 3 years time given that he isn't a British subject???  Ah - because Emery and Monchi have identified him as our main transfer target and have persuaded King William V to give Haaland and his family a guided tour of Buckingham Palace (maybe even letting them stay a couple of nights as a guests) as part of the transfer negotiations.  Possibly even letting him choose a bit of family silver as a signing on bonus.  Cracked it!!  Time to start a new thread!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

His stats are good.  Newcastle can have Barnes and us Diaby…sounds fair!

Absolutely no contest, he isn't the best in the world but his level isn't THAT far behind it.

• Like 2

We've had past interest in Diaby and he suits what we need, so I could see that one happening, also I think the journalist reporting it is quite reliable.

As for him being out of our league, we might not sign him specifically, but I'm pretty sure we will sign players that people would have thought out of our league, that's something we've already started doing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

We've had past interest in Diaby and he suits what we need, so I could see that one happening, also I think the journalist reporting it is quite reliable.

As for him being out of our league, we might not sign him specifically, but I'm pretty sure we will sign players that people would have thought out of our league, that's something we've already started doing.

We haven't signed anyone since we came up that I thought he is out of our league.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't see any signings North of 40 mill coming in.

I see the target 20-30 at best.

Why? We can afford it, we have the ffp room and we sound like we want to compete towards higher European places.  I’d be surprised if we didn’t do one transfer that size this summer.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I think hanging on to Bailey whilst adding Moussa Diably would be perfect for this year.

Bailey should be good in europa league.

Will probably continue to flatter to deceive in premier league but he was o.k in the run in at least, was decent in the Spurs game which was a crucial win. Did o.k v Brighton aswell.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why? We can afford it, we have the ffp room and we sound like we want to compete towards higher European places.  I’d be surprised if we didn’t do one transfer that size this summer.

I'll be surprised, if we do.

I just don't think there is an appetite from the club, for it Nick.....I could be wrong of course.

just a gut feel, I have.

Edited by TRO
  • Sad 1

Before we signed Coutinho and Digne many were saying we wouldn't be able to get them because of other top clubs being interested, easy to dismiss that now because of the way they've turned out, but when we were first linked to those players the reaction was largely that we wouldn't stand a chance.

Even Bailey at the time was seen as a big coup, it's just easy to forget that now because it hasn't worked out the way people hoped.

Kamara was being linked to top teams, again the reaction to that link was largely that he would go to a better positioned team than us.

Tielemans apparently turned down Roma and AC Milan to sign for us.

Emery is another who by reputation could be seen to be out of our league but we still got him

And we should be able to sign even better players this summer because of Emery and European football.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I just don't think there is an appetite from the club, for it Nick.....I could be wrong of course.

just a gut feel, I have.

Really? My gut feel is the opposite, really feels like they want to back Emery this summer.  

Everything we have heard up into the summer from every direction is that we are going big and while we can get good deals like Tielemans and Torres, there is likely to be a player Emery wants that will cost a premium.  

That tweet I put up the other day of the PL clubs who have beaten our transfer record and many multiple times shows that we haven’t pushed the boat out yet.  

I don’t expect a raft of big buys but given everything I’d be surprised if there isn’t at least one that is higher than £40m…it sounds like we were prepared to do it for Nico Williams so there is appetite for it.  Just if the right player comes along imo.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, useless said:

Before we signed Coutinho and Digne many were saying we wouldn't be able to get them because of other top clubs being interested, easy to dismiss that now because of the way they've turned out, but when we were first linked to those players the reaction was largely that we wouldn't stand a chance.

Even Bailey at the time was seen as a big coup, it's just easy to forget that now because it hasn't worked out the way people hoped.

Kamara was being linked to top teams, again the reaction to that link was largely that he would go to a better positioned team than us.

Tielemans apparently turned down Roma and AC Milan to sign for us.

Emery is another who by reputation could be seen to be out of our league but we still got him

And we should be able to sign even better players this summer because of Emery and European football.

I still think the order of the day, is still, Value for Money.

I don't think we have yet arrived at the point of going after one target, and only one, and paying the selling clubs fee....Maybe in Pau Torres case we had info that we could squeeze them for a deal....its seems we rely on clubs with financial issues or contracts run down....I am not criticising that, just an observation.

We seem to have many targets and the deal being the catalyst.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'll be surprised, if we do.

just a gut feel, I have.

For once, I hope you’re wrong TRO, I think we need a player of the calibre of the £50m ilk in order to compete at the upper end of the PL and Europe. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Really? My gut feel is the opposite, really feels like they want to back Emery this summer.  

Everything we have heard up into the summer from every direction is that we are going big and while we can get good deals like Tielemans and Torres, there is likely to be a player Emery wants that will cost a premium.  

That tweet I put up the other day of the PL clubs who have beaten our transfer record and many multiple times shows that we haven’t pushed the boat out yet.  

I don’t expect a raft of big buys but given everything I’d be surprised if there isn’t at least one that is higher than £40m…it sounds like we were prepared to do it for Nico Williams so there is appetite for it.  Just if the right player comes along imo.

I hope you are right, and me wrong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

For once, I hope you’re wrong TRO, I think we need a player of the calibre of the £50m ilk in order to compete at the upper end of the PL and Europe. 

I think a couple of them puts us in with a shout for top 5. I hope that’s the plan.

• Like 1