Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

6 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Was wondering about the point of this.  Is it a warm up thing or something?

I think someone said he'd rather have emergency keeper in case something happens to back up keeper than use sub on last outfield player he's not going to make anyway

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think someone said he'd rather have emergency keeper in case something happens to back up keeper than use sub on last outfield player he's not going to make anyway

Now we are much safer about head injuries and players coming off for checks, it's increasingly likely a keeper gets a head bump and needs to come off as a precaution. So having 2 keepers on bench makes sense. 7 outfield players is plenty to have on bench anyway especially given how many versatile players we have in squad

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Not read anything that comprehensible up to now.

Definitely don't overall the whole squad in a window, no one has asked for that.

Today though, we didn't even fill the bench. And we had two keepers on it. If that doesn't show we could do with one more, I'm not sure what does.

It simply shows we have 8/9 players injured, the bigger question is if you go nuts and buy players, what do you do with the 8/9 when fit again?

Think 1 or 2 max to come in for me, Emery seeing the bench far healthier after international break.

• Like 3

The issue with having too many players is also one we don't see as fans, it's the day to day at the training ground, the imbalance of the sessions and having to fit too many players in.

When Ramsay, Moreno, Donk are back the bench will look much stronger.

We do need 1 more attacking option and ideally a right back but I'm sure the club are working to the last minute, and most likely waiting for clubs to get replacements in etc.,

1 hour ago, useless said:

I don't get how people are saying things like we don't need any more singings and I trust in Emery, Emery himself literally said  himself just a few days ago we need more, so in saying we don't need any more signings you're not agreeing with him you're disagreeing with him. It's not hard to see why he says we need more, at start of the window most were in agreement we needed competition for Buendia and Bailey, we've done that by signing Zanioloa and Diaby, but now Buendia is injured long-term and Coutinho seemingly on the way out, a week or so back most thought that Archer and Philogene were going to to be part of the squad and have a role to play, one has been sold the other is on the verge of being sold. Our only back-up to Watkins is young striker who's barely played a few games worth of Premier League football, we've got no natural replacement or competition for Ramsey on the left side, Cash is our only right-back, If Konsa players there that leaves us with one less central defender on top of already having Mings missing. We might not manage to get the deals done for whatever reason, but I'm pretty sure we will be trying to bring in a few more before the window closes not because it's what fans want for the sake of it, but because it's what Emery himself has said we need.

Who’s saying that? I think most are saying that we won’t sign 3 or 4 players this week. 1, maybe 2. People are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think it will be more.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Im not sure i agree on that.

In our situation if watkins gets injured who do we play there? Diaby bailey duran? Doesnt inspire me with much confidence 

With cash options are konsa and chambers

So fod me you have to look at the squad as a whole. If your having to name two keepers on your bench you need players

Wait till Jan and sign Samatta

11 hours ago, paul514 said:

Me too, I’m fed up with the line of if Unai thinks this or that is right then there can be no questioning it.

Our back up keeper is crap, simple. I don’t care what anyone else says.

It's not just as simple as 'our back up keeper is crap' though. When you have such a dominant no.1 keeper, it's a difficult position to fill, hence why Unai is content having Olsen in the role. He's far from perfect, but is an experienced full international. 

For a keeper to stand in for Emi without there being a sizeable drop in quality, you're looking for a keeper that would be able to play regularly in the PL, or top Championship side. With that in mind, how do you recruit a player of that calibre, with him knowing full well that instead of regular football at another club he should come to Aston Villa and rarely play. 

Given how seriously Unai takes the cups, it's not even a 'gimme' that he'll get to start those early games. What's in it for a good keeper to be a #2 at Aston Villa in lieu of being a #1 somewhere else?

• Like 4

I’d like to see one more quality addition, a versatile attacker with a bit of speed. We are going to look a different team when JJ and Moreno are back on the left side so no major surgery required. 

Also Kellyman is free scoring at the moment so could be used if required. 

• Like 1

As much as i feel we are bringing someone else in   the lack of noise is starting to worry me a little. We do not seem to do radio silence any more. Always lots of chatter and leaks before someone comes in. 5 days to go .