Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

27 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

He got a lot of the ball and put in some decent crosses, but he was constantly in 20 yards of space (Dyche masterplan to only defend the middle of the pitch) so it's hard to judge how well he actually played.

Not really.  He still played well.  Whether he can play as well when teams don't just allow him 20 yards of space is another question.

A huge part of recruitment stems not from ability/potential but the fit of the player. Digne is an undoubtedly quality player: pretty easy to argue that he's 100% an above average Premier League LB. However, he's objectively a terrible fit for Villa. His quality stems from his elite crossing, which is nice and all but Emery isn't particularly heavy on that and it isn't *particularly* useful when none of our attackers are taller than 6ft (Still absolutely no idea what Gerrard was doing, deciding that pumping crosses with one of the smallest teams in the league was a good idea). Look at how Man City operate vs Chelsea: the former's signings tend to do much better because they're actually good fits for what Pep wants, and the scouting team has identified said players as such. Chelsea, on the other hand, have no idea what they're doing and the players that they sign have fit pretty dreadfully, despite their objective world-class quality.

As for the reductive idea of dismissing Diaby/Kamara as examples of good recruitment because everyone knew who they are... what?? Real Madrid's Galacticos policy of signing superstars hasn't made their recruitment team look shabby... seven CLs since the turn of the millennium, I think? Just because a scouting team isn't signing random South American players doesn't mean they can't be good at what they do (and we have, our resident south american wonderkid literally scored two days ago...)

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

A huge part of recruitment stems not from ability/potential but the fit of the player. Digne is an undoubtedly quality player: pretty easy to argue that he's 100% an above average Premier League LB. However, he's objectively a terrible fit for Villa. His quality stems from his elite crossing, which is nice and all but Emery isn't particularly heavy on that and it isn't *particularly* useful when none of our attackers are taller than 6ft (Still absolutely no idea what Gerrard was doing, deciding that pumping crosses with one of the smallest teams in the league was a good idea).

Look at how Man City operate vs Chelsea: the former's signings tend to do much better because they're actually good fits for what Pep wants, and the scouting team has identified said players as such. Chelsea, on the other hand, have no idea what they're doing and the players that they sign have fit pretty dreadfully, despite their objective world-class quality.

As for the reductive idea of dismissing Diaby/Kamara as examples of good recruitment because everyone knew who they are... what?? Real Madrid's Galacticos policy of signing superstars hasn't made their recruitment team look shabby... seven CLs since the turn of the millennium, I think?

I think the first version of the galacticos was a bit of a flop though, a team that potentially could beat any team in history on their day only winning one champions league.

Journalists using us for tips reminds me of Men in Black where K buys all the crackpot 'newspapers' because "That's where the real stories are" haha

8 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I think the first version of the galacticos was a bit of a flop though, a team that potentially could beat any team in history on their day only winning one champions league.

Fair enough, although the second version has worked out a lot better!

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Wait, so that Abde bloke has gone from not being wanted by the club, to Xabi Alonso loves him in the space of a couple of hours? lol

Xabi Alonso manages Leverkusen who want to sign him. Xavi manages Barcelona 

Edited by Zatman
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Know nothing about him, we are certainly due a right footer now though. Lol

What's he like?

Quick skilful and works hard had a decent season on loan at Osasuna he’s raw at times but I’d be excited to see what Emery could do with him. A lot of Barca fans think we he club is crazy choosing Carrasco over him. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Apparently Marsaille want 20 million euros for guendouzi. Think we could do worse than going back in for him to add to our midfield depth. 

We don't need him though

3 hours ago, allani said:

Not really.  He still played well.  Whether he can play as well when teams don't just allow him 20 yards of space is another question.

Exactly. He played will because he was given all the time in the world to put crosses in. Most teams will close him down and he is quite limited attack-wise when there's no space for him to work in. Everton were so bad that I wouldn't put much stock in that performance. It was like a friendly in terms of intensity.

I do reckon that the fullback planning has seemed odd this window, though. Probably best to wait and see how the next week and a half pans out: Alonso would definitely be an eyebrow raiser.

Edited by wishywashy

22 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I understand that completely but our goal since promotion has been to move up the table and establish ourselves in Europe, something that’s extremely difficult using the model you’re suggesting. If it came to it which I hope it doesn’t, we would manage. https://myoldmansaid.com/the-player-aston-villa-were-scouting-that-bizarrely-led-to-signing-jhon-duran/?amp

I will never complain at us buying a Mousa Diaby figure for loads of money. As long as they're not shit. It's easy to not buy shit players.

It would be great if we could supplement big buys with some well-researched cheaper buys that can contribute in the next 12-24 months.

Yes! Exactly like Duran!

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It's easy to not buy shit players.

Would you be able to assist Man Utd or Chelsea, or at least point them in the right direction?

Actually, on second thought, leave them be. They are buying really good players. 

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

West Ham in talks with Sevilla for En-Nesryi.

Depending on price I wouldn’t mind us having a go at signing him.

Still really excited about the rest of this window.

West Ham are in talks with half of Europe at present. 

• Haha 1