Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Just seen the mail story saying Sevilla want 13m for their leftback…. The guy is essentially 32 years old

He's also just won a World Cup with Emi and played an important part in that. Sevilla won't have planned to sell him, so that is probably a fair enough price that could persuade them to change their mind. If UE wants him that is good enough for me. If he gives us 2 or 3 good years, that will likely look a bargain imo. 

26 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Except that they can offload them to PIF for no loss, negating any risk. 

This is the key thing... even if their signings fail, they know their investors will want to see them succeed.  Say Mudryk continues to be rubbish...

Saudi PIF will buy him for above market value to send  to one of their 5 clubs that they own in the Saudi league.

It's a farce and the sooner the FA find a way to close the loop hole the better. I'd welcome them to ban it even before we sell Digne to them tbh.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, useless said:

We're going to sign Zaniolo and hope to bring in another attacker in addition to him according to The Athletic - which they state in the context of Archer leaving.

Still feel like we’ll make a move for Brennan Johnson.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, duke313 said:

Yeah, I think we'll get a striker in last minute.  Won't be a "big name" signing or someone we'll break the transfer record for.  Will likely be a more experienced forward, someone in late 20/early 30s.  Someone with a bit of experience that Emery trusts.

Someone like Ings?

13 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I hope we do, I think he’s excellent. 

What am I missing about him? He looks average whenever I've seen him (have a mate who's a big forest fan so see more of them than the average). Just checked his fbref stats vs wingers and they seem to back up my eyes that he doesn't actually do much.

He looked good in the champ, and he's young,  but so far in the PL I remain to be convinced about him having what it takes to succeed at this level.

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

What am I missing about him? He looks average whenever I've seen him (have a mate who's a big forest fan so see more of them than the average). Just checked his fbref stats vs wingers and they seem to back up my eyes that he doesn't actually do much.

He looked good in the champ, and he's young,  but so far in the PL I remain to be convinced about him having what it takes to succeed at this level.

Fair enough. I think he looked great last year though, in a fairly rubbish Notts side… he’s a quick runner, accurate passer with an eye for goal. He’s still young but I watched quite a bit of him last year and I think he’s excellent. 
Maybe he’s a bit of a Grealish where the more you watch him the more you see?

Edited by alreadyexists

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

Fair enough. I think he looked great last year though, in a fairly rubbish Notts side… he’s a quick runner, accurate passer with an eye for goal. He’s still young but I watched quite a bit of him last year and I think he’s excellent. 
Maybe he’s a bit of a Grealish where the more you watch him the more you see?

I'm possibly being overly harsh on him when i consider his age. My mate is always overly raving about him too, but then he's a Forest fan and they've had even less than villa to celebrate during his life so maybe not a surprise he will jump on their first sign of something good. Johnson was a big part of their return to the top flight so they love him. I just don't share it...

Let's see if the former-ITK twitter guy is right. And if he is, hopefully you are too, and Emery gets everything possible out of him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

I thought UEFA already closed the loophole Chelsea are exploiting?

UEFA have closed that 'loophole', ironically they've unintentionally dodged that bullet for now by managing to not qualify for Europe. But they still have the Prem's FFP to deal with, and he believes they're failing that even with their 'loophole'.

I reckon they're failing deliberately with the expectation that signing a bunch of talented U23s on huge contracts will reap more rewards than whatever punishment ends up getting dished out. It's a.. bold strategy. Definitely not one Villa should look to emulate!