Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

20 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

what happened about having 150 milion to spend

that money is already tied up to sign 2 Leeds players for 50m a pop, you should be super excited.

Or, if im wrong with that, then its that we plan to bring Hogan home for his dazzling runs in behind defenders, for 125m + add-ons.

17 minutes ago, Awol said:

JPB will hopefully get more game time anyway, but hope is not a strategy for the season.  Almada is a good like-for-like Buendia replacement (with no guarantees he’d work out), plus whatever we had planned to do before. 

We have to reshape the squad on the assumption that Buendia and Mings are gone for this season and recruit accordingly. It’s rough, but them’s the breaks. 

I think we need to be giving players like JPB opportunities - but the right opportunities.  Throwing youngsters in when the pressure on them to contribute straight away is intense can easily back-fire.  If we can slot them in to match situations / matches where there's less pressure on them then there is more chance of them gaining confidence and growing into the team / match squad.  Signing a couple of more quality players should make it easier to give these younger players the right type of game time and experience to develop into genuine contenders for the shirt.  Give them time based on us controlling their exposure to first team football and the narrative of their development rather than because we're reacting to the fact that we're two players down and have no other option. 

• Like 1

There’s obviously a big budget there - Emery and Monchi haven’t come here just to search through the loan lists. Emery turned down NUFC and look at their spending. You’d love to know what’s going on behind the scenes. Guess we’ll find out over next couple of weeks.

2 hours ago, beachboys1 said:

what happened about having 150 milion to spend

It’s about double that on transfer fees if memory serves, don’t forget there is a cap for wages coming in though 

9 minutes ago, paul514 said:

It’s about double that on transfer fees if memory serves, don’t forget there is a cap for wages coming in though 

But then when I see Chelsea heading to spending 1 billion in a year, it's pretty depressing 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

But then when I see Chelsea heading to spending 1 billion in a year, it's pretty depressing 

It'll be worth it when it bankrupts them.

41 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

People can say what they like about Chelsea's spending but it was all within current rules at the time.

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Bring in a spend cap. Yes some clubs won’t come near it but I think it’s the fairest way to do things. 

You could do that but that risks leagues like Saudi or other leagues overtaking the PL. the PL was essentially doing what the Saudi league is doing now but in the 90’s: out bidding everyone for the best talent (and it still does really, but PL did it first in the modern era so it seems normal or right). So I think it would be good, but would need FIFA to implement some sort of world wide spending cap based on the success of that league, and we all know how corrupt FIFA is … so I doubt that’ll happen. 

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

People can say what they like about Chelsea's spending but it was all within current rules at the time.

For me, it's mostly depressing because of how strong they will become.

Feels difficult to compete.

For example, we can't really afford to sign " flops " and when we do we have a hard time shifting them.

Clubs like Chelsea can just continue chucking massive money at it until they get it right.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

For example, we can't really afford to sign " flops " and when we do we have a hard time shifting them.

Clubs like Chelsea can just continue chucking massive money at it until they get it right.

They wont be able to do this forever 

They simply cant unless they have CL each season. Liverpool havent spent close to them and they matched they even when they were not playing very well.

I still think city newcastle arsenal are stronger than them. Also think they are gojng to struggle to keep everyone happy as the season progresses

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

You could do that but that risks leagues like Saudi or other leagues overtaking the PL. the PL was essentially doing what the Saudi league is doing now but in the 90’s: out bidding everyone for the best talent (and it still does really, but PL did it first in the modern era so it seems normal or right). So I think it would be good, but would need FIFA to implement some sort of world wide spending cap based on the success of that league, and we all know how corrupt FIFA is … so I doubt that’ll happen. 

It won't be long before the usual suspects start campaigning UEFA to abandon FFP because it gives the Saudi teams an unfair advantage (as they have no such limits to comply with) and that this represents a existential threat to football in Europe as all the top talent will go elsewhere.  I suspect that UEFA will end up having to comply to avoid another threatened breakaway and that any clubs currently being investigated for FFP non-compliance will have those cases dropped.  I wonder how long it will then take the Saudi league to fold as the money is better spent on investing in more European clubs.  Almost like the whole thing was pre-arranged to make it easier for the state to gain ownership of clubs and remove the last hurdles from stopping them spending what they like.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The thing is that most businesses that keep just throwing money at problems eventually fail.  Businesses that invest wisely and spend the time and effort making sure that they are well organised and doing the little things well are the ones that tend to be more robust to challenges and ultimately more successful.  Chelsea can't keep throwing this level of money at things and can't keep just bringing in new players.  Their players will become demotivated by the fact that they aren't playing or are under threat of being replaced by the next player the owner fancies signing.

• Like 2

The Premier League wage bill alone is £2bln per year. Add to that the transfer fees to take it to £4bln let's say.

Saudi have to pay nearly double to get players to go there so they can't be spending £8bln to £10bln a year almost total loss of money. 

That's just the PL - take all the league's in Europe. Saudi have to always import players as they won't be able to develop them as we do in Europe.

I think Saudi want to be a top 10 league be a place for top talents at end of their careers to go to. They can achieve that. They'll push for the World Club cup etc.. and try be competitive in that 

5 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

It’s the rules themselves I find utterly depressing - not whether Chelsea has broken them or not. FFP is so blatantly a way of protecting the top teams.

Very true but FFP could face legal challenge, will any club be prepared to “put their head above the parapet” and take action?