Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

5 hours ago, skarroki said:

I think this is massively discrediting Chelsea and their players, scouting, manager and coaching staff due to an absolute write off of a season last time out. Half that team, the coaches and manager knew they weren't going to be there in a few months. Lampard has been open about finding it impossible to motivate the players. It was a similar rerun of Rangnick the season before. When the people in charge and the people on the pitch have no skin in the game and don't have to face the consequences of how the season pans out, you're going to lose a lot at an elite level. 

The difference between us and them is that a lot of their squad are unknown quantities still now. On their day though, some of those players could be absolute stars and so it's how quickly Poch can get them ticking over, if they're spluttering for too long at the start of the season confidence could drain and that young squad could find it difficult to keep a clear frame of mind. 

I'd say to answer this I have no idea who could get in our team because I don't know any of their qualities enough. Nice boring response. 

I could definitely make a long list of players they have that I'd like / have liked us to sign though, given the opportunity and budget.  

Hi Todd

• Haha 2

I’ve said in the Zaniolo thread that I think he’s being brought in as our back-up to Ollie. Watkins, Zaniolo, Duran will be our main ST with Diaby and Bailey as the second striker. 

Links to Sancho are interesting - I could see us still being in for a true winger as well. 

53 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I didn't even think about checking what wages he is on. That's double our highest paid player, Kamara, going off several sites. Absolute no chance we're signing him on those wages

Yeah he was 2nd highest wage after De Gea so around 300k+ so he wouldn't even be considered by us. 

1 minute ago, nnock1984 said:

I’ve said in the Zaniolo thread that I think he’s being brought in as our back-up to Ollie. Watkins, Zaniolo, Duran will be our main ST with Diaby and Bailey as the second striker. 

Links to Sancho are interesting - I could see us still being in for a true winger as well. 

I think after Emery comments we've moved for him after Buendias injury. The fact it's a loan further backs that up. 

I think Archer sale will mean a move for a striker to compete with Watkins 

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Any good reason we would go for Zaniolo instead of Orban?

Play different positions plus I dont think we were ever in for a striker this window

Monchi knows him quite well after signing him before

9 hours ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Apart from Reece James and Sterling, since Lukaku and Ziyech will never play for them again, who in Chelsea's squad makes our starting eleven, or even our bench? They will be lucky to get eighth this season.

Without stressing about starting 11 or subs, enzo, nkunku, Jackson and Malu gusto would all be in our squad with no issues. Thiago silva was also a very good signing.

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

As he is cover for Buendia. That's why it's a loan with option to buy 

I'm not with you? Buendia was going to be on the bench behind Ramsey or replaced by a new signing.

We could make that same loan to buy offer to Gent if we want?

The point is he comes with less risk as his knees haven't blown up twice. And he hasn't picked up cards willy nilly.

Targeting Zaniolo is so strange.

Doesn't seem sensible to go for a boom or bust when we aren't desperate.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Without stressing about starting 11 or subs, enzo, nkunku, Jackson and Malu gusto would all be in our squad with no issues. Thiago silva was also a very good signing.

Enzo is no better than Luiz or Kamara, just because Chelsea paid over £100m for him.

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm not with you? Buendia was going to be on the bench behind Ramsey or replaced by a new signing.

We could make that same loan to buy offer to Gent if we want?

The point is he comes with less risk as his knees haven't blown up twice. And he hasn't picked up cards willy nilly.

Targeting Zaniolo is so strange.

Doesn't seem sensible to go for a boom or bust when we aren't desperate.

Whatever your personal opinions on the merits of different players. It does seem Emery and Monchi like Zaniolo and he was a player we could move for quickly and get in on loan for what appears to be a small loan fee. Emery said he's not a striker but versatile can play 7, 10 second striker etc.. which is what we've utilised Buendia as under Emery LM RM and second striker / 10.

To me targeting Zaniolo is very smart and they said they moved quickly after they knew about Buendia. We look to have mitigated the Buendia injury as best we could quickly. Impressive if this gets over line in next few days imo. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We were in for him before Buendia got injured. 

That's not actually true though. Emery and Monchi knew a day before us and indicated they made a move in market on back of the information. 

For us we heard the Zaniolo news before Buendia on same day. 

Just now, CVByrne said:

That's not actually true though. Emery and Monchi knew a day before us and indicated they made a move in market on back of the information. 

For us we heard the Zaniolo news before Buendia on same day. 

There were stories highlighting our interest in him earlier in the window.

That doesn't mean we were 'in for him' in any meaningful way, but equally, the interest is clearly a longer term one predating the injury.

2 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

There were stories highlighting our interest in him earlier in the window.

That doesn't mean we were 'in for him' in any meaningful way, but equally, the interest is clearly a longer term one predating the injury.

Yes we have lists of players for positions and we are in contact with agents and the clubs about those and prices, wages etc. Things need to fall into place before you make a move. It's why we were linked with multiple wingers and then when we signed Diaby the links stopped. 

To me the below means they decided to pull the trigger on Zaniolo after the Buendia news. Acted quickly 

“We heard the news yesterday (Wednesday) knowing he (Buendia) was injured,” said Emery. “We were so quick thinking about changing the squad for the challenge we face. We are trying again to manage the players we have and how we can add someone more or not.

This situation has changed a little bit. We have injured players coming back, hopefully as soon as possible over the next weeks. But I want to create a strong structure in the squad with the players and the possibility to occupy each space with two strong players in each position. We speak about usually having 20 to 22 players and then goalkeepers to be strong.”

21 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yes we have lists of players for positions and we are in contact with agents and the clubs about those and prices, wages etc. Things need to fall into place before you make a move. It's why we were linked with multiple wingers and then when we signed Diaby the links stopped. 

To me the below means they decided to pull the trigger on Zaniolo after the Buendia news. Acted quickly 

“We heard the news yesterday (Wednesday) knowing he (Buendia) was injured,” said Emery. “We were so quick thinking about changing the squad for the challenge we face. We are trying again to manage the players we have and how we can add someone more or not.

This situation has changed a little bit. We have injured players coming back, hopefully as soon as possible over the next weeks. But I want to create a strong structure in the squad with the players and the possibility to occupy each space with two strong players in each position. We speak about usually having 20 to 22 players and then goalkeepers to be strong.”

I read this as that they had already been thinking quickly (I.e. getting ahead of things by bringing in Tielemans, Diaby and Torres as quickly as possible), and now they are having to think a little bit more  to either move players out or manage the gaps in the squad.  But who knows 

As far as Zaniolo goes, he's  a very different player to Buendia, so not a doredt replacement, but maybe there aren't  good options for Buendia replacements (and he'll  be back at some point anyway), so possibly  it's a case of looking who else is out there and adapting how we play a little 

Edited by one_ian_taylor
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

I read this as that they had already been thinking quickly (I.e. getting ahead of things by bringing in Tielemans, Diaby and Torres as quickly as possible), and now they are having to think a little bit more  to either move players out or manage the gaps in the squad.  But who knows 

All open to interpretation. My take is they discussed how to mitigate Buendia injury which is what he started out saying. So how do we adapt the squad as Zaniolo isn't like for like as he's left footed and more a dribbler. So how do they shift plans if we added him etc..

• Like 2