Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Some odd examples here :D 

Bold bit would be more like you win the lottery for £15m but realise that you can claim an extra £5m if you do a photoshoot holding the ticket whilst in your underwear.  You've comfortably got enough for life, there's no need to stretch, but that greedy little voice is saying "go on, do it!".

On the headhunting, I don't think most people would take the gamble for a pay rise (it depends what "huge" is and what variables are in play).  If I'm happy at work, love my colleagues and am happy with my pay, would I really risk that whole environment purely for a bit more money?  For me, it's a no.

The lottery bit I would to be fair...

The work bit, it's a no from me too but that came with experience, more money but lose my line manager wouldn't be worth it, worked with too many assholes (kw) and know the risk of moving - not convinced football works like that though tbf, it's far more turnover based than the real world

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

On the headhunting, I don't think most people would take the gamble for a pay rise (it depends what "huge" is and what variables are in play).  If I'm happy at work, love my colleagues and am happy with my pay, would I really risk that whole environment purely for a bit more money?  For me, it's a no.

Really? I think most people would.  It’s one of the reasons recruitment firms are prevalent.  People move for career ambition but also for more money.  I don’t think I know anybody who hasn’t moved jobs for more money at some point.  Yes people have stayed for environment or moved for career advancement but many have moved for more money.

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

It means every time you get a jump in salary, whether through a promotion, job move, inheritance, lottery win etc. Your lifestyle creeps upwards with the money.

If you earn £25k you could be perfectly happy in your current life, perhaps want a better holiday once a year...so you go and earn £35k and suddenly the better holiday isn't enough, you'd like a new car and a 2nd holiday.

At £60k maybe you want a bigger house than the one you've been happy with since £25k. Your problems aren't just solved by earning money you dreamed of a few years prior as your lifestyle creeps up with the money

Same deal for footballers. They're just doing it with houses, women, cars, exclusive holidays, yachts and jets etc.

Ah thank you, makes sense. Just never seen or heard the term before. 👍

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

You are in the other 5% then 

Are you suggesting that if the right offer came in, 95% of Premier League players would move to the Saudi League? That would be quite stunning.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Really? I think most people would.  It’s one of the reasons recruitment firms are prevalent.  People move for career ambition but also for more money.  I don’t think I know anybody who hasn’t moved jobs for more money at some point.  Yes people have stayed for environment or moved for career advancement but many have moved for more money.

Well of course you move to enhance your role and/or pay, but people would surely weigh up where they work, what it provides etc.  It would be utterly insane not too and just look at an extra £5k/£10k a year and go "yeah, deffo moving mate".

Not everyone is motivated most by money.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree at a very high level

but

Is there a difference between getting a big pay rise transfer to Newcastle or Man City compared to one of the Saudi clubs let’s say from a club on equal footing? Given they are run by these same regimes.

Is moving from a PL club to us (Villa) helping the harmful now we are promoting gambling through our sponsor?

The problem is where is the line of what is acceptable.  Those of us who have cars that use more petrol because they are fancier, with petrol from these regimes…is it greed when we could had a low fuel or even electric car?

I accept it can be complicated because the world is very complicated and it is easy to be pulled up on hypocrisies left right and centre to a certain degree. Considering where everything from oil through clothes and food and smart phones are produced, at an extreme point one could argue the only way to live a really ethical life free of greed is to live off grid on a yurt, but the worry I have with is that can create an all or nothing way of excusing behaviours, where if we aren't vegans living in a house made of poo we can't express criticisms of other elements of life without being called a hypocrite. 

There will always be a way of defending the status quo, I mean I live it, I drive a car and would happily take a lottery win. It's why sometimes I do check myself, not very successfully, when I'm annoyed with the world. I know someone can go "yeah but" or "well where was the criticism with X ( i.e. say Abramovich ) in the past" etc which maybe is fair, maybe it's not I don't know.

All lines are going to be arbitrary, and to a certain extent frustration with sport is a product of a creeping environment, of one little negative here, another one there and it just builds up, that doesn't help either. But lines need to be drawn somewhere. One analogy I read recently was with the BMI index for health, in many respects it's a load of bollocks, in terms of denoting what counts as obese or not, ultimately if it's 30, 31 or 29, the differences may be slight, but associated health risks increase as the number goes up, a line is a way of giving a tangible reference point, a marker that says hang on a minute fella you might want to have a salad or two. It's not an exact comparator for sport, but without any lines being drawn we are saying anything goes. 

Criticism has been present in all the previous takeoevers of just generally dodgy businessmen, and other ( usually commerical ) developments, grumbling commentaries in the papers or on forums, but ultimately people sighed and go "that's the way it is how depressing" and then slowly get used to the new way of things happening and re-set their expectations, because no one likes to change their habits. For me there must be a finite limit to how many times I can sigh, shake my head and carry on (at least I think!) before re-aligning myself to the new world order just becomes too depressing. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, matt_1874 said:

Yes please, was reading an article in The Athletic last week about Retegui & I kinda hoped we were looking at him! 

Only really had 1  good seasons so far in Argentina but still only 24 & sounds a beast

Mateo Retegui: The gluttonous goalscorer who Mancini likens to Batistuta

Behind a paywall - https://theathletic.com/4673436/2023/07/10/mateo-retegui-mancini-italy-transfer/

He’s like Batistuta?! 😱 No way…

spacer.png

Duran out on loan you’d assume. Naka off to Luton. Wesley who knows. No Hause either. We are very short up front, on the wings and at right back. But lots of the window to address this. 

10 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Are you suggesting that if the right offer came in, 95% of Premier League players would move to the Saudi League? That would be quite stunning.

Actually, i think that would happen with the 'right' offer. Obviously that right offer would need to be much much higher than their current salary.  Also, the first 10 players moving are trailblazers and hard to do, the next 50 are a minority, then for the next 500 it becomes pretty normal.