Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

38 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I just don’t understand some of our fans at times…

People on Twitter calling him a “f*****g t**t” for instance… WTF? Grow up 🤣

Are we really going to be upset, annoyed or underwhelmed if actually, somehow manage to sign him? 🤣

It’s not happening anyway, but why the need to shit on such a player?

I’m sure it’s the same for all fan bases, but our twitter following is embarrassing to the club 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

It amounts to the same thing, though, and the whole purpose was to stop us or Vitoria having any sort of advantage by moving players around etc. 

Wouldn't have been an issue if we were in different competitions.  The purpose is to stop Vitoria (or us) fielding a poor team if it helps the other to go through to the next round, or to stop us loaning them a load of good players so they knock out good team(s) and then recall them before they play us.  Also to stop the two teams from sharing data / ideas on how best to counteract certain teams / players.  Next year if we are in different competitions then we can share as much info as we like, transfer / loan players between the two clubs.  I think UEFA (?) do have rules in place to ensure that transfers are not blatantly fraudulent (i.e. clubs with shared owners aren't buying / selling at eroneous prices to bypass FFP) and there are geneal money laundering laws in place that do similar in terms of fraudulent valutions of assets being transferred between countries).  However, given some of the prices, fees and wages already agreed - I don't know how they can prevent a Saudi team from buying ASM for £45m and doubling his wages.  I mean if SG can legally sign a contract on 3x the salary of Emery then pretty much anything goes...  The danger is that the Saudi thing results in a blanket ban on multi-team ownership which will be a massive blow to teams like us.  And more to the point that won't stop the Saudi state from doing it as they will just create multiple companies that show no linked ownership but ultimately are all owned by the state.

Edited by allani

5 minutes ago, allani said:

Wouldn't have been an issue if we were in different competitions.  The purpose is to stop Vitoria (or us) fielding a poor team if it helps the other to go through to the next round, or to stop us loaning them a load of good players so they knock out good team(s) and then recall them before they play us.  Also to stop the two teams from sharing data / ideas on how best to counteract certain teams / players.  Next year if we are in different competitions then we can share as much info as we like, transfer / loan players between the two clubs.  I think UEFA (?) do have rules in place to ensure that transfers are not blatantly fraudulent (i.e. clubs with shared owners aren't buying / selling at eroneous prices to bypass FFP) and there are geneal money laundering laws in place that do similar in terms of fraudulent valutions of assets being transferred between countries).  However, given some of the prices, fees and wages already agreed - I don't know how they can prevent a Saudi team from buying ASM for £45m and doubling his wages.  I mean if SG can legally sign a contract on 3x the salary of Emery then pretty much anything goes...  The danger is that the Saudi thing results in a blanket ban on multi-team ownership which will be a massive blow to teams like us.  And more to the point that won't stop the Saudi state from doing it as they will just create multiple companies that show no linked ownership but ultimately are all owned by the state.

Tbh I think this is the only way to go right now. There's always someone who ruins it for everyone else. 

If Joao Felix wanted to join Unai Emery's "project", and Villa were able to put a suitable package together for him, it would be an amazing leap forward for AVFC. Our growing reputation as a potentially big club would be immediately enhanced.

Felix was feted to be potentially one of the most talented footballers in the world. His big mistake was allowing Benfica and his agent to sell him to Atletico Madrid managed by the dour and aggressive Diego Simeone. His individual flair was immediately submerged beneath totally defensive non possession type football. Even the two front men in Simeone's 4-4-2 were considered to be the front two defenders, putting on the highest part of Simeone's block. Turnover football did not play to Felix's skills and technical ability and neither did total protection of a 1-0 lead for large parts of a match. The instruction to take long shots straight after a turn over was also a waste of his talent.

It's no wonder that he became disillusioned and fell out with Simeone. Going to Chelsea on loan must have felt like a real opportunity, until he was confronted by the reality of a team in the middle of a major car crash!

The questions I ask myself are these .... Would Felix get on with Unai Emery? Would he flourish playing Emery type football? Would Unai be able to bring out the player that Joao was predicted to become before he was damaged by the "Simeone bulldozer".

He is still only 23, and has his best years ahead of him. To me he is a very exciting (if previously unlikely) prospect. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, sne said:

The thing that could make this happen is if Jorge Mendez advises him to come here. Still not sure how the finances would work thou. 

How far do you think we could stretch in terms of wage and fee? Maybe we could extend to 180-200k, bloody Digne is on 163k, for an exceptional player but the future transfer fee is likely to be huge. I guess the question is, how much of a hit would Atletico be willing to take?

The longer this goes on, and as long as Simeone is there, both club and player will have to lower their demands… that’s the main reason there’s a lack of demand and genuine interest. They’ve made things more difficult by pricing themselves out so much…

Edited by Jas10

Just now, Jas10 said:

How far do you think we could stretch in terms of wage and future transfer fee? Maybe we could extend to 180-200k, bloody Digne is on 163k, for an exceptional player but the future transfer fee is likely to be huge. I guess the question is, how much of a hit would Atletico be willing to take?

The longer this goes on, and as long as Simeone is there, both club and player will have to lower their demands… that’s the main reason there’s a lack of demand and genuine interest. They’ve made things more difficult by pricing themselves out so much…

I have no idea honestly. Some of the names that's been speculated about are so far away from our current players in salary that' it's comical. Lukaku and Sancho are supposedly on more than twice what Digne is.

Felix on loan, who knows. He's young, a big name and huge talent. Can't see him dropping money to move here so depends on what Madrid are willing to do. Would be a pleasant surprise if this happened.

25 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Tbh I think this is the only way to go right now. There's always someone who ruins it for everyone else. 

I think that it is definitely going to be looked at VERY closely.  The trouble is that the people doing it for the wrong reasons will just find ways of creating different companies who can then buy different clubs - when everyone knows that the actual ownera are the same State.  The owners / clubs who are setting up proper academies that offer benefits through the entire structure will be the ones that are easier to identify and the easiest to shut down.  Meanwhile the big, established clubs will be allowed to carry on raping the system and the State owned clubs will continue to offload players they can't afford to keep to other State owned clubs (who have no FFP regulations to worry about).  It does hugely impact the level of risk around transfers when certain clubs know that they can buy player X for £60 million on £250k a week and know that they can just palm him off on a club outside Europe for a profit or pay off a £300k fine for breaking FFP rules.  You kind of feel that international money laundering laws are the only way of trying to prevent it - but the timescale of taking a case to court is probably unfeasible and I can't see any country willing to impose financial sanctions on Saudi Arabia over a football transfer (especially when so few countries are prepared to call out certain regimes on much more important issues).

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

We haven't got infinite funds or FFP headroom so I can't see Diaby, Johnson and a striker, as well as potentially Felix. I think it will be probably be Diaby another striker and possibly Felix or similar IF we can shift coutinho. 

But surely breaking FFP rules these days just means a slap on the wrist and a £300k fine???  But yeah - no chance of 4 "big" (in terms of reputation / prices rather than physical size) attacking signings unless we have things in place to offload several players.

43 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

So apparently Stan Collymore has just tweeted and deleted pictures of both Felix and Lukaku (i managed to get a screenshot of the Lukaku posting).

Now replaced with a photo of 2 lions...

Seems incredibly unlikely and not sure how much Stan would know tbh.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

We haven't got infinite funds or FFP headroom so I can't see Diaby, Johnson and a striker, as well as potentially Felix. I think it will be probably be Diaby another striker and possibly Felix or similar IF we can shift coutinho. 

No of course, but we’re not heavily restricted either. We have money to spend and the ability to do so, we’ve already heard that it’s going to be a bold(er) summer of transfer activity with less restriction/limitation as before and… we do have players to offload too… that might help generate a few extra funds but mainly make room in our wage budget…

We have more freedom and capacity in the market than we have ever had since we were promoted…

But yeah, we can’t and won’t go crazy. I’d imagine it would be one expensive winger rather than two, I just can’t see Félix happening but can see an alternative type of player coming in - it seems we have quite a few options…

If we get those main targets in, we might spend smaller fees on some young players with potential to boost the squad and/or maybe one or two experienced guys to help out…

We shall see…

1 minute ago, allani said:

But surely breaking FFP rules these days just means a slap on the wrist and a £300k fine???  But yeah - no chance of 4 "big" (in terms of reputation / prices rather than physical size) attacking signings unless we have things in place to offload several players.

Crazy how favoured and protected the “big clubs” are, even if some of them have had their day… that’s what FFP was for…

Man U punishment was light as f, a perceived “lesser team” would no doubt have been punished more severely.

Not to mention good old 115 offences Citeh… the corruption and hypocrisy is rife…

Saudi Arabia FC will continue to be up to all sorts too…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Why the hell is the Felix thread still in off topic?! Give the people what they want!

Nothing resembling a concrete link or offer is there really?

I think it’s dreamland stuff tbh

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Why the hell is the Felix thread still in off topic?! Give the people what they want!

Thought that earlier 🤔 & if believed by numerous outlets were the only club with an offer on the table for him 💁‍♂️

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

So apparently Stan Collymore has just tweeted and deleted pictures of both Felix and Lukaku (i managed to get a screenshot of the Lukaku posting).

Now replaced with a photo of 2 lions...

He knows nothing 

Just now, Frodo said:

Thought that earlier 🤔 & if believed by numerous outlets were the only club with an offer on the table for him 💁‍♂️

No suggestion of an actual offer yet, just an apparent “interest”…