Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

In an ideal world, we’ll pay less and get better quality.

But it doesn’t always work that way nor is it that easy.

At some point, you’ll have to spend “big” to get that high level or high quality player in…

No one’s advocating us spending like crazy unless we have the capacity to do so.

How many properly successful clubs operate on a shoestring budget?

Seville. Which is why we’ve bought in Monchi.  

27 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Whilst we can't make definitive statements an undeniable fact is Monchi's history in the market. His CV is not one that screams splashing out club record fees on big name players.

Understood, we don’t have to spend club record fees (more than once or twice maybe) but we can’t expect to consistently bring in top class players (that enhance the team) for less than £25m or so either…

A bit of both… we don’t have to be too restrictive and can set our sights a bit higher…

Why would Unai and Monchi join us if it’s just going to be “more of the same”? Something must have attracted them here… and they wouldn’t have been easy to pull away from their respective clubs either…

We shall see anyway…

• Like 1

I have the feeling that we are prepared to spend £40m - £50m on two forwards. The links to Tammy, Felix and Diaby suggest that is the case to me. I think if the player will come, then we will be willing to make it happen for UE. In the case of the three mentioned injury and an unwillingness to join a club that isn't in the CL, may well scupper any deal. I'm sure we have and are working on other similar targets. That may well be why we haven't turned to players that are lower down our lists such as Gnonto or Barnes. I'm hoping that we can bring in another 2-3 less costly players (at Moreno like fees/quality) that will strengthen our squad and our two signings to date have been a terrific start to this window. Sooner the better, but I appreciate such deals may take time. 

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I don’t give a crap how much we spend or don’t spend as long the players we buy are better than what we have.

This talk of ‘going big’ is horseshit as I’d rather buy ‘player A’ for £10m instead of in a few seasons when he’s worth £100m . 

How do you know 'player A' (and i'm not naming names here) won't be sold to Turkey in a few years for £6m, and then get released. 

That risk is worth taking when you are trying to get from lower Prem small spenders to the next level. The risk becomes much higher as the stakes get higher- Europe, CL, Top 4, whilst the reward stays the same. 

We're not in a position where we need to take a risk on players, particularly when you generally only get a run of 1 or 2 seasons to try and establish yourself on that top tier. By all means look at promising talent, developable talent, but when you get an opportunity to get elite talent, you gotta take it if you are us right now. 

We got lucky with Pau's price tag, but even at a higher price it sends a message to the rest of the league, which can be worth millions in revenue in and of itself. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Seville. Which is why we’ve bought in Monchi.  

I think the OP was talking of budgets in terms of the big European clubs. Sevilla won 3 successive EL but made no difference in terms of them challenging the big clubs in the league or being seen as a European heavyweight in line with the likes of bayern etc.None of the established big teams in Europe are doing most of their shopping in the bargain bin hoping to find a hidden gem.

I'm sure Monchi will balance the need for big players to improve us and those that we can develop for the future,rather then adopt the same approach he did at Sevilla, which was predominantly in the budget end of the market. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I think the OP was talking of budgets in terms of the big European clubs. Sevilla won 3 successive EL but made no difference in terms of them challenging the big clubs in the league or being seen as a European heavyweight in line with the likes of bayern etc.None of the established big teams in Europe are doing most of their shopping in the bargain bin hoping to find a hidden gem.

I'm sure Monchi will balance the need for big players to improve us and those that we can develop for the future,rather then adopt the same approach he did at Sevilla, which was predominantly in the budget end of the market. 

Fair enough but if the OP or anybody else expects this under Emery and Monchi. I personally think they’ll be disappointed. 

26 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Such an Everton signing

Yeah the PL tax on him is just silly. He's young-ish and fast and pretty talented. But he's shown nothing to be a £25m or so player

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Our rival is stepping up…we’d better watch out.

That's not proper blooossseee mate.

BuCkEt 'At's PrOpEr ViLe.

PeAkY bLiNdEr caps, BrOnX hAtS or GTFO....

Mate.

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

How would you compare him to someone like Gnonto, for instance?

I wonder if we bring in a couple of top class players to enhance the team and a few players to develop who could become future stars too…

I’ve probably watched more Luiz Henrique than Gnonto , I suppose LH is stronger physically and taller whereas Gnonto seem a bit more direct and quick. it’s a toss up between both different players in some aspects yes but not a lot to separate them either.

• Thanks 1

Based on nothing at all, I reckon we’ll spend up to another £100m. 

Attacking players:

1 - breaking our transfer record - up to £50m 

1 - around 25-30m

Back up GK - under £10m (I hope a lot less)

RB - under £10m

and then maybe one to work on like that young lb we’ve been linked to.