Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Any player can be a one season wonder it's when defences wise upto you the next season we will find out if he has the minerals.

I suspect like others we will enquire about multiple wide players and play clubs off against each other.

1 minute ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Make noises for Johnson to smoke out Ferran? 

Well if Barca think we are 'set to break our transfer record' for Johnson, it won't help our negotiation for Torres. Mundo Deportivo (insert source reputation comment here) reckon a loan to buy for £20M is do-able for Torres, but I guess they will up that instantly to £34.5M when they realise we'd pay at least that for Johnson. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I do get the feeling we’re overlooking the fact that we probably need sell a few players to fund new acquisitions. With that being the case, who do we think could fetch decent money? I’m afraid it’s highly unlikely the likes of Nakamba, Chambers and Sanson are going to command big fees so I guess the following might be available? 

Bailey
Cash
Digne
Konsa
Buendia
Coutinho
Archer
Carlos
Dendoncker

Im not advocating selling any of the above as it’s important to have a decent squad, im just not naive to the fact that we need to generate revenue as well as spend it!

If these players are as bad as you say they are we would be unlikely to get a fiver between them. Maybe they could throw in a bag of Monster Munch to seal the deal! 

• Haha 1

I do get the feeling we’re overlooking the fact that we probably need sell a few players to fund new acquisitions. With that being the case, who do we think could fetch decent money? I’m afraid it’s highly unlikely the likes of Nakamba, Chambers and Sanson are going to command big fees so I guess the following might be available? 

Bailey
Cash
Digne
Konsa
Buendia
Coutinho
Archer
Carlos
Dendoncker

Im not advocating selling any of the above as it’s important to have a decent squad, im just not naive to the fact that we need to generate revenue as well as spend it!

Konsa 😧

I actually think if we got that no.10 / winger right, and that was our last signing of the summer, we’d be in pretty good shape next season!

Olsen still at number two ?

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If we got Ferran Torres or Brennan Johnson we are in good shape. We'd switch focus to moving players on then. 

I think we need both.

We need 2 attacking players one a winger and one that can play as a 2nd striker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Exactly. I don't doubt we'd be interested, as he's a good young prospect. But he's not really proven enough yet imo to justify £40+M, and assuming Forest reply to our interest (or that of anyone else really) with that kind of fee, I would guess that most if not all suiters would be, like, 'ah, fair enough then, we'll see what he's like in a couple of years'. 

Yeah most likely but if we are interested and we know that they flat out rejected £30m last month from Brentford I think, then we must be willing to go into that £40m+ range to get him.

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

The point of getting young talent is to get potential cheaply (albeit with risk). If it aint cheap, what's the point. For 40M you could get a good proven international from Europe. 

Yeah but if those foreign talents turn you down like Williams and Asensio then you have to look and think about paying the UK premium for local players.  As for cheap….what is cheap today for a 22 year old, PL experience, English, attacking player….you could argue £40m is still relatively cheap (can’t believe I’m saying that) but if Emery thinks he’s going to be a star then other English midfielders like Mount £55m, Grealish £100m, Rice £100m+, Bellingham £100m+, Maddison £40m.  It’s the kind of price you are paying at a minimum.

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

I will be honest whenever I saw Forest last season, Gibbs-White was always the standout. 

I agree with that.  

I’ve not made my mind up on Johnson to be honest, I’m warming to the idea of buying him.  I can see potential when I did watch him.  Is that enough for a big fee, I’m on the fence.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

Just now, AshVilla said:

I think we need both.

We need 2 attacking players one a winger and one that can play as a 2nd striker.

Yes we do need two attacking players. I think when we get one though we'll probably start the focus on moving players on before we get another player in. I think we need a natural winger who is right footed. Along with the forward / second striker type player

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Gerrards team just spent 25m on Jota from Celtic. 

He's not fit to lace Coutinho's boots that lad. 

Guessing Gerrard thought it was Diogo Jota they signed

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Breaking our transfer record on someone as meh as him would be madness. 

Think I’ll trust the skilled professional scouts and data analysts on that one … is he just meh cause he’s welsh and not Spanish ? 

Re: Brennan Johnson

We just appointed Monchi who I’m sure is a top negotiator, I’m sure the fee for him won’t be that high. Like a few have said I’m really warming to him as one of our attacking options. He’s still a bit raw but his profile and Emery’s magic could be perfect together. It is also interesting the noise is that he’s joining the same agency as the Ramsey bros as well 🤔

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Not appreciably, we're pushing for entry into the top 4, and we had the 8th highest wage bill last year (75M), that's less than half the wage bill of the top 4 teams. Our revenue was on the lower side at 169M, which is the 8th lowest in the Prem. At the end of the day to compete on the field we need to pay big boy wages. The main issue with the equation seems to be our below average revenue, which obviously needs to come up drastically. Enter our new marketing team. 

The alternative is to keep the low revenue, low wages model which might get us winning over a season or two, but in the long term will hinder us. 

Brighton and Brentford are anomalies, and will also need to grapple with this going forward. You can't rely on unearthing prodigious talent for peanuts every year. That won't work forever.  

Nice post completely true.

someone posted a link on saying we were interested in Koopmeiners earlier said 30… I think 40.

they posted the link mentioning me as I raves about him every window for a few years.

now you might be thinking so what? What does this have to do with my post?

Well I think he would be good competition for Kamara, I obviously like the player. 
But back then he was 3/4 years younger and was something like 10m quid. The same with Sangare when he went to PSV.

in other words you could sign them, they increase in value and you have the option to book a big profit, they also coke with much lower wages than if you are signing them for 40m.

Now if you are a big 6 club they have the revenue to pay that 40 million fee and the according wage. If the player does well it is money well spent keeping them in those top positions.

For us that isn’t the case he has (and the other signings too if they are of that ilk) to do well, AND get us into those big six positions every year or we won’t be able to replace him/them in 5/6 years time as we don’t have the revenue.

Just seen on Sky Sports, they were talking about Florian Balogun of Arsenal, stating they want 50m for him.

like....wtf.....which idiots make these prices up?

Whoever they are, they must have an IQ that matches their shoe size.

16 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Think I’ll trust the skilled professional scouts and data analysts on that one … is he just meh cause he’s welsh and not Spanish ? 

Same - which is why I don't think we'll sign him because he's not showing enough to justify 50m or whatever they want. His data is available and it's not really that impressive. 

Nationality has absolutely nothing to do with it - don't be silly. 

• Like 2