Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

29 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We need a winger/forward signed now. With those 3 signings we're at least in good shape for next season 

Yeah, we need to be a lot less reliant on Watkins too while becoming more ruthless/clinical as a team. As is, we’re in a hole if Ollie gets injured…

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Hasn't Gerrard already confirmed he isn't going to take the manager's job there?! This story has to be BS unfortunately. 

He’s took the job confirmed today 

23 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yeh. I mean, that’s just wishful thinking. Our wage bill is tremendously high. This idea that we can just continue spending is ridiculous. We’ll need to move players on this summer. 

Not appreciably, we're pushing for entry into the top 4, and we had the 8th highest wage bill last year (75M), that's less than half the wage bill of the top 4 teams. Our revenue was on the lower side at 169M, which is the 8th lowest in the Prem. At the end of the day to compete on the field we need to pay big boy wages. The main issue with the equation seems to be our below average revenue, which obviously needs to come up drastically. Enter our new marketing team. 

The alternative is to keep the low revenue, low wages model which might get us winning over a season or two, but in the long term will hinder us. 

Brighton and Brentford are anomalies, and will also need to grapple with this going forward. You can't rely on unearthing prodigious talent for peanuts every year. That won't work forever.  

42 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I actually think if we got that no.10 / winger right, and that was our last signing of the summer, we’d be in pretty good shape next season!

Agreed

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

More Brennan Johnson chatter - I like him but it would be mega money and not sure he’d be worth what Forest would want  

I mean, he's a decent player, but I don't think anyone is going to 'smash transfer records' to get him. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

More Brennan Johnson chatter - I like him but it would be mega money and not sure he’d be worth what Forest would want  

I’m really warming to getting him after initially not being bothered.  The fee I’m not so bothered about as he’s a local, only 22 years old and has attributes we want.  The debate is his ceiling and thus his value.  Anything around £40m would be great but I expect the fee to be a bit higher.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

I mean, he's a decent player, but I don't think anyone is going to 'smash transfer records' to get him. 

If there is truth we are interested in him, then we would have to smash our transfer record to get him and we’d know that.  It’s just if we are interested and there is a lot of smoke to suggest there is something in the rumours.

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If there is truth we are interested in him, then we would have to smash our transfer record to get him and we’d know that.  It’s just if we are interested and there is a lot of smoke to suggest there is something in the rumours.

Exactly. I don't doubt we'd be interested, as he's a good young prospect. But he's not really proven enough yet imo to justify £40+M, and assuming Forest reply to our interest (or that of anyone else really) with that kind of fee, I would guess that most if not all suiters would be, like, 'ah, fair enough then, we'll see what he's like in a couple of years'. 

The point of getting young talent is to get potential cheaply (albeit with risk). If it aint cheap, what's the point. For 40M you could get a good proven international from Europe. 

I will be honest whenever I saw Forest last season, Gibbs-White was always the standout. 

Edited by HKP90
typo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Don't see why we have to sell. Someone worked out a few pages back that We're still well under our FFP cap, we've got most of our recent targets for peanuts, and our owners are loaded.

If you mean the tweet thread, it completely missed the mark on how FFP works.

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m really warming to getting him after initially not being bothered.  The fee I’m not so bothered about as he’s a local, only 22 years old and has attributes we want.  The debate is his ceiling and thus his value.  Anything around £40m would be great but I expect the fee to be a bit higher.

Breaking our transfer record on someone as meh as him would be madness. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The impression I have is a big(ger) sale would be needed next summer, rather than this one. I think we can probably get away with a few departures at lower transfer fees this summer and it not impact our spending. Next summer would be different.

Maybe the hope is it will be something like a new wide forward or two come in this summer for £25-35m each, they typically occupy the starting XI slots instead of Bailey and Buendia, but B&B have relatively successful seasons in a reduced capacity. We qualify for the Europa league, they look good and we can sell one or both for £20m+ each and bring in a replacement or two.

Something like that, anyway.

I think it might have been that Gregg Evans discussion that suggested selling Kamara would be a possibility. Now I know that is something basically no one wants to do. But he would represent a huge bonus with FFP and we did well while he was injured (Kamara only played around two games worth of minutes in our ten game run, missed the Newcastle win in its entirety, missed the Brentford demolition, only played ten minutes of the Man Utd win…).

Again, not something I would want, I don’t think selling our best players is typically a good way to progress. But perhaps the idea shouldn’t be discounted as a possibility.

Adding to what you say, these are the areas where Monchi and Heck should help and why they will have been brought in.

Heck to help increase our revenue streams and value.

Monchi to help get us high value/potential players, get the highest value for our players if they are to be sold etc.

Ideal scenario is that we are also very successful on the pitch.

This would offsett the need for us to sell on our most valued assets imo.

I reckon this is a part of the reason for massive investment into youth. I think people underestimate how much teams can earn from churning out and selling on good youth.

Ideally if players need to be moved on you have their replacements even within the ranks already.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

Hasn't Gerrard already confirmed he isn't going to take the manager's job there?! This story has to be BS unfortunately. 

He did a u turn it seems.

Maybe he was just playing hard to get.

Or thought he would get a better offer, which never came. Lol

• Like 1