Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I do get the feeling we’re overlooking the fact that we probably need sell a few players to fund new acquisitions. With that being the case, who do we think could fetch decent money? I’m afraid it’s highly unlikely the likes of Nakamba, Chambers and Sanson are going to command big fees so I guess the following might be available? 

Bailey
Cash
Digne
Konsa
Buendia
Coutinho
Archer
Carlos
Dendoncker

Im not advocating selling any of the above as it’s important to have a decent squad, im just not naive to the fact that we need to generate revenue as well as spend it!

Don't see why we have to sell. Someone worked out a few pages back that We're still well under our FFP cap, we've got most of our recent targets for peanuts, and our owners are loaded.

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Don't see why we have to sell. Someone worked out a few pages back that We're still well under our FFP cap, we've got most of our recent targets for peanuts, and our owners are loaded.

Yeh. I mean, that’s just wishful thinking. Our wage bill is tremendously high. This idea that we can just continue spending is ridiculous. We’ll need to move players on this summer. 

59 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

A quick glance at the age of our defence, highlights the fact that from now on we have to sign much younger players if we're building for the future. Five of our key defenders are 30 years old, and one of them Diego Carlos has yet to prove that he can be the player he was before his catastrophic injury. Konsa 25 and Cash 25 are our only younger defenders with Chambers 28 (likely to be sold this summer) and either Konsa and Cash might decide to push for a move (depending on who gets the RB spot) in order to play regular first team football, if either or both are used mainly as bench and cup players this season.

30 is hardly old these days, and actually playing wise, Mings hasn’t played a lot, compared to some who were first teasers at 16 (Tielemans etc). Then add in the likes of Feeney and Smith who are works in progress at a younger age. I don’t think we need to worry just yet about the age of our defence. In 2 yrs time, then the conversation could be had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Robert Sanchez is now 3rd choice at Brighton after they signed Bart Verbruggen… Worth a cheeky bid as back up / replacement to Martinez 

You’ve planted this in my mind now… I want it to happen… seems the perfect move. Wonder what the fee would be, how long left on his contract?

Just think he would want to be first choice somewhere though…

Bye Olsen 🥾 

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We need a winger/forward signed now. With those 3 signings we're at least in good shape for next season 

I actually think if we got that no.10 / winger right, and that was our last signing of the summer, we’d be in pretty good shape next season!

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I do get the feeling we’re overlooking the fact that we probably need sell a few players to fund new acquisitions. With that being the case, who do we think could fetch decent money? I’m afraid it’s highly unlikely the likes of Nakamba, Chambers and Sanson are going to command big fees so I guess the following might be available? 

Bailey
Cash
Digne
Konsa
Buendia
Coutinho
Archer
Carlos
Dendoncker

Im not advocating selling any of the above as it’s important to have a decent squad, im just not naive to the fact that we need to generate revenue as well as spend it!

tbh, as much as transfer fees are nice, with the new plan to work towards X% of revenue on salaries, getting ineffective salaries off the books, and ideally replacing them with salaried players that proportionally have a big impact on the team, is a huge issue.

image.png.3fc84c101838a9be99e86de200303b56.png

Not saying this is exact, but these general figures are on a fair few sites, even if its a few tens of thousands out in total, those players still account for HALF A MILLION POUNDS A WEEK!, and most of them provide little or nothing to the improvement of the team.

So yeah, we need to get some money in, but we also need to sort out our wages, review the £ vs effectiveness equation, and spend those freed up wages on players who actually do something for us.

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Bailey
Cash
Digne
Konsa
Buendia
Coutinho
Archer
Carlos

The impression I have is a big(ger) sale would be needed next summer, rather than this one. I think we can probably get away with a few departures at lower transfer fees this summer and it not impact our spending. Next summer would be different.

Maybe the hope is it will be something like a new wide forward or two come in this summer for £25-35m each, they typically occupy the starting XI slots instead of Bailey and Buendia, but B&B have relatively successful seasons in a reduced capacity. We qualify for the Europa league, they look good and we can sell one or both for £20m+ each and bring in a replacement or two.

Something like that, anyway.

I think it might have been that Gregg Evans discussion that suggested selling Kamara would be a possibility. Now I know that is something basically no one wants to do. But he would represent a huge bonus with FFP and we did well while he was injured (Kamara only played around two games worth of minutes in our ten game run, missed the Newcastle win in its entirety, missed the Brentford demolition, only played ten minutes of the Man Utd win…).

Again, not something I would want, I don’t think selling our best players is typically a good way to progress. But perhaps the idea shouldn’t be discounted as a possibility.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

tbh, as much as transfer fees are nice, with the new plan to work towards X% of revenue on salaries, getting ineffective salaries off the books, and ideally replacing them with salaried players that proportionally have a big impact on the team, is a huge issue.

image.png.3fc84c101838a9be99e86de200303b56.png

Not saying this is exact, but these general figures are on a fair few sites, even if its a few tens of thousands out in total, those players still account for HALF A MILLION POUNDS A WEEK!, and most of them provide little or nothing to the improvement of the team.

So yeah, we need to get some money in, but we also need to sort out our wages, review the £ vs effectiveness equation, and spend those freed up wages on players who actually do something for us.

Whoever gave Davis a contract like that needs to hung drawn and quartered. 

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yeh. I mean, that’s just wishful thinking. Our wage bill is tremendously high. This idea that we can just continue spending is ridiculous. We’ll need to move players on this summer. 

Yeah we defo need to move on some players, for som actually money.

I'm fine if we can have a slightly smaller, but much more high quality SQUAD, supplemented by youth, who will all be used.

Instead of our annual Bomb Squad excess types.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Where did you get that table from? I could only find this...?

Screenshot 2023-07-03 153339.png

i just googled "Aston Villa weekly wages", then just compared 2-3 of the sites that had the info, and tried to take what i thought looked.....kinda......probably right?!!?

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Bailey
Cash
Digne
Konsa
Buendia
Coutinho
Archer
Carlos
Dendoncker

Interesting List. I'm sure there's no chance whatsoever that Konsa,Buendia,Archer and Carlos would be sold. There's a decent chance the others could be if bids come in

Konsa and Carlos are the only Right footed Centre halves so can't be sold (They also could feature at RB in Emerys well known system). Archer will be part of the Academy

four that are needed under European rules. Buendia is a solid squad player who will get plenty of playing time.

27 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Bailey
Cash
Digne
Konsa
Buendia
Coutinho
Archer
Carlos
Dendoncker

None of those would raise much apart from maybe Kona and who are proven premier league players.

Martinez would raise a lot of money given his high profile, however we don't need to sell and he is on a long term contract.

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i just googled "Aston Villa weekly wages", then just compared 2-3 of the sites that had the info, and tried to take what i thought looked.....kinda......probably right?!!?

Well that graph is just not accurate is it? What is the point of putting Digne’s day rate on there?

• Haha 2