Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree Jas..........but personally, until I have seen them in a first team environment, I think its hard to judge......playing in lower level football is not always a true reflection of their worth....I think Jacob is an epitome of that.

I don't think its conclusive to see a young player playing in lower level football to form a firm opinion, from our point of view......I accept the coaches have a better eye, but until they are let lose in the big league, even they get some wrong.

I have seen many a young player, who I have had doubts about flourish in the better environment, when they gain confidence in better company.

Its always a tricky one.

All very fair TRO. I have to admit that I didn’t see the potential in JJ at first, but he has been a revelation. Good on Deano for getting him involved and aiding his development, what a player he has been and will be for us!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Our academy now is completely different to what it was in the past, the failure to produce first team players in the past is nothing to do with the current academy set up, the current set up is on an whole other level and scale, so pointless comparing how our youngsters are rated now to how they've been rated in the past.

Current academy players are still very young, none of them expected to break into first team yet, last season we had Philogene, Archer, Ramsey, Iroegbunam all doing well in the Championship, and Kesler improved before his loan was cut short, that's five academy players, not sure if any other club had the amount of young players we had in the Championship, and doing as well as ours, and to add to those Bogarde is no doubt good enough for the Championship already, had offers last season but because had just come back from a year out went to League One to guarantee as much game time as possible, but will almost certainly be in the Championship next season.

They won't all make it with us of course, but we've arguably got more talent in our academy now than we've ever had or had for a long time, this is not by accident, we're investing a lot of money into it, so whilst it's still going to be very difficult for academy players to make it with us, more are likely to than has been the case say over the last ten years or so.

Aaron Ramsey and Iroegbunam I think are the two that I think have the biggest chance of becoming regulars in our squad, I think Bogarde is a similar level to those two but missed a year through injury so is a little behind but I think there's a good chance he will be the next of our youngsters to go to the Championship and impress.

Not sure what to make of Archer, I don't think he's as highly rated as some of the others but he gets goals and assists so always going to be valuable and if gets a chance with us will be well deserved after the way he's upped his game over the last few seasons.

That will always be said after every generation.....That will always be the case, because progress is dynamic, not static......but some comparisons within context can be made.

My point is and I stand by it......until we see them in the environment we expect them to progress to.....we will only speculate, as to if they are good enough.....sure we have to rely on the industry experts, but they can get it wrong too.

My point is not relating to the very young players, but the 20+ ones.

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We are indeed. I’ve personally never doubted McGinn or Ramseys taken. Buendia I like but think he’s too light weight.  Dendonker I think is very poor and it’s not often I say that about our current crop. 

Going back on topic I don’t think much is going to happen for a few more weeks. 

sadly.

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Our academy now is completely different to what it was in the past, the failure to produce first team players in the past is nothing to do with the current academy set up, the current set up is on an whole other level and scale, so pointless comparing how our youngsters are rated now to how they've been rated in the past.

Current academy players are still very young, none of them expected to break into first team yet, last season we had Philogene, Archer, Ramsey, Iroegbunam all doing well in the Championship, and Kesler improved before his loan was cut short, that's five academy players, not sure if any other club had the amount of young players we had in the Championship, and doing as well as ours, and to add to those Bogarde is no doubt good enough for the Championship already, had offers last season but because had just come back from a year out went to League One to guarantee as much game time as possible, but will almost certainly be in the Championship next season.

They won't all make it with us of course, but we've arguably got more talent in our academy now than we've ever had or had for a long time, this is not by accident, we're investing a lot of money into it, so whilst it's still going to be very difficult for academy players to make it with us, more are likely to than has been the case say over the last ten years or so.

Aaron Ramsey and Iroegbunam I think are the two that I think have the biggest chance of becoming regulars in our squad, I think Bogarde is a similar level to those two but missed a year through injury so is a little behind but I think there's a good chance he will be the next of our youngsters to go to the Championship and impress.

Not sure what to make of Archer, I don't think he's as highly rated as some of the others but he gets goals and assists so always going to be valuable and if gets a chance with us will be well deserved after the way he's upped his game over the last few seasons.

Other clubs are starting to notice the growth and influence of our academy, especially in the lower leagues. I have read a growing number of comments, particularly from fans of championship clubs, about the quality and quantity of youngsters from our academy on loan recently. Having players like Archer and AJ performing well for a good team like Middlesbrough helps grab their attention but they have still been impressed with how many are on loan down there.

The physical nature of the Premier League is going to put a cap on what many of these kids can achieve unfortunately. For instance, look at the strikers at the top end of the Premier League - Haaland, Jesus, Gakpo, Nunez, Rashford, Ferguson, Isak. They are all big and/or fast except for Jesus (who has exceptional skill). That's why I hope we look for more power and pace in the transfer market as we have to compete with all that.

• Like 4

It won't be said after every generation because the academy set-up doesn't change after every generation.

The new set-up isn't just a few staff changes, the changes are on an epic scale, there are much more staff now and better at their job, there are satelite academies across the country, link ups with local schools ensuring we get first choice on local talent and other initiative, we're paying for schoolboy age signings to go to private school, paying millions to ensure we get some of the most highly rated youngsters in the country, and scale of the operation is only going to get bigger with link ups with academies in Egypt, Portugal, Sengal, and wherever else, I think there's talk of a South America link up.

Of course some youngsters will get overhyped as always and of course still most won't make it, but now we have a better chance than ever at producing youngsters that will, it's the same principle as the first team, invest enough money and success will follow or much more likely to follow, the same with the academy.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, I Make Pies said:

Other clubs are starting to notice the growth and influence of our academy, especially in the lower leagues. I have read a growing number of comments, particularly from fans of championship clubs, about the quality and quantity of youngsters from our academy on loan recently. Having players like Archer and AJ performing well for a good team like Middlesbrough helps grab their attention but they have still been impressed with how many are on loan down there.

The physical nature of the Premier League is going to put a cap on what many of these kids can achieve unfortunately. For instance, look at the strikers at the top end of the Premier League - Haaland, Jesus, Gakpo, Nunez, Rashford, Ferguson, Isak. They are all big and/or fast except for Jesus (who has exceptional skill). That's why I hope we look for more power and pace in the transfer market as we have to compete with all that.

I think you are spot on....Power, Pace and I would add agility....obviously that is not exclusive....a football brain is required too along with other attributes like composure etc.

When you get knocking on the big door.....you have to have more than just talent.....as crucial as that is.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

It won't be said after every generation because the academy set-up doesn't change after every generation.

The new set-up isn't just a few staff changes, the changes are on an epic scale, there are much more staff now and better at their job, there are satelite academies across the country, link ups with local schools ensuring we get first choice on local talent and other initiative, we're paying for schoolboy age signings to go to private school, paying millions to ensure we get some of the most highly rated youngsters in the country, and scale of the operation is only going to get bigger with link ups with academies in Egypt, Portugal, Sengal, and wherever else, I think there's talk of a South America link up.

Of course some youngsters will get overhyped as always and of course still most won't make it, but now we have a better chance than ever at producing youngsters that will, it's the same principle as the first team, invest enough money and success will follow or much more likely to follow, the same with the academy.

but it does....everything in football changes to some degree....its forever changing, in just about every aspect....so its a moot point.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I gotta say, I just love this kind of comment. The plain-spoken irrationality is right up my alley. Almost a kind of sport mysticism ...

To be fair mate I’ve said that I can’t explain my dislike of the bloke so it probably says more about me than him. 

I genuinely one of life’s lovers that sees the best in everyone, but every now and I take a dislike to people and I can’t always explain why. 

Like I said, that probably reflects more negatively on me than anyone else 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

And to think I got pelters for thinking Dendonker was shit!

I really rate Maddison. Would love him at Villa. 

Good to know not everyone on here is in denial.

57 minutes ago, TRO said:

That will always be said after every generation.....That will always be the case, because progress is dynamic, not static......but some comparisons within context can be made.

My point is and I stand by it......until we see them in the environment we expect them to progress to.....we will only speculate, as to if they are good enough.....sure we have to rely on the industry experts, but they can get it wrong too.

My point is not relating to the very young players, but the 20+ ones.

I wonder how many made it out of the Youth team that won the then Southern Area Junior Floodlit Cup. I know Gidman and Little did, and, I'm guessing here,  Bobby McDonald?

29 minutes ago, av1 said:

To be fair mate I’ve said that I can’t explain my dislike of the bloke so it probably says more about me than him. 

I genuinely one of life’s lovers that sees the best in everyone, but every now and I take a dislike to people and I can’t always explain why. 

Like I said, that probably reflects more negatively on me than anyone else 

There's a counselling term called transference/ counter transference whereby you put thoughts and feelings on to someone that reminds you of someone else. Eg. A classmate that reminds you of an annoying sibling or a teacher that reminds you of a horrible parent/ family member etc.

4 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

There's a counselling term called transference/ counter transference whereby you put thoughts and feelings on to someone that reminds you of someone else. Eg. A classmate that reminds you of an annoying sibling or a teacher that reminds you of a horrible parent/ family member etc.

Ohhhh interesting, does it work the other way around that somebody who looks like somebody you love/like you give more the benefit of the doubt?

edit: is that why they sometimes say women marry somebody who is like/looks like their dad!

Edited by nick76
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Wow thsts very informative. Thank you, I’ll look into it. 

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I wonder how many made it out of the Youth team that won the then Southern Area Junior Floodlit Cup. I know Gidman and Little did, and, I'm guessing here,  Bobby McDonald?

I knew Bobby very well Sheepy.....but I don't know the answer to your question other than he joined Villa in 1971 at 16.

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Ohhhh interesting, does it work the other way around that somebody who looks like somebody you love/like you give more the benefit of the doubt?

edit: is that why they sometimes say women marry somebody who is like/looks like their dad!

Could be something in the dad thing. Someone can be affectionate to an older work colleague who might remind them of a deceased relative for example. And there is erotic transference too.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, av1 said:

Wow thsts very informative. Thank you, I’ll look into it. 

I’ve just read my post back, and thought it sounded sarcastic. 

@chrisvilla4 I genuinely did mean thank you. I will look into that.