Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Bailey isn’t a right winger, I’ve seen him on the left with Villa and he’s been great. The issue is our system doesn’t depend on that. Next season I guess we’ll use different formations so he’ll still be helpful. Williams is different, he’s better while play on the right. 

You can argue that he's better on the left than the right, but that's not where he prefers playing.

He has always been capable of playing on both and has always preferred the right. See this interview with him when he was in the Bundesliga:

I've always said my best position is on the right-hand side. I feel really happy out on the right. And when a player feels happy, he can make a lot happen. I think I can leave the defenders with more to think about. I have more options to go to the left or the right, so I think it's better for me.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/leon-bailey-10-things-on-bayer-leverkusen-s-jamaica-winger-usain-bolt-5302

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomC said:

You can argue that he's better on the left than the right, but that's not where he prefers playing.

He has always been capable of playing on both and has always preferred the right. See this interview with him when he was in the Bundesliga:

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/leon-bailey-10-things-on-bayer-leverkusen-s-jamaica-winger-usain-bolt-5302

We’ve been through this a million times. He prefers playing on the right and cutting in. He’s just not very good at it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, paul514 said:

it doesn’t have to cost a fortune at all he must just be a true number 6 who can resist a press, he doesn’t have to be a good forward passer too. 

That's kind of Nakamba though isn't it and he was deemed not good enough for us or top flight football. 

6 minutes ago, skarroki said:

That's kind of Nakamba though isn't it and he was deemed not good enough for us or top flight football. 

He wasn't able to resist the press at the time and he wasn't playing in this team under this manager.

So…

Goncalves      Watkins

Williams

Ramsey                             Luiz

Kamara

With Tielemans and McGinn competing/rotation in midfield? Oof.

If not Williams, maybe Kang-in or Chukwueze?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Gonçalves and Chukwueze add goals to this Villa team.

Get them in.

Chukwueze doesn't score many.  I think we're probably looking at someone who starts wide, cuts in and threatens the goal rather than an out and out wide player.

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

So…

Goncalves      Watkins

Williams

Ramsey                             Luiz

Kamara

With Tielemans and McGinn competing/rotation in midfield? Oof.

If not Williams, maybe Kang-in or Chukwueze?

I think Tielemans starts instead of Ramsey. With Ramsey / McGinn playing when we play away against Top 8 and we play something closer to a 4-4-2 but with Ramsey / McGinn having a slightly more free role.

4 minutes ago, allani said:

I think Tielemans starts instead of Ramsey. With Ramsey / McGinn playing when we play away against Top 8 and we play something closer to a 4-4-2 but with Ramsey / McGinn having a slightly more free role.

Yeah it’s hard to call really, how great is it to have that amount of strength and competition though? It’s a tough call in terms of who to drop or have on the bench really. Depends on fitness, performance levels and how they suit the system for that particular game.

You wouldn’t really get much of a drop off and each player offers something different, and we can keep them fresh, avoid burnout - suits Unai and how he can differ our approach depending on the opposition…

Edited by Jas10
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah it’s hard to call really, how great is it to have that amount of strength and competition though? It’s a tough call in terms of who to drop or have on the bench really. Depends on fitness, performance levels and how they suit the system for that particular game.

You wouldn’t really get much of a drop off and each player offers something different, and we can keep them fresh, avoid burnout - suits Unai and how he can differ our approach depending on the opposition…

It is brilliant that something that was our biggest weakness (in my opinion) - namely the balance / strength of our midfield has become arguably our greatest strength in less than 9 months.  Love it.  I mean my suggestion above has us bringing Ramsey and McGinn on after 65 minutes - which is just incredible strength.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Can’t see Goncalves now we’ve signed Tielemans 

I think Goncalves plays much further forward now.  Not sure whether he'd be the AM or the 10. But in a 4-3-3 he'd be in the front three not the middle three.

• Like 2