Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

9 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I wonder what sort of numbers we will see? 3-4 players with £100+m net spend? I think that sounds about right. 
I know the squad needs beefing out but we know better than most that buying 12 new players doesn’t work

I think we will see 3 signings and then need to sell some before sign any body else. Quality over quantity this summer. 

8 minutes ago, RichW said:

I think we will see 3 signings and then need to sell some before sign any body else. Quality over quantity this summer. 

I agree, maybe 4 at a push. But it’s a difficult balance as we need a bigger squad for more games/better competition, but integrating more than that might be difficult 

7 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

At the right price, Tyler Adams could be a good bit of business. Leeds defense fell apart without him and all his underlying stats are very good for a CDM and makeshift RB option. 

Would bring some American marketing too as I believe he captains the US national team. 

Brad Freidel was good. Brad Guzan was not. So, we’re due a good American 

11 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

At the right price, Tyler Adams could be a good bit of business. Leeds defense fell apart without him and all his underlying stats are very good for a CDM and makeshift RB option. 

Would bring some American marketing too as I believe he captains the US national team. 

I rate Adams. Good player.

Don't know how obtainable (that a word?) he would be considering the likely competition for him, but I'd love us to go for Romeo Lavia. Huge potential and would probably be happy not starting every single game considering he's so young. And what a pair to learn from - Dougie and Kamara.

Or imagine a 433 with all three of them starting, we wouldn't lose the ball.

Edited by Tom13

30 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I rate Adams. Good player.

Don't know how obtainable (that a word?) he would be considering the likely competition for him, but I'd love us to go for Romeo Lavia. Huge potential and would probably be happy not starting every single game considering he's so young. And what a pair to learn from - Dougie and Kamara.

Or imagine a 433 with all three of them starting, we wouldn't lose the ball.

Considering Chelsea are after Lavia and rumours of the fee being 40-50m we won’t be buying him and him not starting.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Kind of feels like the type of player Villa would sign, and then he'd get injured for 8 months. I feel like we have a type. 

Speaking of Leeds players, there’s rumours Rodrigo has a low relegation release clause. He’s bagged 13 goals for them and seemed to play decent for them, would anyone take him on a 1-2 year deal for additional cover for our forward positions?

2 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Speaking of Leeds players, there’s rumours Rodrigo has a low relegation release clause. He’s bagged 13 goals for them and seemed to play decent for them, would anyone take him on a 1-2 year deal for additional cover for our forward positions?

Yes. 100%.

If we’re not going to try and replace Watkins this Summer, then picking up someone like Rodrigo means we can send Archer or Duran (or both) out on loan.

I feel it would be a smart pick up for a couple of seasons if the 3.5m release clause is true. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

If he was cheap, could be a decent alternative to Bailey.  Better goal output than Leon, would take some of the burden off Ollie.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

No - because we will be signing someone much better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

I wonder what sort of numbers we will see? 3-4 players with £100+m net spend? I think that sounds about right. 
I know the squad needs beefing out but we know better than most that buying 12 new players doesn’t work

To be fair (a) we didn't have a choice but to sign 12 new players, (b) it did work because we avoided relegation and (c) FFP {plus the fact we were a newly promoted team} meant that we were having to buy out of the bargain basement rather than from the specials board.  On the whole I think we did pretty well in the bargain basement bin because those players did enough to keep us up - even if none of them left as top, top players.  We might not have made a killing from selling them but the value they delivered in terms of keeping us in the PL and not having to go back into the Championship more than covers the fact that we didn't make a "paper profit" on many of the individual transfers.

That said we don't need 12 new players this time around.  I think we'll get 3 or 4 "starters" (i.e. players mainly bought to strengthen the first XI), a couple of "prospects" (i.e. players bought to strengthen the bench / squad initially but with the hope that they then kick on and start pushing for starts) and a back-up keeper.  I think we might see a couple of the guys sent out on loan last year stay this year but that most will be given another year at (hopefully) a top of the table Championship side so that they can get regular games.  Whilst that still sound like 6 or 7 players - half of them will (hopefully!) have plenty of time to bed into the club, squad, etc before they become regular players.  We are also looking to fit players into a coherent, cohesive plan - which makes it much easier for them to know what they are supposed to be doing and hence can settle in quicker (see Moreno) AND we know that if any of those players do take time to settle in then actually the players they are coming in for can do a pretty decent job in the meantime.

Edited by allani
  • Like 2

16 y.o CB John Mellberg at Brommapojkarna and the son of Olof Mellberg is currently on his way to sign for Red Bull Salzburg after being scouted by FC Nordsjälland, AIK, Djurgården, Benfica and so on.

Feels like we are missing a huge opportunity here. No beard yet thou.

a212b6e2-26d9-4f2f-b05c-5a14789110ff?fit=crop&format=auto&h=1267&q=50&w=1900&s=4b978db721e5c732c6110daa577ac4867baa8aad

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sne said:

16 y.o CB John Mellberg at Brommapojkarna and the son of Olof Mellberg is currently on his way to sign for Red Bull Salzburg after being scouted by FC Nordsjälland, AIK, Djurgården, Benfica and so on.

a212b6e2-26d9-4f2f-b05c-5a14789110ff?fit=crop&format=auto&h=1267&q=50&w=1900&s=4b978db721e5c732c6110daa577ac4867baa8aad

We're just waiting to sign him when he is 19, has developed his game and can wear a Viking beard like his old man.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Give that kid a burger, STAT.

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Hard to believe that we find 25m “too expensive” in this day and age, it’s great value for a player like Guendouzi.

Maybe it’s more a case of reserving funds for more attack minded players (usually the most costly)… managing the budget in that way, for example.

I'm reading that more as that £25m was the figure discussed during the Jan transfer window - since when Marseilles have signed players in his position (so he is less valuable to them), he's had a dip in form (so he's less valuable generally) and we've gone from lower mid-table to 7th and so are more attractive to other players plus our midfielders have almost all raised their games (so he's less valuable to us).  I suspect that Marseilles might have mentioned wanting more than £25m and we're maybe saying "hmm maybe now he is only worth £20m to us" as a means to ensure that the price doesn't go up.  Of course even if that is true the chance of Gregg knowing anything about it is minimal....