Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I didn’t take that line as we couldn’t afford it, more that they didn’t think he was worth £25m given everything and that they valued him at a lower value.

Sure, I’ve been debating what it meant. Mainly that we’re possibly reserving the bulk of our budget for attacking players.

Personally, I think he’s worth more than 25m but that’s irrelevant 🤣

25 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

If what Purslow has said is correct/accurate, I would expect us to either break our transfer record or bring in multiple 30m+ signings (possibly both).

It’s the right time and we finally have the right manager to go out and do this now.

Again, the idea that Guendouzi at 25m is “too expensive” appears presposterous! Maybe we have “better” targets in mind 🤷‍♂️

Or we’ve found a player that represents better value

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

I don't mind Gregg but agree he isn't usually there with inside knowledge and really most of us could have written that piece - it's just a compilation of major rumours.

Only interesting shout is Adams, who I guess would be an alternative to Tielemans. 

Agree. Global Gregg isn’t the man for transfers but I think he has good insights into other parts of the club set up, and access to players. 

11 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Or we’ve found a player that represents better value

Agreed. I think for that are it's 1) Tielemens (Free) 2) Guendouzi - Makes a lot of sense.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Sure, I’ve been debating what it meant. Mainly that we’re possibly reserving the bulk of our budget for attacking players.

Personally, I think he’s worth more than 25m but that’s irrelevant 🤣

To be fair, they signed him last summer for £10m, which included the loan fee from the previous season. So understandable why we may think £25m is a little steep.

Especially from a club we know has had recent financial issues to be trying for a £15m profit in a year (and we're trying for £35m in Jan). It's probably just Gregg walking the party line as we're negotiating with them

12 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

What PL club has made a signing since end of the season?

Brentford have but I don't care Kiwi, I'm just bored and sick of the speculation and thousands of names we're linked with 🤣 

This is what happens when we don't have games to play (my loosening grip on my sanity). Can't wait for next season. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I get what you mean. Equally if anyone in any field asked me if they should just sign a contract or should spend a few days doing due diligence and checking it’s the best fit for them I would tell them to take the time and make the right decision. Better for everyone in the long run than if they rush the decision and regret it. 

As an analogy........

its like in the old days when folk emigrated to Australia, but kept their house in the UK. The problem with that is, there is no real commitment to making it work.....The "get out of jail" card is too easily played at the first sign of adversity.

These players are either in or not really/sort of/kind of in.

13 hours ago, lexicon said:

For the love of God can we please just sign someone already 

I'm glad your impatient, thought it was just me.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Enda said:

IMG_1511.thumb.webp.14281d3db71fde49035f9ce232d3fb67.webp

did he actually have time to get it on?

.....They had a similar story him and LDV Vans

Edited by TRO

Tyler Adams would be a great signing IMO … Versatile, can cover DM/RM/RB great defensive stats - covers lots of ground, keeps it simple. At the right price he’d be a great addition to the squad. 

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I get what you are saying but how do players not Villa affiliated know what’s going on at Villa.  

You think how many times others or media didn’t realise we had rich owners, how many times the world dismissed us climbing the league, how little recognition a lot of our players get and also how Emery still, despite his achievements in Europe and this season at Villa, gets mocked by his time at Arsenal and his accent.  

We all know what’s going on here and while later in the season the media and others starting appreciating us we are still a bit under the radar, not to mention the media love for Newcastle and Brighton and then the shambles at Chelsea and less so, after their resurgence, of Liverpool towards the end of the season.  

In our Villa bubble we see the greatness of Villa emerging but for non-Villa people and players I can understand them doing due diligence on us, in fact I applaud them and want that kind of player if they are then committed.  If they are just using us to get a better deal elsewhere that’s a different story.

I accept that Nick, but I think in most cases its the highlighted bit, and that prompts me to be twitchy.

• Like 1

I'd imagine it'd look something like 6 players in. GK, RB, CB, DM, AM, Striker. And then trying to balance up the investment for our 1st choices Vs players we rank in similar tiers.

We may believe Kang-In and Guendouzi are in similar 'tiers', Matteo may be our 1st choice but why spend £25m on Guendouzi when similarly-rated Kang-In is available for £15m? I'm sure we'll have a selection of players for each position we'd be happy with and we'll go through the due diligence on each of the deals that may be possible. We've shown we aren't scared to bid £30m+ for players, so if the team think £25m for a player is too much (who was only worth £10m last year), then cool. 

With our hypothetical board looking something like (using a selection of links so far)

• Mamardashvili > ??? 
  • Fresneda > Dumfries > Foyth
  • Pau Torres > Laporte > Bella-Kotchap
  •  ̷U̷g̷a̷r̷t̷e̷ >  ̷C̷e̷b̷a̷l̷l̷o̷s̷ > Tielemens > Adams
  • Guendouzi > Kang-In > Lo Celso
  •  ̷A̷s̷e̷n̷s̷i̷o̷ > Joao Felix > Nico Williams > Luiz Henrique

We end up with 1 player from each of those, our squad is immeasurably better and deeper than the last 6 months, even if we don't get our 1st choices

• Like 3

13 hours ago, beachboys1 said:

now we have got into europe ironic we might finf it harder to get players

Yeah, it's like rain on your wedding day.

• Haha 1