Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

7 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Yet were now at the end of the 2023 season and he's not put up anywhere near these numbers since or improved.

He's gone backwards and the effort he put in for Leicester last season when they were fighting relegation was shameful.

If he's so good and free why are there not a queue of other clubs interested?

There are?

Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal are also linked just as [un]reliably as us. 

Tbh, I’m not that bothered whether we do or do not sign Tielemans but I can see the merits, especially on a free - could be a really savvy and intelligent deal. But if Unai wants and rates him then there’s no reason to question such a transfer. I have no doubt that he can bring the best (and more!) out of almost any player at his disposal - we’ve already seen it!

I’d still like to see us go for someone like Guendouzi and maybe one or two more, we need extra quality and strength in depth - something we majorly lack and is sorely needed with a lot more games to play this coming season. Plenty of players to shift who are not up to standard or are being overpaid too…

I really do believe that it’s time to genuinely enhance this squad and become a much more formidable team, Unai does not want to waste time (he said it himself) and wants to take us as far as possible as quickly as possible! I believe we’re going to see some sort of “transformation” in terms of how strong, dangerous and competitive we are… something we haven’t seen for yonks! We will have genuine options and game changers from the bench… 

There are a lot of exciting moves we could make, it all depends on whether they fit into Unai’s plans and how he sees them fitting into our side. Maybe one or two free transfers frees up some extra funds to spend on some higher quality or more exciting names… we don’t have an unlimited budget unlike the likes of Chelsea 🙄

Regardless, we are going to be “bold” in this window, there have been quotes from the likes of Purslow backing this up (pretty sure I heard this on the MOMS podcast after a summary of the latest fan consultation meeting, there have a fair bit of insight in terms of what’s going on at the club), so there is plenty of reason to feel excited and enthused… it’s very early days yet…

In Unai we must trust.

The way Unai has elevated players like McGinn should put to rest any doubts or reservations in terms of “dubious targets”, the man knows what he is doing and brings the very best out of his players. I don’t think he’s ever spent lavishly on players at any club he’s been at but I do wonder whether our increased resources and greater freedom or control is what attracted him to the job… he can achieve more with us… I do believe that’s possible…

I want Unai to get his “own players” in and have the freedom to build this team and squad in his own image, no restrictions, hindrances (other than financial/FFP) or interference.

Let him play… 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, time for the annual "date of first signing" competition (which we might not have done before).

Given we're off to the US towards the end of July and we're playing at Walsall on 15th, I'd have thought we'd be back in training at some point reasonably early in July - I reckon we'd want to take signings with us to the US - so I'm going with....

18th June.

I think we'll be announcing something soon so I'm going with the 14th June as its the closets Wednesday that isn't tomorrow.

Then maybe 1 or 2 close together after...then a long gap until after the US tour

18 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

with respect, i've always hated this argument. we have no idea what inquiries have been made by which clubs about which players. not to mention there have been numerous examples of signings we've made where there was no other reported interest i.e. alex moreno.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, time for the annual "date of first signing" competition (which we might not have done before).

Given we're off to the US towards the end of July and we're playing at Walsall on 15th, I'd have thought we'd be back in training at some point reasonably early in July - I reckon we'd want to take signings with us to the US - so I'm going with....

18th June.

well, Burnley are already back in training

27 minutes ago, sne said:

Media seem to be wanting to sell Christian Pulisic to us. Honestly can't say he ever left any impression, good or bad when I watched him but he's still pretty highly rated right?

Never really been that productive but he's also mostly been a rotation player. Still only 24 and Chelsea need to shed some (a lot of) players.

On a separate note what's happening with Giovanni Reyna? Is he on a move or has his parents made him a harder sell.

Pulisic is still very much a top 6 level player, but is extremely injury prone which has really stalled his development & regular playing time (but being at Chelsea probably doesn't help either). 

Reyna also has had some injury issues this year. I think he has much more potential than Pulisic but who knows. There were people over here in the states thinking that he was going to move on this year but I'm not sure. With his parents, I think it is more of a they were trying to influence the US camp where the dad has influence / knows the people as some are former teammates. 

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've seen some Spurs fans wanting Ollie to replace Kane if/when he goes.

Do we think Ollie would consider it?

Or is this one time you'd hope he is Arsenal through and through? lol

Spurs have been a lot better than us for a lot of years. But currently I'm not sure how much of a step up it would be, especially if Kane is sold. And Spurs are not really known for throwing cash around on expensive contracts so I doubt Watkins would be offered a bumper salary there.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think Ollie and Douglas will be targeted by some clubs.

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I think Ollie and Douglas will be targeted by some clubs.

and NSWE will laugh at those clubs just as they did at Arsenal over Dougie in January

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

No, don't think he'd be arsed. Spurs aren't going to pay what we'd want for him either. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Maybe I’m overly biased 🤣 but… I can’t see why any of our starters would want to go elsewhere unless it was a club that was genuinely competing for honours such as titles or Champions League - those that can actually win those things.

We have such a good thing going here and the only way is up with Unai in charge. Players seem so happy and have been performing so well under our elite manager and they have not even had a famed preseason or a full/complete season under his tutelage. It’d almost be stupid to leave, we’re only going  one way if we do things right and Unai is fully supported…

Spurs are shite and inferior to us anyway, imo… they don’t win things either…

We have to take our opportunity this time and disturb that “established order”… it’s time… I’m backing King Unai to do the job! We finally have the right man at the helm.

Also… I would be happy if we strengthened to the extent that the likes of Ollie aren’t even guaranteed a starting spot… let’s kick some ass next season!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Yet were now at the end of the 2023 season and he's not put up anywhere near these numbers since or improved.

He's gone backwards and the effort he put in for Leicester last season when they were fighting relegation was shameful.

How do you know there isn’t other clubs after him ?

Edited by mikeyp102

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Only way Spurs could afford Ollie, or Martinez for that matter, is if they swapped Kane for one of them.

Levy would propose swapping Joe Rodon though.

I would consider Kane for Ollie ;), & he'd want money from us to sweeten the Rodon deal. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Aside from you potentially being wrong on this anyway, it's such a redundant point no matter how often it gets made. Did you not want us to sign Moreno because there weren't any reports of us battling other clubs to so? It's an overly-simplistic view.

• Like 1