Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Just had a look through his tweets seems heavily focused on us including multiple tweets that carney was joining Dortmund. 

They are some loser hiding behind a fake AI-generated photo - I highlighted how ages ago, but don't have time to trawl back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

They are some loser hiding behind a fake AI-generated photo - I highlighted how ages ago, but don't have time to trawl back. 

Best put this loser on the blacklist.

There are so many bad faith actors in football twitter journalism nowadays. Moreau is a small-scale example, being a troll account. But you have the likes of Pedro Almedia, Nico Schira and Ekrem Konur, who are not real people, (Konur probably is tbh, but he's a big a grifter as the others, who are 100% fake personas), let alone journalists, wracking up hundreds of thousands of followers because they do stuff like this on a larger scale. They pump out every transfer rumour imaginable from clubs all over Europe (another huge red flag, as that just isn't how sports journalism works at all), but gain traction: because if you pump out enough crap, you're eventually going to get lucky a few times.

Edited by wishywashy

I have concerns regarding Tielesmans. It seemed when the going got tough at Leicester he went missing. Fans aren't fools when it comes to assessing a player's commitment. Just like Richards and the other centre- half, who was that anonymous, his name escapes me, but they both were a disgrace in that relegation season. 

The same criticism has been aimed at Tielesmans this season, "you're not fit to wear the shirt", I doubt they were singing that for the fun of it. TRO touched on the subject the other day. We want individuals who are going to give there all no matter the circumstances. 

The title winning side of 81 had no regular internationals, yet still managed to reach the pinnacle of club football. Every player to a man had that essential quality, "character" instilled Into them by one of the most underappreciated managers to ever grace the sport. I see a lot of Saunders in Emery, always let's the players take the credit and has that steely determination to never rest on ones laurels, instead, finding ways to improve and make Aston Villa the team it's name deserves. 

Still grates on me that our greatest captain never won a full England cap. What a leader he was, and forever grateful for that wonderful responsibility. Alas, they don't make them like Dennis anymore .

• Like 1

I think again Emery will get frustrated this summer window & it's understandable, from Emery, the fans & the owners & it's nobody's fault, we have been in a lane for so many years on the level of player we can go for & attract to our club & if we're going after that same level I'd be optimistic that we'd get the majority of our targets. This is our issue though we are attempting to shop in Harrods with the big boys & the targets were after wasn't even born when we won the European Cup, so these players will stay current with the usual running order of the big clubs because they know know different. I believe there are targets out there that week could get right now, but they are options if we can't get our top targets & trying to persuade these top targets may take time as they want to see if the big fish in the football world want there services. So it's not for a want of trying just how the football world works, I think Newcastle will struggle to an extent to bring there top targets in even tho there in champions league & have the money. No matter who Emery brings in I think he will improve us for next season wether we spend £50 million on a player or £15 million, just have to be patient & roll with the process, we got kamara last year under a different management 

13 hours ago, QldVilla said:

I respect your opinion, but what I have seen of him there’s a player there, the question is whether his time has passed or whether it can be resurrected. Let’s see what happens.

Similar things were said of Drinkwater and Barkley.  I think players who (at least on the face of it) seem to have last their heart / drive are harder to bring back than players who have question marks over their physical fitness - for example God and Laursen were written off due to their injury record but their heart and desire was never in question.  I also don't mind players whose form might have dropped but you can still see that they are trying.  All the talk on Leicester sites seem to be that Tielemans has barely turned up for 2 seasons.  We don't want players who go missing at the first sign of not being happy with the way things are going. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I have concerns regarding Tielesmans. It seemed when the going got tough at Leicester he went missing. Fans aren't fools when it comes to assessing a player's commitment. Just like Richards and the other centre- half, who was that anonymous, his name escapes me, but they both were a disgrace in that relegation season. 

The same criticism has been aimed at Tielesmans this season, "you're not fit to wear the shirt", I doubt they were singing that for the fun of it. TRO touched on the subject the other day. We want individuals who are going to give there all no matter the circumstances. 

The title winning side of 81 had no regular internationals, yet still managed to reach the pinnacle of club football. Every player to a man had that essential quality, "character" instilled Into them by one of the most underappreciated managers to ever grace the sport. I see a lot of Saunders in Emery, always let's the players take the credit and has that steely determination to never rest on ones laurels, instead, finding ways to improve and make Aston Villa the team it's name deserves. 

Still grates on me that our greatest captain never won a full England cap. What a leader he was, and forever grateful for that wonderful responsibility. Alas, they don't make them like Dennis anymore .

How many Tielemans do you think we’re signing?

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

What about before them?

Its not like he is in his 30s. There was a period where mcginn was crap for about that period. Sometimes it happens

I think the difference is that McGinn was at least trying.  Tielemans appears (from the Leicester comments) to have given up and not tried for 18 months.  It's a big risk hoping to turn that around and if we did what happens if he then gets linked with Barcelona who want to sign him for £3.50 - we say no and he says OK fair enough and sits on his **** for another year until we cave in?

8 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

Tielemans? I dunno. Seen him good; seen him bad. In Unai I trust.

But some of the comments about upgrading the bench or the first team - jeez. Can't we do both?

We could play 50% more games this season - and have already lost Young from our squad, which didn't always have the full 9 subs; and often had 2 GKs. Even with the returning U23s, we need upgrades on Countinho, Traore, etc. 

If we are managing our budget with this guy - I have no problem. 

Yes we can do both.  You upgrade on Traore automatically with Bailey as soon as we upgrade on Bailey.  Two birds, one stone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Why do people keep posting this?  Emery came here from Villarreal, where he had a shoestring budget and still was able to attract very good players.  He's not going to sign Mbappe, Messi, and Ronaldo for us, but he's going to find players which will improve us... FFS the window isn't even open yet officially and the Spanish, French, & Italian leagues just wrapped up less than 24 hours ago.  You guys need to have patience.  

I am being patient just saying we're going to get knock backs from players we go after like we did with Asensio & I don't think it will be the last knock back we get, I know some leagues finished this weekend gone, I'm just stating what I think will happen over the course of the summer window. 

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I agree with your post and what @TRO has described previously.  I have no real opinion on Tielemans to be honest so not defending him but this team/squad of ours were really poor under Gerrard and arguably at the end under Smith and would argue our players, many of them that we are lauding now, went missing for a very long period when the going got tough just like the accusations against Tielemans.  We most certainly need characters in the team on any purchase we make, it should be the first characteristic we look for. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I wonder if we might see some of our business delayed until 1st July so that our signings are revealed with the name of the new sponsor rather than the old one.

Interesting thought. 

1 minute ago, Frodo said:

I am being patient just saying we're going to get knock backs from players we go after like we did with Asensio & I don't think it will be the last knock back we get, I know some leagues finished this weekend gone, I'm just stating what I think will happen over the course of the summer window. 

Players turn nearly every club in the world down except maybe Madrid, Barcelona, & Man City.  It's part of the game. Just because Asensio decided to take oil money over the Premier League doesn't mean our transfer plans were blown up.  Emery doesn't strike me as a quitter or even someone who gets easily discouraged, so I doubt he's going to be sulking if top tier players don't want to join at this point in the project.  He signed a 5 year deal when he came here and I'm sure he's more than aware that we need to push further up the table and into the Europa League/Champions League places before we can really start attracting the top tier players any manager would want.

Also, keep in mind Villarreal spent a grand total of 5.5 million pounds in transfer fees on players this season and ~35 million pounds last season.  Our wage bill is also massive compared to Villarreal.  We aren't going to be able to compete with the top 6 for every player, but Emery will have enough to pull a few our way and poach good players from clubs in the next tier down around Europe (Villarreal, Betis, any French club not PSG, etc).  He has significantly more resources than he did in Spain.  

• Like 1