Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If Ugarte goes to Chelsea, it means it's got sod all to do with " European Football " as some players like to make it seem.

If someone's picking Chelsea over psg it shows the power of the PL

That's first and foremost

2 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Fabrizio pretty much confirmed he’s going to Brighton yeah 

He also pretty much confirmed Guendouzi to Villa was less than 24 hours away many times back in January.  He isn't as reliable as people make him out to be.  I'm pretty sure he has an "understanding" with several big agents who feed him info that benefits them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

I don't think we will be holding on to them, Sanson was let go on loan as he wanted regular first team football fair play to him. I'd be surprised if Marv and Davis were to be in Unai's plans. 

I don't disagree but our squad is painfully thin. I don't think they would be Unais first choice, but I don't think we will sign half a dozen players. 

2 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

You never know, with the extra games our sweet prince Sanson might come in very handy as rotation will be more of a thing next season.

Think you maybe right 👍

8 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

You never know, with the extra games our sweet prince Sanson might come in very handy as rotation will be more of a thing next season.

I doubt it, the squad was reasonable light now and he wasn’t wanted so I’m not sure anything has changed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

I’d rather we didn’t just pick up scraps from the relegated teams either… set sights a lot higher…

Clubs don’t get relegated because of one or two players so I wouldn’t dismiss any player just because he’s just been relegated… 

Southamptons squad has several players I wouldn’t mind if we got - Bella-Kotchap or Salisu, (poss) Livramento or Walker-Peters, Lavia, Alcaraz, & Sulemana would make our squad stronger IMO. 

Leicester squad - Thomas (poss) Justin, Ndidi, and Maddison.

Leeds squad - Adams and Aaronson perhaps… 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Clubs don’t get relegated because of one or two players so I wouldn’t dismiss any player just because he’s just been relegated… 

Southamptons squad has several players I wouldn’t mind if we got - Bella-Kotchap or Salisu, (poss) Livramento or Walker-Peters, Lavia, Alcaraz, & Sulemana would make our squad stronger IMO. 

Sure, and I didn’t say anything along the lines of a player is crap or useless if they’ve been in a relegated team or at the lower end of the table. There may be one or two who I would welcome…

I’m just saying it’s best to broaden our horizons and there’s a lot of quality and value out there and you can stop wasting money on big fees and wages if you look beyond the PL. It is not the “be all and end all” and I sometimes wish fans would stop being so restrictive or limited in their mindset but it’s more important that those at the club have a lot more nous and intelligence than that - it’s why we and others invest so much time, effort and money into having a scouting network…

Unai proved this by signing Moreno who barely anyone had a clue about and he undoubtedly strengthened us… there’s too many other examples to list from teams who have had success and many examples from the past. In fact, some of the best teams of the past had success by bringing in top talent from abroad and not going for the regular or widely known local “names”…

I will never align myself with anyone who believes you have to or need to exclusively sign PL based players to do well or progress, imo it is total and complete BS (not aimed at you in particular btw). It’s something I have always felt quite strongly about.

But I don’t personally believe that any of the players you’ve just listed are even good enough to come into our team let alone elevate us and that is what we need, not squad filler. That’s the last thing we need, we need upgrades where we can get them - that’s how you become stronger and better and start competing for honours. Some players that are regularly playing for us will need to be relegated to the bench if we genuinely want to have major success…

Maybe we will just have to agree to disagree but I personally believe that this is a superb opportunity to genuinely enhance our team and provide Unai with superior tools to take us further and achieve great things… let’s take advantage of that and demonstrate our intent…

I believe we will… Unai has certainly earned it.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I doubt it, the squad was reasonable light now and he wasn’t wanted so I’m not sure anything has changed.

Yeah, I believe he is one example of players whose time has long since expired here (inc Nakamba, Davis and a few others maybe)… we need to stop accepting mediocrity and just go for better players than we already have… I want to see a few sold and for the club to bring in a much higher standard that will shake up the team and make it a lot more formidable.

Some genuine shock transfers and major coups please…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

hopefully we can offload Hause, Nakamba, Davis & Wesley this summer.

I wonder what will happen with Sanson?

Well he is not going to lose his rugged looks that’s for sure. Would like maybe a hint of grey to add a matured look for the house husbands who follow 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sanson, Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, Traore could all feasably leave along with Philogene and Azaz if we promote A Ramsey and bring in a couple of top class forward/winger types imo. Not that they will.... just thinking thats a lot of options for back ups to JJ and McGinn competing for 2/3 places

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

So you have choice between Harvey Barnes, rumoured £40/50 million or Lee kang-in with a release clause of €20 million. 

I'd take Lee kang-in all day 💪

I'd ignore them both and sign Torres for €25 million.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, maqroll said:

As an American, I'm sorry to say that we should be looking at a higher calibre player than these two. And you can add McKennie to that. All not good enough for where we want to be.

as an american, I would love us to have at least one american on our roster.  McKennie might be the best option toward that goal.  Who would you think is the closest?  We probably have a keeper that could serve as backup to Martinez.

22 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

hopefully we can offload Hause, Nakamba, Davis & Wesley this summer.

I wonder what will happen with Sanson?

All gone hopefully. Sounds like Luton will be signing Nakamba, thankfully. He’s made quite the impression there, good luck to him.

Hoping Levante (or another Spanish club) take Wesley, even if it’s a minimal fee. Good to see him making progress and forging a career over there, after such a terrible injury.

Watford failed to get promoted so no obligation to buy Davis but I hope we can negotiate a deal.

Apparently, Sanson has done well over in France so one of those clubs may take him. I don’t think Strasbourg have much of a budget so maybe a financially stronger team like Marseille (he can return there and we take Guendouzi?). 

I’d like to see Dendoncker shifted too (not a fan) but I suppose he’s a useful member of the squad so may well stick around - I’d rather we upgraded and provide proper competition/cover for Kamara… we need players that are proficient and comfortable on the ball at the bare minimum…

We really need to move on from players that were never good enough in the first place let alone where we are now and are headed.

Bring in better, it’s as simple as that. No time for sentimentality, that should only be reserved for our best players and those that have provided a telling contribution - just our starters that have performed so well under Unai…

We have to keep moving forwards.

I’d like to see Digne (one decent game won’t change my mind) and Coutinho sold too and replaced with better, more long term alternatives. Such a huge waste of wages.

I’d love us to have a young, vibrant squad that can grow and develop together over the years… any experienced players need to be making proper contributions and not being paid handsomely to sit on the bench or treatment table. Not completely averse to them if the finances are reasonable but paying over 100-150k+ for them is madness imo… I mean, we could say that Young has given us more value and more of a contribution… 

Olsen must be sold and improved upon also, quite important…

Might be a few other candidates but we do need a squad (I hope for and expect plenty of new signings though) but I would like it to possess as much quality as possible.

Let’s be a real force next season!

Edited by Jas10

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Southampton I would agree on - the issue they had was buying so many young, inexperienced players and hoping that everything would work out.  In a good team, with an excellent coach there are three or four who could develop into excellent players and are probably ahead a couple of steps ahead (experience & development wise) of some of our academy players.  I'd prefer to be signing players for the starting XI but for the right money but a few of those would fit into the high potential list.  Leeds is a complete no-no for me - all of the players failed this season and I can't see any of them playing for a top half PL team.  Leicester is tricky because they should have had a team good enough to stay up.  But they kept on making the same mistakes, failing to track their man, not battling for the second ball, etc.  Going forwards they were better - but I think Maddison thinks he is better than he is and I am not sure that he's better than McGinn or Ramsey - certainly not good enough to warrant building our team around which is what I think he would want if he came to us (he'll almost certainly go to Newcastle and be OK).  They went down not because they weren't good enough (legitimate excuse for Leeds) or because they weren't experienced enough (legitimate excuse for Southampton) but because they didn't fight hard enough - which makes me worry about their core desire.  Maybe if you put someone in a great team environment they will rediscover their mojo but they've pretty much all put question marks next to their names for me.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Rumours he's off to Newcastle.

There were rumours that Kamara was off to all sorts of clubs before we got him.  I would be gutted if Torres went to Newcastle as I think he'd strengthen them significantly.