Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

He’s literally only scored two goals once this season, against top half Fulham. Everything else has been single goals against us, Brighton, Chelsea*, Brentford and Tottenham (and then yes, some absolute dross). So while you are totally entitled to think he is rubbish, this description just isn’t accurate at all.

*tbf could be rolled into the dross.

As @Rich192 posted in the Harvey Barnes thread, his stats are very poor.  I would be shocked if Emery wanted him and we signed him this summer.  He'll most likely end up at West Ham, Everton (if they survive), Forest, or one of the newly promoted teams.  

5 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

He’s literally only scored two goals once this season, against top half Fulham. Everything else has been single goals against us, Brighton, Chelsea*, Brentford and Tottenham (and then yes, some absolute dross). So while you are totally entitled to think he is rubbish, this description just isn’t accurate at all.

*tbf could be rolled into the dross.

I don't think he meant 2-3 goals in one game.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MaVilla said:

this is going to be one of those windows isnt it, where we get linked with Thuram, Lukaku, Asensio, Kang-In, Guendouzi, Vlahovic, Merino, Williams, Goncalves, P.Torres, F.Torres, Baena, Ugarte, Lo Celso........

Then we end up with a Lange 2 for 1 special from Belgium... 😆

Lo Celso and Guendouzi are completely achievable and wouldn’t surprise me if at least one is agreed already.

But yes, we’re going to get excited about loads of big names just for them to go elsewhere or sign a new contract. Fun of the transfer window.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KMitch said:

As @Rich192 posted in the Harvey Barnes thread, his stats are very poor.  I would be shocked if Emery wanted him and we signed him this summer.  He'll most likely end up at West Ham, Everton (if they survive), Forest, or one of the newly promoted teams.  

His FBREF stats you mean …. The club will have a vastly deeper set of data on him - we’ve got a whole department so I trust the process and most importantly Emery.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, KMitch said:

Stop referring to FBref stats as if that's the only data our legion of statisticians will have access to. 

Trust the manager, if he brings Barnes in, expect him to do a Danjuma with him overnight. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Stop referring to FBref stats as if that's the only data our legion of statisticians will have access to. 

Trust the manager, if he brings Barnes in, expect him to do a Danjuma with him overnight. 

Do you think Barnes is a little underwhelming though, Steero?

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I see inconsistency with him for sure (as with 99% of wingers in world football btw), but the raw materials are certainly there. Pace, directness and finishing ability. He can also spot a pass. 

I think the fact that he's English and at a currently unfashionable and struggling club as factors that are somewhat dampening peoples enthusiasm towards him as a target. As others have said, if he was from Sporting or Villarreal and had posted him numbers at his age over 5 seasons people would be far more enthusiastic I feel. 

What I will say is that we won't be bringing any player in unless they specifically meet Emery's system requirements. We may see some rather left field signings this window that seem strange but end up being masterful - we were treated to a taste of that with the Moreno transfer. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I think the fact that he's English and at a currently unfashionable and struggling club as factors that are somewhat dampening peoples enthusiasm towards him as a target. As others have said, if he was from Sporting or Villarreal and had posted him numbers at his age over 5 seasons people would be far more enthusiastic I feel. 

100%.

A 1 in 3, 25 year old winger from La Liga is exciting.

From the Premier League, he's awful and inconsistent.

I'll be super suprised if Bamba isn't one of the first through the door. 

Also it'll be a good excuse to move some money into Vitória for some speculative South American signings. 

I think it would be strange to install a new scouting network with new staff… and then buy Harvey Barnes. He’s got a ‘Tom Cleverly’ sort of vibe to him in my opinion, not in how they play, but in terms of being quite often talked about but with no real reason why. He’ll go to Sheff Utd or something I think

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

I'll be super suprised if Bamba isn't one of the first through the door. 

Also it'll be a good excuse to move some money into Vitória for some speculative South American signings. 

Or to put it another way, "Y arriba y arriba"

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

100%.

A 1 in 3, 25 year old winger from La Liga is exciting.

From the Premier League, he's awful and inconsistent.

Except the winger from La Liga would probably cost less that £20m, whereas the English PL player will cost £40m+. That’s the issue people have.

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Except the winger from La Liga would probably cost less that £20m, whereas the English PL player will cost £40m+. That’s the issue people have.

I've only glossed over this page and the last, but...

18 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think it would be strange to install a new scouting network with new staff… and then buy Harvey Barnes. He’s got a ‘Tom Cleverly’ sort of vibe to him in my opinion, not in how they play, but in terms of being quite often talked about but with no real reason why. He’ll go to Sheff Utd or something I think

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

13 hours ago, KMitch said:

14 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Harvey Barnes would be an excellent purchase if the Premier League season was 6 matches long, unfortunately it's 38, so it wouldn't be an excellent purchase...

Zero mention of price.

• Like 2