Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

6 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

People would pay - 20 mill transfer for him and happily pay 5 mill a season for 4 seasons. It’s the same deal…

Agreed it’s eye watering money but football these days is ridiculous. A doctor’s wages for a year in less than a week!  The world has definitely gone mad but we can’t change it.  

The type of player that we’re targeting now would all be expecting towards £100k a week and their clubs, depending on what stage their contract is at, will generally be looking for  £30/40m or more. So whichever way you cut the cake, over a period of 4 years you’re going to spend £50 or £60m. 

Crazy and morally disgusting but it’s the current price of entry to sit at the top table I’m afraid. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah 200,000 per week isn't mental in the PL for top players.

Having said that, we may be " rejected " by a few of our first choices this summer, what heartening though, is these things show the bracket/level we are trying to shop and compete in.

Yeah €10m a year is ~£165,000 per week

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

If Traore and Bailey are not out of the club and replaced by August it has been a failure of a window.

I don’t think both will be gone but they have to be upgraded. I’m expecting Bailey to stick around as a squad player.  Emery has played him so much I can’t see otherwise and yes he’s had no natural alternative but I’m sure he could’ve utilised somebody else if he had really wanted to.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think both will be gone but they have to be upgraded. I’m expecting Bailey to stick around as a squad player.  Emery has played him so much I can’t see otherwise and yes he’s had no natural alternative but I’m sure he could’ve utilised somebody else if he had really wanted to.

We need to be ruthless if we are to go to the next level.

Neither of these are good enough if we want to make a push for top 4.

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Traore yes, Bailey I can see him keeping around. 

Bailey can barely go past a player.

We need so much better.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

But it’s also going to take time to reshape the squad.  We need interested clubs, the right offer and Bailey to agree to go.  Traore might (seems) easier to shift on those criteria.  No use paying somebody off to get them out of the club just to be ruthless, it would decrease our transfer budget.  If the right offers come in, I’m sure it will happen but Emery may want to give Bailey more time because Bailey was really impressive in Germany, just never showed that here.

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I'm sure he will do just fine in the Europa Conference.

In fairness, he's got 4 goals and 4 assists this season, and this is whilst not being in " form "/ " poor " and being out with injury in spells.

We could do much worse than having him in the squad, even with upgrades etc.

People who think we are going to be getting 2 world beaters for each position in one window are going to be disappointed.

Similarly to how the likes of Dendonker and Chambers have served a purpose at times.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure Bailey in 2 of the last 3 starts has gone past a player and setup a goal and if he had the runners coming into the box would of done it to Liverpool as well. I agree he can be improved upon but he is still a very good squad player.

16 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

As much as it pains me to say it we are not likely to become a long term top 4 club anytime soon, we simply do not have the commercial revenue coming in to sustain it. As brilliant as Unai is he can only work with what he has, we may flirt with the top 4 occasionally over the next few years but we have to be realistic.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In fairness, he's got 4 goals and 4 assists this season, and this is whilst not being in " form "/ " poor " and being out with injury in spells.

We could do much worse than having him in the squad, even with upgrades etc.

People who think we are going to be getting 2 world beaters for each position in one window are going to be disappointed.

Similarly to how the likes of Dendonker and Chambers have served a purpose at times.

Oh stop it! How dare you let facts get in the way.

• Haha 1

Just now, burchy said:

Be gone with your realistic outlooks on life, this is Villa ‘Messi is joining us’ Talk, we’ll have none of that here thank you very much.

Sorry I'm taking myself off to a dark corner and having a deep look at myself.