Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’ve never said they were bad, I was saying until we know who Emery brings in we can’t even say who will start next season.  You are right, if not all will likely start, but with some of the links we’ve had some of them might not.  We have no idea who Emery wants to bring in.  Only half of the players you mention I would say are definitely starting if they are still here at the start of the season, with the others likely but not definitely starting.  It’s all about who we bring in and we honestly have no idea who Emery is bringing in, how many or what positions.  We all have personal opinions on who to bring in, areas to upgrade and who should start whatever but we have no idea what Emery will do.

Yeah im 90% sure emery will have  martinez, mings,kamara,luiz,mcginn, moreno all starting IF they are still here next season, watkins id say 70% sure and the rest are 50/50 

5 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Yeah im 90% sure emery will have  martinez, mings,kamara,luiz,mcginn, moreno all starting IF they are still here next season, watkins id say 70% sure and the rest are 50/50 

Guess we’ll have to wait and see

With the links to Ugarte I’d say we’ll look to bring in some competition/cover for Kamara (if he gets injured again for a lengthy period) or probably more likely as a partner for Kamara if we want to go more offensive on the wide midfielders. 

Luiz and McGinn aren’t prolific so I can see Emery wanted to add real quality comp to the squad in the CM and RM position also. 

The link to Rodrigo isn't serious, it's come from a speculative article, someone making a wild guess just because he's played for Emery previously.

Lukaku has seemingly come from that Ekrem Konkur, so can rule that one out as well, as they just make stuff up.

Marial link come from another twitter transfer page but no idea how reliable they are or not. There was a story in the Athletic recently about us wanting a striker that can also play as a wide forward, and Martial would suit that, but somehow I doubt we're interested in him.

14 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

Big no to Martial, Moreno and Lukaku. 🤮

Who knows if we are actually after them, but would you still think they are puke-worthy signings if Unai wants them? Surely, that's all that matters. The man polishes turds and produces diamonds, we've seen it with our own eyes!

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

That and a wide forward of similar quality who can get 10-12 and assist 10-12...

I'd say RB needs a top quality, rapid, defensive player in there. Poss a ball winning midfielder who can pass exceptionally well to be competition for kamara, an actual back up keeper to replace whatever Olsen is, a wide forward as per above and a 10 as per your quote. That's 5/6 players, which sounds a bit too many but we've got a thin squad. Today's market that's an enormous outlay if we go for established talent so hopefully we can find some Moreno like business to fill some of those positions...

But we'd be bringing in quality players to replace pretty good players.  So there's far more scope to phase in new signings rather than starting the first match of the season with 5 new players who have barely spoken to the rest of the team.  Moreno is a good example of someone who came in and settled pretty quickly with new team-mates.  Sure as time evolves he's better able to anticipate what his team mates will do and at times you can see that players like Luiz almost don't need to look to know where he will be.  But good players can have an impact pretty quickly.

I think 4 starters and a back-up keeper would be pretty transformational - but if it takes 4 - 6 weeks of starting McGinn and bringing on a new CM for 20 - 30 mins whilst they settle in, that wouldn't be disastrous.  Most of the players being "replaced" (with the exception of Olsen) will still be chomping at the bit to get off the bench and onto the pitch.  Plus we have a manager and a coaching staff who are VERY good at defining what individual players should / should not be doing and explaining what our overall plan is.  Oh and we do actually have a plan now - which also helps players understand what they need to do.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, useless said:

The link to Rodrigo isn't serious, it's come from a speculative article, someone making a wild guess just because he's played for Emery previously.

Lukaku has seemingly come from that Ekrem Konkur, so can rule that one out as well, as they just make stuff up.

Marial link come from another twitter transfer page but no idea how reliable they are or not. There was a story in the Athletic recently about us wanting a striker that can also play as a wide forward, and Martial would suit that, but somehow I doubt we're interested in him.

I've just seen another " Arsenal, Manchester United and Aston Villa are interested in Vinicius Junior shall he choose to depart " 😂

I kid you not.

Edit: Here's the exact quote.

" Arsenal, Aston Villa and Man Utd on alert as interest in Vinicius Jr hots up as reports in Spain that he might be looking at playing in the Premier League due to racist abuse at the weekend vs Valencia. The 22 yr old feels let down by La Liga and may decide to move away from Spain "

AT least the British Hooligan types prefer to anonymously DM you their racism! Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 4

Martial was great in 19/20, had a knee injury in 2021. Never gotten back to anything close to that form since and also picked up a fair number of injuries.

According to the internet he's also on £250k/w. Granted that's £100k/w less than Lukaku but still eye watering for the level he's currently performing.

22/23 Hip Injury Feb 2, 2023 Mar 8, 2023 34 days 9Manchester United
22/23 Unknown Injury Jan 14, 2023 Jan 30, 2023 16 days 5Manchester United
22/23 Back Injury Oct 10, 2022 Oct 31, 2022 21 days 6Manchester United
22/23 Achilles Irritation Aug 23, 2022 Sep 26, 2022 34 days 5Manchester United
22/23 Hamstring Injury Jul 31, 2022 Aug 18, 2022 18 days 2Manchester United
21/22 Muscle Injury Feb 21, 2022 Mar 9, 2022 16 days 3Sevilla FC
21/22 Knee Injury Dec 4, 2021 Dec 13, 2021 9 days 3Manchester United
21/22 Fitness Oct 15, 2021 Oct 29, 2021 14 days 3Manchester United
20/21 Ruptured knee ligament Mar 29, 2021 Aug 2, 2021 126 days 14Manchester United

38 minutes ago, RicRic said:

I think Ollie will start (but that his role might be slightly different or that we will play with two goalscoring forwards).  McGinn's 70% for me as I do think we will sign another CM and that the midfield trio will be Luiz, Kamara and ANO and the fourth midfielder will have a more attacking role.  However, I think we'll see us be more like Emery's Villareal and that the midfield 4 will vary depending on the opposition, whether we are home / away, etc and that we'll have a more "solid" 4 for matches like Utd away and a more "adventurous" 4 for games like Forest at home.  In which case McGinn might well start certain games but be on the bench for others.  Moreno is probably an 80% for me (depending on whether Digne stays) - as I think Digne might get the nod for matches like Liverpool away.

42 minutes ago, burchy said:

With the links to Ugarte I’d say we’ll look to bring in some competition/cover for Kamara (if he gets injured again for a lengthy period) or probably more likely as a partner for Kamara if we want to go more offensive on the wide midfielders. 

Luiz and McGinn aren’t prolific so I can see Emery wanted to add real quality comp to the squad in the CM and RM position also. 

Yeah no doubts he will bring in another CM but i doubt we would need to sign someone in the top calibre of Ugarte as we already have a top DM in Kamara, the areas we need to sign extremely highly rated players would be for the forward/winger areas and right back.. id be happy for Iroegunam to come back and be our back up for that DM area, Emery will have him improving rapidly

8 minutes ago, allani said:

I think Ollie will start (but that his role might be slightly different or that we will play with two goalscoring forwards).  McGinn's 70% for me as I do think we will sign another CM and that the midfield trio will be Luiz, Kamara and ANO and the fourth midfielder will have a more attacking role.  However, I think we'll see us be more like Emery's Villareal and that the midfield 4 will vary depending on the opposition, whether we are home / away, etc and that we'll have a more "solid" 4 for matches like Utd away and a more "adventurous" 4 for games like Forest at home.  In which case McGinn might well start certain games but be on the bench for others.  Moreno is probably an 80% for me (depending on whether Digne stays) - as I think Digne might get the nod for matches like Liverpool away.

Actually Moreno id say is 100% a starter but that doesn’t mean so Digne would not be used just nowhere near as regular as Moreno who will start 80% of games, yeah mcginn may be 80% but i really like john in this second half of the season hes blew me away and had something to prove to us all.

• Like 1

No idea about the Rodrigo/Martial links, but I do think we may go this way with the CF position. 

If I had to guess, I think Ollie will be our main CF next season, so to compliment that we will spend big on 2 wide forwards, of Nico Williams quality (as an example)  then go for a cheaper, different alternative to Watkins at CF. So I wouldn’t be upset with a Rodrigo or Martial if those 2 quality wide forwards are found/signed. 

Actually Moreno id say is 100% a starter but that doesn’t mean so Digne would not be used just nowhere near as regular as Moreno who will start 80% of games, yeah mcginn may be 80% but i really like john in this second half of the season hes blew me away and had something to prove to us all.

OK in that case I would agree on the Moreno / Digne thing.  McGinn has definitely given everyone something to think about.  And the point is he will still be getting a lot of minutes next year as he'll definitely start some matches through tactical choice and others through injury, suspension, rotation.  Having him on the bench will mean that he will come on and give everything for the 30 minutes he is on trying to make sure that he can claim the shirt.  A McGinn with a point to prove is a pretty cool weapon to have whether he is starting or coming off the bench.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sne said:

Martial was great in 19/20, had a knee injury in 2021. Never gotten back to anything close to that form since and also picked up a fair number of injuries.

According to the internet he's also on £250k/w. Granted that's £100k/w less than Lukaku but still eye watering for the level he's currently performing.

22/23 Hip Injury Feb 2, 2023 Mar 8, 2023 34 days 9Manchester United
22/23 Unknown Injury Jan 14, 2023 Jan 30, 2023 16 days 5Manchester United
22/23 Back Injury Oct 10, 2022 Oct 31, 2022 21 days 6Manchester United
22/23 Achilles Irritation Aug 23, 2022 Sep 26, 2022 34 days 5Manchester United
22/23 Hamstring Injury Jul 31, 2022 Aug 18, 2022 18 days 2Manchester United
21/22 Muscle Injury Feb 21, 2022 Mar 9, 2022 16 days 3Sevilla FC
21/22 Knee Injury Dec 4, 2021 Dec 13, 2021 9 days 3Manchester United
21/22 Fitness Oct 15, 2021 Oct 29, 2021 14 days 3Manchester United
20/21 Ruptured knee ligament Mar 29, 2021 Aug 2, 2021 126 days 14Manchester United

Great talent but never seems bothered to show it half the time, we should be avoiding players like Martial like the plague