Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Ollie ended up there most of the time. No as the 10 but in the Bailey role of wide forward.

So much noise around a new striker.

I think we will get another forward who is quite similar to Ollie - so that our front 2 are both comfortable dropping deep, drifting wide, pressing defenders and "leading the line".  It will make it quite difficult for the opposition to defend against as the two of them will be less "fixed" in a set position.  We also end up with twice the goal threat (plus a bit).  I think we'll also sign another "defensive" midfielder so that Luiz, Kamara and AN Other can control the middle of the pitch, allow Moreno to provide width (and maybe RB) and we'll sign a quick, ball carrying attacking midfielder to provide some width and also give us another attacking option.  Which leaves Ramsey, McGinn and Buendia on the bench to provide options or to play in matches where we think we will dominate possession and so want a more attacking edge to our midfield.  That's a pretty impressive bench.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Our lack of goals should be remedied by bringing in a good player to play the no.10 role. If we can get 10-12 goals out of this player, then we'll be a much better side.

That and a wide forward of similar quality who can get 10-12 and assist 10-12...

I'd say RB needs a top quality, rapid, defensive player in there. Poss a ball winning midfielder who can pass exceptionally well to be competition for kamara, an actual back up keeper to replace whatever Olsen is, a wide forward as per above and a 10 as per your quote. That's 5/6 players, which sounds a bit too many but we've got a thin squad. Today's market that's an enormous outlay if we go for established talent so hopefully we can find some Moreno like business to fill some of those positions...

6 hours ago, nick76 said:

I don’t agree with the phrase guaranteed starters because it completely excludes what could happen in the summer.  

Any one of these players might want to leave, Emery may get an opportunity to bring in an elite quality player or just somebody he prefers in that position.  

We have no idea what Emery is going to do and if there is anybody going the other way.

I agree these are likely starters but it certainly wouldn’t surprise me if one or two aren’t.  It’s the first major transfer window for Emery and we’ve heard the club want to go big.  

Just seeing some of the links recently you could see some of these players being displaced.

When i say guaranteed it was a quick way of saying they shouldn’t be sold and should keep their position, it would be very unfair for any of those players to start the new season on the bench, now if there performances slip then by all means we bring in the alternative on the bench. How many of us would take luiz and mcginn for anyone else when there chemistry and current form is at the very top end of the scale that goes for the rest of the players on that list too.

I understand we will be looking for better in the other positions and maybe so even better for a couple of the midfield areas to boost competition which is a absolutely fine.

Im not sure i see any of those players wanting to leave other than maybe Martinez and Watkins tbh.

49 minutes ago, burchy said:

Just remembered Felix is a Mendes client so perhaps the stars are aligning

Joâo is no longer needed too much of a luxury player , we need some workhorses that play with determination and power.

• Like 2

Just now, villa82 said:

it is rumored that we want Rodrigo Moreno from Leeds. A player Emery has worked with in the past.

Can't attach link, gets warning from moderator.

He's quite good I think, scores goals even for a sh** team...

32 yrs old though?!

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

He's quite good I think, scores goals even for a sh** team...

32 yrs old though?!

Regards the age, I remember reading something from Emery where he said age is no longer a factor in him choosing players, in the past it was an issue but modern fitness has removed that aspect.  I think it was in relation to Ashley Young, and think he mention Raúl Albiol as well. So although signing a 32 year old wouldn't be ideal for resale value, if he fit Emery's system I'd have no issue.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RicRic said:

When i say guaranteed it was a quick way of saying they shouldn’t be sold and should keep their position, it would be very unfair for any of those players to start the new season on the bench, now if there performances slip then by all means we bring in the alternative on the bench. How many of us would take luiz and mcginn for anyone else when there chemistry and current form is at the very top end of the scale that goes for the rest of the players on that list too.

I understand we will be looking for better in the other positions and maybe so even better for a couple of the midfield areas to boost competition which is a absolutely fine.

Im not sure i see any of those players wanting to leave other than maybe Martinez and Watkins tbh.

I don’t agree they should keep their position imo.  We have preseason and buying other players, we see how all that goes before the first game of the season.  Whoever earns the spot whether those players or new players should start the first game.  Those players you mention probably will start but until then I don’t think we can and I certainly wouldn’t say at this point they should.  I think we are going to see some changes, not many but I don’t think all the players are likely to start that you think they will.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The only player I'd take from Leeds is Adams and even he wouldn't start for us. 

This one - good utility CDM. An upgraded version of Marvelous. Slightly better touch and passing. Just as tenacious in the tackle. Been no surprise their putrid defense has fallen off a cliff ever since he was injured. Not necessarily sure he can build out ala Luiz/Kamara but I thought McGinn was done for before Unai worked his magic and out all of the US midfielders - he seems to have the highest game intelligence. Really worth a shot depending on fee and contract.

Everyone else on Leeds can hit the bin.

Edited by DJBOB

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t agree they should keep their position imo.  We have preseason and buying other players, we see how all that goes before the first game of the season.  Whoever earns the spot whether those players or new players should start the first game.  Those players you mention probably will start but until then I don’t think we can and I certainly wouldn’t say at this point they should.  I think we are going to see some changes, not many but I don’t think all the players are likely to start that you think they will.

Ramsey,young,cash,bailey, buendia are players that i feel wont start as they are the  more weaker out the bunch, konsa would feel hard done by to lose his spot also but there could be a shift there. But other than that every other player should start and probably will , they aren’t as bad as you think remember this current lot under emery are top 4. You earn to play by performing greatly and many have done so,  therefore you keep your spot.

Ive called for three starters to be upgraded on so thats three new players going straight into the first team more than enough to cause a nuisance to rivals and opponents for the new campaign.

42 minutes ago, villa82 said:

it is rumored that we want Rodrigo Moreno from Leeds. A player Emery has worked with in the past.

Can't attach link, gets warning from moderator.

Thats odd , where is the link from ? 

Wilfried Gnonto is a good player, maybe was a little overhyped at one point and has faded as the season has progressed, but has big potential, have to remember that he's only nineteen and will be a good signing for someone if he leaves Leeds.

In terms of a young winger seems we're more likely to go for someone like Nico WIlliams or Luiz Henrique.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Ramsey,young,cash,bailey, buendia are players that i feel wont start as they are the  more weaker out the bunch, konsa would feel hard done by to lose his spot also but there could be a shift there. But other than that every other player should start and probably will , they aren’t as bad as you think remember this current lot under emery are top 4. You earn to play by performing greatly and many have done so,  therefore you keep your spot.

Ive called for three starters to be upgraded on so thats three new players going straight into the first team more than enough to cause a nuisance to rivals and opponents for the new campaign.

I’ve never said they were bad, I was saying until we know who Emery brings in we can’t even say who will start next season.  You are right, if not all will likely start, but with some of the links we’ve had some of them might not.  We have no idea who Emery wants to bring in.  Only half of the players you mention I would say are definitely starting if they are still here at the start of the season, with the others likely but not definitely starting.  It’s all about who we bring in and we honestly have no idea who Emery is bringing in, how many or what positions.  We all have personal opinions on who to bring in, areas to upgrade and who should start whatever but we have no idea what Emery will do.

Edited by nick76