Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Signing Ings was the one obviously daft bit of business we’ve gone since NSWE took over. Some transfers haven’t worked out - Sanson, Bailey, Buendia (for the price paid) etc. but they were good moves at the time. I remember especially being excited about Buendia and Bailey. But Ings? Just stupid on the contract he was given. I bet he couldn’t believe it when Villa came knocking. 

we have done some good business, but we have also done some terrible business tbh since we were promoted.

i dunno, without looking at specifics i would say our transfer business since promotion has been 50/50, some very good signings, and some really bad ones too, as well as the usual middle of the road signings :)

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Signing Ings was the one obviously daft bit of business we’ve gone since NSWE took over. Some transfers haven’t worked out - Sanson, Bailey, Buendia (for the price paid) etc. but they were good moves at the time. I remember especially being excited about Buendia and Bailey. But Ings? Just stupid on the contract he was given. I bet he couldn’t believe it when Villa came knocking. 

I agree, it made no sense as a signing, I said so at the time. The other three you mentioned were sensible signings when they happened.

Just now, MaVilla said:

we have done some good business, but we have also done some terrible business tbh since we were promoted.

i dunno, without looking at specifics i would say our transfer business since promotion has been 50/50, some very good signings, and some really bad ones too, as well as the usual middle of the road signings :)

I don't know about that, I would have made different decisions but a lot of other people could say the same.

You might say it is wasted signings or something like that but players like Nakamba/AEG/Trez etc all had a role to play in filling out a squad and keeping us up.

• Like 1

Id be really interested to see what the club do in the Summer with regards to outs. There’s the obvious players like Traore, Sanson, Olsen, but there are also players like Dendoncker, Bailey, Buendia who are on the fringes (or they are if everyone is fit). Then you have the high earners like Digne and Coutinho who I think we’d probably be better off getting rid of but one could argue Digne has his worth. Coutinho, I think the ship has sailed. 

Then, and this is the part that interests me, there are the players that have a genuine value and are considered first team regulars. I wouldn’t want to sell McGinn or Watkins or Luiz, but what if somebody comes in with stupid money? Say somebody offers £60m for Watkins? What do you do then? Will the club back itself to go out and find someone better? And McGinn. He’s had a wonderful season and looks reborn as a player but approaching 30, would we cash in if an offer came in? Cash is another player who hasn’t had a great season but would probably fetch £30m…

Every player has their price, I get that, I’m just wondering if the club will really back Emery and sell players the fans consider as good enough to go out and buy somebody else. 

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Emery has been the best thing to happen to the club since appointing Dean Smith. It’s why I want the club to go out and get him 4/5 first team players this Summer and really back him. I don’t care what anyone says, I don’t think our squad is all that great but he has players like Mings and Luiz playing like prime Beckenbaeur and Scholes. 

He is our shot at the big time. We HAVE to go for it this Summer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Id be really interested to see what the club do in the Summer with regards to outs. There’s the obvious players like Traore, Sanson, Olsen, but there are also players like Dendoncker, Bailey, Buendia who are on the fringes (or they are if everyone is fit). Then you have the high earners like Digne and Coutinho who I think we’d probably be better off getting rid of but one could argue Digne has his worth. Coutinho, I think the ship has sailed. 

Then, and this is the part that interests me, there are the players that have a genuine value and are considered first team regulars. I wouldn’t want to sell McGinn or Watkins or Luiz, but what if somebody comes in with stupid money? Say somebody offers £60m for Watkins? What do you do then? Will the club back itself to go out and find someone better? And McGinn. He’s had a wonderful season and looks reborn as a player but approaching 30, would we cash in if an offer came in? Cash is another player who hasn’t had a great season but would probably fetch £30m…

Every player has their price, I get that, I’m just wondering if the club will really back Emery and sell players the fans consider as good enough to go out and buy somebody else. 

Id be really interested to see what the club do in the Summer with regards to outs. There’s the obvious players like Traore, Sanson, Olsen

I don't think Traore is obvious, I don't see the benefit of selling a squad player who is useful, and you won't get much for, may as well keep.

but there are also players like Dendoncker, Bailey, Buendia who are on the fringes (or they are if everyone is fit).

Dendonker and Bailey could definitely be sold, especially Bailey. Buendia, I don't see him getting sold being able to play three roles in this side.

Then you have the high earners like Digne and Coutinho who I think we’d probably be better off getting rid of but one could argue Digne has his worth. Coutinho, I think the ship has sailed.  

You are right Digne is a more than capable backup but the wages reported are very large, if we could get anywhere near his current book value we should sell him. Coutinho should be sold, end of story.

Then, and this is the part that interests me, there are the players that have a genuine value and are considered first team regulars. I wouldn’t want to sell McGinn or Watkins or Luiz, but what if somebody comes in with stupid money? Say somebody offers £60m for Watkins? What do you do then?

60m yes I would sell him without a pause, I was in favour of selling McGinn over the last 2 seasons but he looks reborn in this new role so it would have to be hefty and I simply wouldn't sell Luiz unless it was stupid money like you mentioned for Watkins.

Will the club back itself to go out and find someone better? would we cash in if an offer came in? Cash is another player who hasn’t had a great season but would probably fetch £30m…

I would sell Cash without pausing for thought for 30m too, as for the club backing itself to find better It is an interesting point, for me it isn't hard to buy a better right back for 30m or even more to the point a better right back for this new system. Sometimes you don't need to buy better can I buy cheaper in wages and fee and get the same output from a player or a player with more potential.

I don't think anyone can answer that, it depends on the mindset of NSWE and Purslow.

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I dont think you are offered enough for McGinn by anyone now given his age. That would have been two years ago to cash in on him.

18 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I get your point but I think if you look big picture we signed players who kept us up, then players who got us to midtable, then players who have got us challenging Europe. Obviously managerial appointments have been key but I don’t think anyone can dispute the gradual/not so gradual improvement of our squad.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Emery has been the best thing to happen to the club since appointing Dean Smith. It’s why I want the club to go out and get him 4/5 first team players this Summer and really back him. I don’t care what anyone says, I don’t think our squad is all that great but he has players like Mings and Luiz playing like prime Beckenbaeur and Scholes. 

He is our shot at the big time. We HAVE to go for it this Summer. 

completely agree, i hope Emery gets exactly what "he" wants, and not what Lange or someone else wants.

I had a little shot at rating our signings since promotion.........im gonna get some crying/raging i think from some :P

For me at least, we have spent 200m+ on average or poor transfers since promotion, we wasted a lot of money i think.

image.png.d37730f6a54fccb42292410cf54e5f49.png

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I don't know about that, I would have made different decisions but a lot of other people could say the same.

You might say it is wasted signings or something like that but players like Nakamba/AEG/Trez etc all had a role to play in filling out a squad and keeping us up.

they had a role for sure, but if we had spent that money better, we wouldnt have been in that relegation dog fight imo.

Edited by MaVilla

11 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I get your point but I think if you look big picture we signed players who kept us up, then players who got us to midtable, then players who have got us challenging Europe. Obviously managerial appointments have been key but I don’t think anyone can dispute the gradual/not so gradual improvement of our squad.

Yep and you kind of alluded to it, Gerrard was a disaster.

27 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

It depends how you look and categorise the signings. 

Neither Wesley or Samatta were good signings. Both were bad signings. But one was significantly worse than the other - in that case, money recouped v money not recouped.

I personally think Wesley is our one genuinely bad permanent signing, the one that was a complete waste of a large amount of money (sorry Wes). And while I don’t think he’d have gone on to be a success anyway, I have to acknowledge the injury pretty much destroyed any likelihood he would be a success.

If Samatta had left for nothing, I’d include him but we somehow got £5m for him. So basically around £3m for terrible loan -very <shrugs shoulders>.

I think the good signings - both the value of their efforts on the pitch and their improved transfer value massively outweigh the signings that haven’t worked out.

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

completely agree, i hope Emery gets exactly what "he" wants, and not what Lange or someone else wants.

I had a little shot at rating our signings since promotion.........im gonna get some crying/raging i think from some :P

For me at least, we have spent 200m+ on average or poor transfers since promotion, we wasted a lot of money i think.

oooo you are ballsey for putting that little spreadsheet out 😅

Samata I would move to poor because they got so much of the fee back, but then we did have to put up with all the African's telling us he was the second coming.
Nakamba, AEG, Trez, Engels i would have in average

Coutinho, Ings Olsen, Sanson, Jota I would move to terrible
I agree with the rest

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I’m not going to rage or cry but I would move Konsa and Cash to excellent, Trez and El Ghazi and Ings  to at least average. Targett and Chambers to good.

I think you fail to account for where we were at the point of signing, and the value for money we’ve had out of them.

• Like 3

On 20/05/2023 at 16:45, est1874 said:

Hang on that's Emi's 5th yellow since new year, is he suspended now??

36 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Largely agree, but I would put Ings to Avg., Olsen to terrible. I think it's also pretty unfair on El Ghazi tbh. He was not Prem standard, but for where we were he was decent. Sometimes more than decent (ahem Playoff final). 

I alsoas sume that Carlos and Duran are the TBC part of that column, as I still think (Carlos in particular) can end up being really good for us. 

Edit, sorry just seen that you prefaced it by saying 'since promotion'. My bad.

Edited by HKP90

50 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

It’s not a ridiculous spreadsheet.

I would put Konsa in the Excellent category. 

Nakamba, Trez, El Ghazi, Ings and Hause all go to average.

Wes to terrible.

Not sure about some of the prices either. I know Buendia rises from 33 to 38…have we reached the point where that additional payment has been made? Ditto Watkins.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s not a ridiculous spreadsheet.

I would put Konsa in the Excellent category. 

Nakamba, Trez, El Ghazi, Ings and Hause all go to average.

Wes to terrible.

Not sure about some of the prices either. I know Buendia rises from 33 to 38…have we reached the point where that additional payment has been made? Ditto Watkins.

Don’t think Konsa was £15m either, but could be wrong.

ye, fair points, i know everyone has their own opinions :)

I put Konsa at 13m, i thought that was correct, maybe not.

• Like 1