Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

19 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Another odd one for us because he would play Douglas Luiz's role for us and Dougie is in the running for our Player of the Season.  I can maybe see it if Dougie was off this summer, but he signed a new deal last fall after Arsenal came in for him on deadline day.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Torres is a great player, but I don't see him displacing Mings from the starting 11 unless Tyrone starts having howlers again like he did under Slippy G.  Torres has Kamara's passing ability, but he would be the least physical of all our CBs, including Chambers, and he is very weak in the air.  Mings and Konsa have been one of the best CB partnerships in the Premier League under Emery so far.  Does that mean they can't be improved?  Not at all, but when you have a quality CB like Diego Carlos stuck on the bench because Mings & Konsa are playing so well, it's hard to believe we're going to spend 30 million on a player to replace Chambers on the bench.  

Agree with all of that which is what I was trying to say above. 

Only caveat is that Unai Emery' shoes know more about football than me. So for all we know he might want an attacking CB to help us create more chances and dominate possession thereby conceding fewer chances and goals anyway. 

If Unai wants this man and to throw Tyronne Mings in the bomb squad I will think its harsh but he has my trust to do whatever the hell he likes with this team. 

27 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Another odd one for us because he would play Douglas Luiz's role for us and Dougie is in the running for our Player of the Season.  I can maybe see it if Dougie was off this summer, but he signed a new deal last fall after Arsenal came in for him on deadline day.  

I think he can come in to play right midfield or left midfield, or Luiz' role. He is versatile enough. In fact I think the extra attacking freedom of the wide midfield positions would suit his game better. Honestly if we got him and any one of Asensio, Williams, or Torres we would a fearsome proposition. 

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Why is there never any middle ground or nuance with Villa fans?

Why would anyone have to go into a " bomb squad ".

Aside from his own experience, Emery isn't thick, we will both have seen how much Ming's has come on ( He's always had the physical attributes and potential ), as well as be very cognitive of how popular he is with both fans and players.

No lack of nuance from this Villa fan just some misreading of my post from you but no worries. 

"If" was the key word there. I was just saying Unai has earned capital to do whatever he wants and I'd agree that Mings will likely be a central player for him. 

1 minute ago, villaglint said:

No lack of nuance from this Villa fan just some misreading of my post from you but no worries. 

"If" was the key word there. I was just saying Unai has earned capital to do whatever he wants and I'd agree that Mings will likely be a central player for him. 

No I got what you meant mate 

What I'm saying is that, I couldn't see him making that decision.

I get what you mean however.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

2 strong links. Both would be excellent signings.

What's the difference between the two?

If we could only get one, who should it be? I'm aware this might be a silly question.

The things I've read about Ugarte are bloody exciting, however it seems Livepool fans think he's besically theirs?

I'm not so set on who should be a starter now. I'm of the opinion you get 2 or 3 players for each position and let them earn it. Maybe Torres and Mings are the ones who earn it for a while, maybe Konsa and Carlos take it from them. But we need the competition and depth. Mings and Konsa have definitely played well enough to be 2 of the 4 / 5. We don't don't know how Carlos is fitness wise yet and there's another spot for a top CB, with one of the better kids (maybe Feeney) as the cover.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we get 8 in with almost as many leaving.

GK, RB, CB, LB (if Digne leaves), CM, CAM, FW, ST.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If we could only get one, who should it be? I'm aware this might be a silly question.

The things I've read about Ugarte are bloody exciting, however it seems Livepool fans think he's besically theirs?

They’ve thought Bellingham was theirs for almost a year and look how that worked out.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don’t know man - I just share this sh*t from Twitter 😂

Although from my basic knowledge I’d say Guendouzi is seen more in the McGinn advanced role but can play deep - whereas Ugarte is more of a Dougie Luiz deeper, but can be effective further forward. 

Adds quality and depth to both positions. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I don’t know man - I just share this sh*t from Twitter 😂

Although from my basic knowledge I’d say Guendouzi is seen more in the McGinn advanced role but can play deep - whereas Ugarte is more of a Dougie Luiz deeper, but can be effective further forward. 

Adds quality and depth to both positions. 

Some of the comments 😤

" he is a pressing monster. he is exactly the kind of player Klopp's midfield needs. " 

" The aggressiveness of Edgar Davids and the technique of Fernando Redondo. This boy is incredible. The perfect player for Klopp. "

" The most complete midfielder i ever saw in Sporting. And in The last years we had bruno Fernandes, Matheus Nunes, palhinha… "

Mate!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think they both offer something different, but the main difference for me is that Ugarte will soon be out of our league. We either get him now, or not at all. He’s a future elite DM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ugarte is more of a 6 i think, Guendouzi is more of an 8.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Torres is a great player, but I don't see him displacing Mings from the starting 11 unless Tyrone starts having howlers again like he did under Slippy G.  Torres has Kamara's passing ability, but he would be the least physical of all our CBs, including Chambers, and he is very weak in the air.  Mings and Konsa have been one of the best CB partnerships in the Premier League under Emery so far.  Does that mean they can't be improved?  Not at all, but when you have a quality CB like Diego Carlos stuck on the bench because Mings & Konsa are playing so well, it's hard to believe we're going to spend 30 million on a player to replace Chambers on the bench.  

Mings and Konsa have been excellent under Emery but I think if Torres was available at £30m (sources indicate he is because he only has 1 year left on contract) and was happy to come here and play under Emery again we'd be mad not to strongly consider it. Torres is also very good on the ball and good at playing out of a high press, something which Mings and Konsa have got better at but are never going to be brilliant at IMO. We need to shift Chambers and Hause this summer because they're not good enough and only three CBs isn't enough so it makes sense to target a high quality CB rather than just an average one so that we can make progress.

Whether we could keep the quartet of Mings, Konsa, Carlos and Pau Torres happy without European football (assuming we finish 8th and not higher) who knows, but we should not be turning our noses up at signing a player of the calibre of Pau Torres especially when we need better ball playing defenders. 

35 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I think he can come in to play right midfield or left midfield, or Luiz' role. He is versatile enough. In fact I think the extra attacking freedom of the wide midfield positions would suit his game better. Honestly if we got him and any one of Asensio, Williams, or Torres we would a fearsome proposition. 

Ugarte???  He's a 5'10" defensive midfielder with no goals or assists this year...  What makes you think he'd be a good option for the attacking roles for us?

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Ugarte???  He's a 5'10" defensive midfielder with no goals or assists this year...  What makes you think he'd be a good option for the attacking roles for us?

If we got Ugarte, him, Kamara and Doug would be rotating in the pivot. Doug could also play on left. Given Kamara’s injury record we could see Luiz x Ugarte as the most used combo.

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

yeah it is an interesting one, 60m for him when we already have Kamara & Dougie. Maybe planning on pushing Dougie up? Or just wanting more depth. 

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

2 strong links. Both would be excellent signings.

Even stronger links with that. Ugarte will be quite interesting, are we being used by the agent to get Liverpool to pay up?

9 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

yeah it is an interesting one, 60m for him when we already have Kamara & Dougie. Maybe planning on pushing Dougie up? Or just wanting more depth. 

Even stronger links with that. Ugarte will be quite interesting, are we being used by the agent to get Liverpool to pay up?

They are going via Mendes who we have a good relationship with so its more likely we have shown interest

• Like 1