Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

I was being a bit facetious, I admit. However I’d have no qualms of him being a squad player next season, unless of course we can book an FFP profit on him, then it’s best for all parties to part ways. 

I am glad he’s doing well though, but it’s also a warning about future signings, that just because they look objectively great on stat sites, that they might not be quite what they seem. 

9 minutes ago, Indigo said:

The likes of FBRef are an amazing resource - I use them all the time - but there is way too much of an over-emphasis put on them by fans, as there is so much more context needed to actually assess a player.

Stats give you an idea of the type of player you're looking at but, without context, not how good they are

21 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Absolutely pathetic stuff from Football Insider - not sure where to put this - they have zero credibility 

18 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't understand, what Organisation?

I agree @The_Steve They have zero credibility in the crap they post.

What I am interested to know though, like @TRO, what's this organisation thing they refer to?  🤔

1 hour ago, Rich192 said:

I was being a bit facetious, I admit. However I’d have no qualms of him being a squad player next season, unless of course we can book an FFP profit on him, then it’s best for all parties to part ways. 

I am glad he’s doing well though, but it’s also a warning about future signings, that just because they look objectively great on stat sites, that they might not be quite what they seem. 

To be fair to Sanson I think he never really got a chance. He was highly regarded when we went for him but he may have been a Lange signing that Smith and then Gerrard didn’t fancy, perhaps down to them making a point about wanting to bring their own players in.  

Every time he played for us I thought he looked decent and the stats look to back that up, granted in an inferior league. 

Sliding doors moment for him I feel, in another universe he’s played 75+ games for us and done well. 

In Valencia earlier in the week scouting 18 y.o Valladolid RB Fresneda apparently. Not seen much but he's supposedly very. very highly rated.

£26.5m release clause and Arsenal, Newcastle, Real M and so on interested.

8 hours ago, burchy said:

Just looked at Lo Celso’s stats compared to McGinn’s and they’re not that dissimilar to be honest with you.

His passing stats are ever so slightly higher, his tackling success rate is also a bit higher than McGinn’s, but that’s about it.

If we want an upgrade at RM I’m not sure he’s the answer, especially if you throw in players like Otavio, Veiga or Szboszlai, who all outperform both McGinn and Lo Celso. 

For me Lo Celso would be the more defensive RM we’d be bringing in, if we didn’t have McGinn and already had an Otavio or Szboszlai. In truth we already have that defensive option in McGinn. 

I’d like us to get a more attacking player in, but one that can also do the graft too. 

It's a bit disingenuous to compare Otavio's stats in the Portuguese top flight with Lo Celso in the PL & La Liga with the gulf in quality there. Veiga & Szoboszlai are also probably unrealistic targets tbh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

It's a bit disingenuous to compare Otavio's stats in the Portuguese top flight with Lo Celso in the PL & La Liga with the gulf in quality there. Veiga & Szoboszlai are also probably unrealistic targets tbh

In all honesty I do tend to take the leagues into account but for the RM role I look at things like progressive passing and carry stats as well as tackle percentages, take on successes, shots on target and things like that. 

As people have pointed out the Premier League and La Liga have more in common now than they ever had previously so comparing McGinn to Lo Celso was a worthwhile exercise I thought. 

As for Veiga and Szboszlai I’d agree on the former but not the latter. I think we could land Szboszlai if we wanted him.

I’d have him in our team but not sure he works hard enough for Emery so he’s probably not on the McGinn 2.0/3.0 list

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sne said:

In Valencia earlier in the week scouting 18 y.o Valladolid RB Fresneda apparently. Not seen much but he's supposedly very. very highly rated.

£26.5m release clause and Arsenal, Newcastle, Real M and so on interested.

I wonder why as it seems we’re pretty stacked RB wise, especially with KKH on a lengthy contract (4 years remaining is it?)

1 minute ago, burchy said:

I wonder why as it seems we’re pretty stacked RB wise, especially with KKH on a lengthy contract (4 years remaining is it?)

Young will not get a new contract right?

19 minutes ago, burchy said:

We could just be scouting Valencia again, as their entire squad will be sold off at a cut rate this summer if they go down.