Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

48 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not sure I agree.  The offer we apparently made was to his people not the club and that was very limited sources, if not one source so was it real, an inquiry or what.  His club said several times that not only did we not make a bid, we never even contacted them, that they were waiting for the bid but nothing came.  So we didn’t know how much his club wanted, no negotiations happened and no movement in the final week or two of the window, all for what? So we then wait until the summer? Seems unlikely and then it’s not a good look that he completely loses form and gets dropped.  Hmmm….not sure it all fits imo but I guess we’ll wait and see.  Sounds like a player that could be good for us and he played well with Kamara but to me it’s just another player linked in a window that has gone, nothing happened and the next window it all starts fresh with new links.  Maybe Guendouzi will be one of those links but generally doesn’t happen two windows on the trot but there are always exceptions.

Who knows what goes on during a transfer or bidding for a player, definite interest on our part, it did rumble on throughout January, maybe Marseille didn't want to sell a big player for them during January as in the mix for the French title & it would of needed a stupid offer for them to let him go, probs in the region of what you said £50/60 million & we weren't prepared to pay that, that's why we didn't bid, who knows. He wouldn't necessarily replace Mcginn think he could play anywhere in the midfield like Mcginn can, think he would be a great addition to our sqaud/midfield, still young big, strong, creative, chips in with goals. You could be right we may have identified other targets since January, just think he fits & Emery is an admirer. 

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Emi Martinez would love us to sign Lo Celso, the Argentina nationals seem very tight. We have to watch out so we don’t end up with Romero as well.

Give Messi a call, get the band back together. He only wants €40 million a year but it'd be a free transfer.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, burchy said:

I think we’ll keep him around and then reevaluate next summer as we’ll need a younger left back as both Moreno and Digne will be 30 or close to it.

I agree, unless an Ings-like opportunity to clear the FFP on him pops up we should keep him around.  Maybe we need to sign a right wing back option who can get to the bye-line for the squad if Moreno gets injured to achieve a similar balance.  Not sure if that Dumfries is that kind of player.

6 hours ago, duke313 said:

Tim would certainly be useful at the minute never mind next season.

🤣

He only attempted one pass as well. That's the 4th time in 6 games that he's had single digit passes (counting 0 as a single digit). He has been averaging less than 10 passes per game over those 6 games. Ashley Westwood would have been embarrassed with that.

I'm not writing him off by any means, because by all accounts, their manager doesn't want the midfielders passing the ball, but the level he's playing at and his impact on games at that level is light years away from improving our first team right now. Josh Cullen and Josh Brownhill are absolutely dominating in midfield at that level, and are not players that we would even remotely consider adding to improve our midfield.

Emery will get a chance to evaluate them all in pre-season, but if he keeps any of them around next year, I expect it will be behind an entrenched starter, with experienced cover as well, in the hope that they can play their way into contention in training, and take advantage of any injury\cup opportunities. Any idea that he'll come back, and slot in ahead of someone like Dendonker is just crazy fan-talk (that's pretty common about our youth players on here). If we sign another CM, it will almost certainly be in his best interest to go out on loan again. Raikhy got opportunities with the first team during the World Cup break and is now being released. Emery knows how to evaluate players in pre-season\training without having to throw them in at the deep end to find out if they're up to it yet.

He's a very exciting prospect, but people need to get a grip and realize the gulf in class between the bottom of the Championship and the top of the PL. Plus, he's still only 19. He'll still be very young to be playing CM in the PL in 2 years time.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sne said:

Stan Collymore thinks Harry Maguire and Aston Villa is a "match made in heaven"

I though it was his ex girlfriends head he slammed into the ground and not his own?

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2023/04/24/man-united-transfer-news-stan-collymore-urges-aston-villa-to-sign-harry-maguire/

Slab Head is not an upgrade on what we have

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

We have 2 30 year old centrehalves. Lets get another eh ! About as far from the ideal defender that Emery would want. 

Exactly, it's not his age though, it's more the fact that he's shite

• Like 3

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

If we’re spending big on a CB, he needs to be 23-25 age bracket, someone who is about to peak.

I’m not sure what the question is, but slab head isn’t the answer.

The question is which prem centre half would make the best draft excluder. And the answer is....

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, sne said:

Stan Collymore thinks Harry Maguire and Aston Villa is a "match made in heaven"

I though it was his ex girlfriends head he slammed into the ground and not his own?

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2023/04/24/man-united-transfer-news-stan-collymore-urges-aston-villa-to-sign-harry-maguire/

Edited by TheStagMan

8 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Wouldn’t make sense to send him on loan to Nice while paying 2/3 of his wages. He’s still a good enough player so seems stupid to pay lots of money just to get rid.

I agree, if that were the deal I would keep him

4 hours ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

🤣

He only attempted one pass as well. That's the 4th time in 6 games that he's had single digit passes (counting 0 as a single digit). He has been averaging less than 10 passes per game over those 6 games. Ashley Westwood would have been embarrassed with that.

I'm not writing him off by any means, because by all accounts, their manager doesn't want the midfielders passing the ball, but the level he's playing at and his impact on games at that level is light years away from improving our first team right now. Josh Cullen and Josh Brownhill are absolutely dominating in midfield at that level, and are not players that we would even remotely consider adding to improve our midfield.

Emery will get a chance to evaluate them all in pre-season, but if he keeps any of them around next year, I expect it will be behind an entrenched starter, with experienced cover as well, in the hope that they can play their way into contention in training, and take advantage of any injury\cup opportunities. Any idea that he'll come back, and slot in ahead of someone like Dendonker is just crazy fan-talk (that's pretty common about our youth players on here). If we sign another CM, it will almost certainly be in his best interest to go out on loan again. Raikhy got opportunities with the first team during the World Cup break and is now being released. Emery knows how to evaluate players in pre-season\training without having to throw them in at the deep end to find out if they're up to it yet.

He's a very exciting prospect, but people need to get a grip and realize the gulf in class between the bottom of the Championship and the top of the PL. Plus, he's still only 19. He'll still be very young to be playing CM in the PL in 2 years time.

He was good there before they changed manager and system.

Reassess in the summer and either keep him to train him under the new setup then loan out again or simply go straight for the loan in the summer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

If we’re spending big on a CB, he needs to be 23-25 age bracket, someone who is about to peak.

I’m not sure what the question is, but slab head isn’t the answer.

Exactly this new centre backs must be younger as we don't want to end up in a situation where they are all aging at the same time needing to be replaced.

6 hours ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

🤣

I agreee. Villa fans have a real habit of dramatically over rating our youngsters.

If Tim, Cameron or Ramsey 2 are anywhere near our PL first team next season them we have had a seriously bad summer. 

Not saying one or 2 of our youngsters won't make it at PL level one day, but none of them have proven anything at this level yet and we need to hit the ground running next season.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, sne said:

Media linked to Giovani Lo Celso. Emery loves him and so on. He had him at both PSG and Villarreal so might be something in it. Or not.

I think McGinn is doing everything and more Lo Celso would do for our side. Agent chatter IMO.

11 hours ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

🤣

The loan move hasnt worked out but all the management chabges its not really his fault. Boro and preston are two good championship clubs that at least use our players properly 

I wonder if Luton come up via the play offs they’ll be interested in Marv as he seems to be doing great there at present.

As for Tim, I think he’s done enough in the first part of the season to get a lot of clubs interested in him next year, same for AJ.

Tim, top championship club, AJ promoted premier league club. Archer I’d keep and add to the squad (AJ too if we get Europe).