Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Adman said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/gallery/10-free-agents-aston-villa-26728346.amp

Can't say I've watched much of any of them but free transfers of

Soria

Ndika

Ceballos

Nelson

Thuram

Plus Guendouzi and Walker Peters transforms our squad

I don't think I want to transform it too much anymore!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Agree we disagree 😂 by the way I’m not saying we are going on huge spending spree just if an opportunity arose or Emery wanted a certain player we could buy a PL player…a Smith Rowe, Maddison, Johnson, Mount or whoever.  I’m not advocating for any of these players but I could easily see a spend on one of these type of players and then several foreign talents and still not have a “huge” spending spree by current PL standards.

As for best value for the club, that’s such a subjective term…a 22 year old Smith Rowe for £50m could, based on shown talent before injury, be our star for the next ten years, knows he can do it in the PL at the top end and if we sold him before that would have significant market value whereas Kang-In for £18m is the same age, not played in PL and would be lost to military service for two years within 5.5 years.  On pure best value for the club then it’s cheapness upfront compared to less risk and longevity, so best value isn’t always about how cheap a fee is.  

Yep this all speculation though and we’ll have to wait until the summer to see what the club do.

With the links to Antonio Cordon as Sporting Director resurfacing, I'd imagine we are going to be spending the bulk of our budget outside the PL, based purely on the fact the new sporting director and his scouts don't know the PL as well as La Liga and the South American markets. 

That's not to say we won't shop in the PL, if a good deal is available and Emery wants the player then we'll go for it. Just a feeling that it won't be our primary market this summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

With the links to Antonio Cordon as Sporting Director resurfacing, I'd imagine we are going to be spending the bulk of our budget outside the PL, based purely on the fact the new sporting director and his scouts don't know the PL as well as La Liga and the South American markets. 

That's not to say we won't shop in the PL, if a good deal is available and Emery wants the player then we'll go for it. Just a feeling that it won't be our primary market this summer.

I think we are saying the same thing now with Cordon factor added so in agreement.  My point to the prior poster was that top PL players won’t be off the radar as seemed to be suggested even if we do shop more abroad.

46 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Initially when I heard the military service thing I was put off....

However it has been suggested a professional athlete can defer military service until aged 38 years.

Kang-In looks decent, can play in a variety of positions across the front three.

Same age as Smith-Rowe, yet more caps for his National side and he's cheaper.

Pros and Cons on both, I was using them as an example.  I don’t care really as long as we bring in quality and they are the players Emery wants.

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

Spotrac have Olsen on £80k a week, we bought him for £3m I would say he's probably on £30k a week.

Just now, ozvilla28 said:

Would love Harvey Barnes his quality,  but price tag to steep.

I like Barnes but typically for his age he is far from a consistent performer.

however, on his day he can be unplayable 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

What about that Italian winger at Leeds played very well against us how has he been travelling.

Doesn't start for them anymore. 

I remember when he played against us, Gary Neville was treating him like the second coming of Christ. 

He's got talent for sure, but it would still feel like a gamble. Not sure he suits our system and they'd want a pretty penny for him too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Clubs don’t publish wages most of the time for obvious reasons. Nobody knows what every player earns. It’s just empty speculation. 

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Doesn't start for them anymore. 

I remember when he played against us, Gary Neville was treating him like the second coming of Christ. 

He's got talent for sure, but it would still feel like a gamble. Not sure he suits our system and they'd want a pretty penny for him too. 

Who would we bet on unlocking the potential of him and consistency? Marsch and whoever is their manager now or Emery? 

That's the deciding question for me

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

What about that Italian winger at Leeds played very well against us how has he been travelling.

If we are in the market for a winger, I wouldn't mind having a look at Olise at Palace, left footed and plays on the right.  Looks a better player than Bailey too.

Palace have to sell some players in summer you'd imagine, the only player they've sold in last 2 season is Benteke for a few million.  Can see them cashing in on Olise and Eze.

8 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If we are in the market for a winger, I wouldn't mind having a look at Olise at Palace, left footed and plays on the right.  Looks a better player than Bailey too.

Palace have to sell some players in summer you'd imagine, the only player they've sold in last 2 season is Benteke for a few million.  Can see them cashing in on Olise and Eze.

Two of their better younger players, I’d be surprised unless for large sums of money.  Surely those players are their future.

Just now, nick76 said:

Two of their better younger players, I’d be surprised unless for large sums of money.  Surely those players are their future.

Normally I'd agree, but looking at their outgoing transfers, the only player they've sold this season is Benteke and nobody last season.  The last time they sold a player was 2020/21 season.

More or less no income from players sales, surely FFP will hammer them?

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Really? 

That's like us selling Luiz and Kamara this Summer. 

Palace will only sell either at an astronomically high price (£50m+) and whilst I rate both, I don't think we're in a position to spend that sum of money yet on a single player, and I'm not sure it would be sensible to either. 

I can see us doing most of our shopping in Spain/Portugal this summer, Guendouzi aside but regardless, there is so much better value abroad than trying to buy our rivals best players. 

FWIW, if money were no object, I'd have both. I think both are fantastic players with bags of potential. 

3 hours ago, brummybloke said:

We are 6th lowest net spend this season in the league but our wages are still pretty high.

i guess we were one of the lowest net spends last season also?, i think we only spent £1-2m net in 21/22?

Hopefully we can offload some of our non first 11 big earners (or big-ish earners), like Digne etc to free up some wage space.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Really? 

That's like us selling Luiz and Kamara this Summer. 

Palace will only sell either at an astronomically high price (£50m+) and whilst I rate both, I don't think we're in a position to spend that sum of money yet on a single player, and I'm not sure it would be sensible to either. 

I can see us doing most of our shopping in Spain/Portugal this summer, Guendouzi aside but regardless, there is so much better value abroad than trying to buy our rivals best players. 

FWIW, if money were no object, I'd have both. I think both are fantastic players with bags of potential. 

And we would have to if we had no money.

Benteke aside, the last time Palace sold a player for any money was September 2020 🤣

They can't keep going without selling players, they have to cash in at some point.