Weekends Football 20/22 January/Midweek Football 23/25 January

andykeenan

21 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

This weekend has been near perfect from a Villa point of view.

Liverpool 0 Chelsea 0 ... Keeps both Pool and Chelsea in reach
AFC Bournemouth 1 Nottingham Forest 1 ...  Bournemouthnor forest catch up
Leicester City 2 Brighton & Hove Albion 2 ... Leicester don't catch u and Brighton don't get away
Southampton 0 Aston Villa 1 ... OK we could have scored 20 to help with the goal difference
West Ham United 2 Everton 0 ... Would have preferred a 0-0 draw but this is OK
Crystal Palace 0 Newcastle United 0 ... Assuming we are not catching Newcy Brown oil a win for them might have been better, 0-0 draw next best thing.
Leeds United 0 Brentford 0 ... Leeds does not catch up and slowly reel in Brentford
Manchester City 3 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 ... Keeps the Wolves at bay
Arsenal 3 Manchester United 2 ... If we are going to catch wither it's Man United

A tip. Don't look down.  Relegation fight starts 10 points below us. 

When we employed Emery we were in that well and truly. Now its not arrogance but we are better than that with a manager who knows exactly what he is doing. 

So enjoy looking up. Because no one is catching us who are below us . 

We will lose a few but it feels now that we can get a result against anyone. 

20 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Fashionable Islington? Well, there's that, I guess, but that's not really the heart of Arsenal's fanbase I saw, which was more towards Finsbury Park. When I say "media ghetto," I don't mean stupid celebs and the lah-de-dah crowd. I mean the majority of people who work in the media in London. Not fashionable, not wealthy, and definitely not too proud of themselves, in my experience.       

I just mean they have a lot of rocket polisher fans who use their support of the club to seem closer to the common man tbh

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

A tip. Don't look down.  Relegation fight starts 10 points below us. 

So enjoy looking up. Because no one is catching us who are below us . 

I do enjoy looking up. I enjoy looking around even more.

And when the time comes I will be ecstatic when I can only look down.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Shockingly better this season though ain't it.

Probably has nothing to do with having a better manager and more cohesive team. More likely that it's something that has nothing to do with football.

1 hour ago, fruitvilla said:

This weekend has been near perfect from a Villa point of view.

Liverpool 0 Chelsea 0 ... Keeps both Pool and Chelsea in reach
AFC Bournemouth 1 Nottingham Forest 1 ...  Bournemouthnor forest catch up
Leicester City 2 Brighton & Hove Albion 2 ... Leicester don't catch u and Brighton don't get away
Southampton 0 Aston Villa 1 ... OK we could have scored 20 to help with the goal difference
West Ham United 2 Everton 0 ... Would have preferred a 0-0 draw but this is OK
Crystal Palace 0 Newcastle United 0 ... Assuming we are not catching Newcy Brown oil a win for them might have been better, 0-0 draw next best thing.
Leeds United 0 Brentford 0 ... Leeds does not catch up and slowly reel in Brentford
Manchester City 3 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 ... Keeps the Wolves at bay
Arsenal 3 Manchester United 2 ... If we are going to catch wither it's Man United

I really don't think any of those results particularly affect us either way if I'm honest, (apart from the obvious one).

But, the standout thing from your post is "Pool". I mean, really? 

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Oh, they're not so bad. I find they're a pretty literate and also diverse fan base, overall. They have an outsized presence because Finsbury Park, Archway, Stoke Newington are a big media ghetto, or at least used to be. 

They have a outsized presence because they are the biggest supported club in London. 

14 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Hello grumpy chops. :)

It's exactly those results that brought me to ask the question - the team I saw play today looked like a mid-table Championship team, and yet I know you've had a string of good results, too many to put down to a lucky streak - so what is it that you usually do that was missing today, were there players out, was it a tactical thing, a bad day? 

I cannot see any possible way that the team I saw play Leeds today puts together that run of results, it's just peculiar.

Not Grumpy as this was only my second missed game all season so happy not to have to endure that.When we beat Liverpool the other week we had 8 players (minus Toney) in the starting line up who played in our last game in the championship so you could well say we are over achieving.Our home form has been excellent and along with getting some good luck at times with decisions we look like we will be in for another season in this predictable dull league.Nothing was missing today and would say that was our strongest side that started so we were just poor and looked happy to get a point and make it 8 games unbeaten.I dare  we will eventually be back in the championship as clubs our size will never become established in the PL unless you have a billionaire owner which we haven’t.

15 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Well you seem to forget gerrard was our manager a majority of the season

I think if toney gets a lengthy ban if guilty i think your going to struggle for goals. He is your main source of goals

Some said the same when Eriksen Watkins ect left beat Liverpool a few weeks ago 3 1 without him.The only downside is we are going to miss out on the 50 mill a club would have paid for him.We have already signed his replacement.I expect Toney to get at least a 6 month ban.

9 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Some said the same when Eriksen Watkins ect left beat Liverpool a few weeks ago 3 1 without him.The only downside is we are going to miss out on the 50 mill a club would have paid for him.We have already signed his replacement.I expect Toney to get at least a 6 month ban.

Yep it should be a ban as apparently alot of evidence against him but im not sure why its taken so long to ban him.

He doesn't come across as a nice bloke to be honest. Very good player but a complete dick. If guilty has massivky let the brentford fans team and management down

52 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep it should be a ban as apparently alot of evidence against him but im not sure why its taken so long to ban him.

He doesn't come across as a nice bloke to be honest. Very good player but a complete dick. If guilty has massivky let the brentford fans team and management down

Lets be honest the FA take a lifetime to make a decision for example when they hand out punishments for FFP rule breakers.Toney has to meet the FA and plead guilty then his legal team will try and get a light sentence and could appeal if the sentence is heavy this will all take months and the club think this could take 5 months to conclude.I see most fans of other clubs are questioning why he is still playing but he has to have his chance to state his defence as this could end up with a lifetime ban if it borders on match fixing.I have heard this isn’t the case though. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Lets be honest the FA take a lifetime to make a decision for example when they hand out punishments for FFP rule breakers.Toney has to meet the FA and plead guilty then his legal team will try and get a light sentence and could appeal if the sentence is heavy this will all take months and the club think this could take 5 months to conclude.I see most fans of other clubs are questioning why he is still playing but he has to have his chance to state his defence as this could end up with a lifetime ban if it borders on match fixing.I have heard this isn’t the case though. 

Depends who it is that breaks the rules our nearest and dearest seem to get points deductions when it does not matter and are allowed to take the piss regularly.

Helps when you have a fan on the board making a decision.

With regards to Toney and betting allegations I don't know enough about it but to me if he bets on his team to win that is OK but to lose or certain outcomes like throw ins, yellow cards and so on is a different matter.

If you have faith in your team to win and bet on it and that is breaking the rules I think a massive fine is suffice afterall it's money that counts to the player in that case.

If you are doing the other then for sure a massive ban to deter others.

8 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Depends who it is that breaks the rules our nearest and dearest seem to get points deductions when it does not matter and are allowed to take the piss regularly.

With regards to Toney and betting allegations I don't know enough about it but to me if he bets on his team to win that is OK but to lose or certain outcomes like throw ins, yellow cards and so on is a different matter.

If you have faith in your team to win and bet on it and that is breaking the rules I think a massive fine is suffice afterall it's money that counts to the player in that case.

I think any form of bet for that related sport is wrong to be honest mate 

18 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

The rules are you can’t as a pro footballer bet on any football and every footballer knows that.

Â