Jhon Durán

PieFacE

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think there's also a very good argument that Duran couldn't do what Watkins does from the start of games. They're very different roles. Ollie does a lot of things that Duran doesn't really have to do when he comes into a game so late.

Playing 70+ minutes pressing from the front, working the line, supporting other players etc is different from coming on and chasing a goal

I'm not saying he CAN'T do it. But it's different skills to what he's doing now

Exactly this - Unai said in one of the extended pressers after the game (and this is very badly paraphrased, so apologies) "we could only have one striker position, but we had two different strikers who both needed to do their thing in the time given" - Basically, Oli had a role (run them ragged), Duran had a role (smash em to pieces and lob a World Cup winning GK to win the game). 

I've never know a dynamic where two strikers have worked so well in place of each other, instead of alongside each other (and I understand there's a lot more behind that). But it's fascinating, it's great to watch, and it's winning us games.

• Like 1

The Journo's just can't help themselves, can they?

Every time they talk about him, they cling to mischief and ask if he is happy being a sub.

Jhon Duran is in a unique position of having to share the spot with one of the best front men in Europe, no mean feat.

He is 20, and he has the comfort to grown organically, in an environment, where the scoring pressure is shared.

He is one of the most natural strikers of the ball, I have ever seen....world class in that attribute.....but there is a lot more to the role, for him to learn

He has to learn the art of being a front man, and all that goes with it....what better colleague and manager to learn from.

He is in wonderland right now, with the worlds football press, all over him, and rightly so......I just hope he is ALLOWED to grow naturally.

He may well get his dream move to Real one day, but right now his advisers should be caring for his future, if they leave him alone to learn, and encourage it, he will be some star.

Right now, Ollie is doing the mature work, the ground work for Jhon to come on in amongst tired legs and do his thing.....He won't always have that luxury, and needs to embrace it.

Jhon is lucky he has Ollie to work with ...... a player in his own right recording  a goal in less than every 2 games, which is top class, not to mention his assists ( under Emery).

Learning can never be rushed.....and outcomes usually let us know when we are ready. There will come a time for him to start, right now, he needs to enjoy the scoring.

Jhon would do well, to refer to the smile on his face when asked, and refer to the euphoria from the crowd and his team mates, when he scores....He needs to shut the Journo's down.

Jhon Duran has the (football) world at his feet, his close aids would do well to remind him of that.....and maybe then the press will cotton on ,too.

PS He is well amongst the accolades right now, so he he is in his oiltot, starting or not.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very well said @TRO. Sadly I think the journos won’t leave us alone, and this will be a big story every transfer window, regardless of what the kid says.

The good thing is it possibly gives the rest of our players a bit of cover to just get on with their game. Ollie is quietly serving up consistently excellent performances at the moment. Rogers is getting less attention than he would have otherwise. Unai is handling it all extremely well.

• Thanks 1

You have to remember he’s from the ghetto in Colombia. This is all about giving him and his family security.

The club need to act quickly to bump his pay to squad level status as he’s only on 30k a week. Put him on 80/100k a week and try to add another year to his contract or keep it until 2028 and all this stuff will quickly die down.

Then only a serious club can come in for him and unsettle him. To be fair he’s earned the bump anyway. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Very well said @TRO. Sadly I think the journos won’t leave us alone, and this will be a big story every transfer window, regardless of what the kid says.

The good thing is it possibly gives the rest of our players a bit of cover to just get on with their game. Ollie is quietly serving up consistently excellent performances at the moment. Rogers is getting less attention than he would have otherwise. Unai is handling it all extremely well.

I agree.

The thing that frustrates me, with the line of questioning, is ; They have different attributes, so its hard to compare.

They might both be front men, but their qualities are not necessarily the same, so it's inaccurate to compare.

We are lucky, as a team, to have that diversity in them.

Both cracking players, in their own right.....probably the most dynamic front pair around.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

You have to remember he’s from the ghetto in Colombia. This is all about giving him and his family security.

The club need to act quickly to bump his pay to squad level status as he’s only on 30k a week. Put him on 80/100k a week and try to add another year to his contract or keep it until 2028 and all this stuff will quickly die down.

Then only a serious club can come in for him and unsettle him. To be fair he’s earned the bump anyway. 

I think there was a need years ago to advise the club.....not now.

We have a backroom staff, all over it.

Our guys will have their finger truly on the pulse....They know what we've got.....another budding Batistuta.

Edited by TRO

9 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

His contract at the moment is till 2028 👍 were in an extremely strong position now, January & the summer & come the summer he will still have 3 years left. Going to take stupid money for Villa to let him go, or he stays focused & stays & becomes the striker we all think he can be, right now we're in a very good place with him, the intresting bit will be January to see if he really has grown up & matured, see if he kicks off again to leave.

12 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Exactly this - Unai said in one of the extended pressers after the game (and this is very badly paraphrased, so apologies) "we could only have one striker position, but we had two different strikers who both needed to do their thing in the time given" - Basically, Oli had a role (run them ragged), Duran had a role (smash em to pieces and lob a World Cup winning GK to win the game). 

I've never know a dynamic where two strikers have worked so well in place of each other, instead of alongside each other (and I understand there's a lot more behind that). But it's fascinating, it's great to watch, and it's winning us games.

As the old saying goes " If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Jhon just needs to be coaxed, in to what he is doing is prudent for his incremental growth. I think he is a brighter boy, than we might think.

It's a valid question though. Right now he's happy to play the sub game changer role but there will come a time when he will want to start game. It's a conundrum for Emery. Somehow he might need to find a way of playing them together in such a way they can compliment each other.and not loose other aspects of the team.

36 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

I definitely think he leaves in the summer. So wouldn't get too attached. 

Or Watkins? If one of them was to leave this summer who would people rather let go, Watkins or Duran?

Just now, Czarnikjak said:

Or Watkins? If one of them was to leave this summer who would people rather let go, Watkins or Duran?

Impossible to choose. Keep then both. Find a way of playing them together 

44 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

I definitely think he leaves in the summer. So wouldn't get too attached. 

If it can happen to Jack Grealish, it can happen to any player.

I think we learnt our lesson there.

.......but while he has our Claret & Blue shirt on......I am all in.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â