Jhon Durán

PieFacE

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

You answered that doubt yourself. We won, so Unai isn't going to drop Ollie because he hasn't scored for the first 3 games of the season. And, I know the barren run continues on from the end of last season, but Unai isn't one for impulsive decisions. He will see that Ollie is getting chances and will determine that it will be sooner rather than later when he finds that all important goal. As good as Duran has been, it's a fact, that when he has started a game, it's been, for him, somewhat of an anti - climax. 

I don't know how we say "Ignore the first 3 games of this season" and at the same time "Put a lot of faith into the outcome of the Palace away game to end last year."

These are good problems to have. And I'm glad Unai makes the decisions on them, and not me.

1 minute ago, 479Villan said:

I don't know how we say "Ignore the first 3 games of this season" and at the same time "Put a lot of faith into the outcome of the Palace away game to end last year."

These are good problems to have. And I'm glad Unai makes the decisions on them, and not me.

What's there to "Ignore?"

Ollie is our best striker by a country mile, hence, he will start against Everton. 

I honestly can't think of a manager, worth his salt, who would drop Ollie. What kind of message would that send to him and from a psychological view, it would just exacerbate his current low self - confidence. The goal will come and when it does, all will be forgotten. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What's there to "Ignore?"

We have two strikers, both of which are getting scoring opportunities. One striker is not scoring. The other one, is.

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I honestly can't think of a manager, worth his salt, who would drop Ollie. What kind of message would that send to him and from a psychological view, it would exacerbate his already current low self - confidence. The goal will come and when it does, all will be forgotten. 

It’s not so much about dropping Ollie as it is rewarding Duran for consistently making an impact and scoring goals. And the message that sends around the rest of the squad. Ollie needs to be big enough to accept that if it does happen. We could have 60 odd games this season so we need to see Duran starting games at some point. Maybe that time should be now. Maybe not. I have no doubts that Watkins will come good but we are lucky to have them both. 

• Like 3

Just now, juanpablosaliceband said:

It’s not so much about dropping Ollie as it is rewarding Duran for consistently making an impact and scoring goals. And the message that sends around the rest of the squad. Ollie needs to be big enough to accept that if it does happen. We could have 60 odd games this season so we need to see Duran starting games at some point. Maybe that time should be now. Maybe not. I have no doubts that Watkins will come good but we are lucky to have them both. 

Unai is not going to drop Ollie, he had 13 assists last season, that alone, is like an insurance policy. His all round game is unique and a vital cog to this team. Duran is, atm, an impact sub. I don't see that changing, barring injury to Ollie, anytime soon.

6 minutes ago, 479Villan said:

We have two strikers, both of which are getting scoring opportunities. One striker is not scoring. The other one, is.

It isn't happening. Unai trusts Ollie way more than he does Duran. 

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Unai is not going to drop Ollie, he had 13 assists last season, that alone, is like an insurance policy. His all round game is unique and a vital cog to this team. Duran is, atm, an impact sub. I don't see that changing, barring injury to Ollie, anytime soon.

I tend to agree. I don’t see Emery leaving Ollie out. But I can understand the debate. Duran is still with us now and he’s performing so we need to give him enough game time to keep him happy and motivated. 

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Yeah but...that isn't forever.

If Ollie misses chances again against Everton and Wolves, he shouldn't start against Ipswich.

Duran does some fantastic things off the ball when attacking, bends his runs really well and finds spaces in the box. He is also incredibly athletic. 

Out of possession defensively he is all over the place. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yeah but...that isn't forever.

If Ollie misses chances again against Everton and Wolves, he shouldn't start against Ipswich.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. That's 180 minutes for Ollie to get back in the groove. I would put money on him doing that rather than him not.

16 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I tend to agree. I don’t see Emery leaving Ollie out. But I can understand the debate. Duran is still with us now and he’s performing so we need to give him enough game time to keep him happy and motivated. 

Which he is getting and it's proving productive. However, there's no guarantee that Duran would have the same impact if he started.

24 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

He's already being rewarded with much longer cameos than previously, and he just may end up starting cup games 

Just dropping your talisman who was literally one of the best strikers in Europe last season,

sent England into Euro finals,

voted PFA player of the season,

has been crucial to us getting to where we are

and who you know is a confidence player so early in the season...

Would be stupid from a plethora or angles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. That's 180 minutes for Ollie to get back in the groove. I would put money on him doing that rather than him not.

I think he'll start against Everton and he'll score against Everton.

Time to get going now though.

32 minutes ago, 479Villan said:

In 3 games. You’re talking like this has been a problem for months

Just now, Tomaszk said:

I think he'll start against Everton and he'll score against Everton.

Time to get going now though.

So do I. You know how it is with strikers, it will probably be courtesy of a lucky deflection off McGinn"s Arris. 

• Haha 1

Ollie touched the ball like 13 times today in 60 odd minutes.

Not good enough.

He has a fight on his hands i hope he can cope with pressure of Jhon pushing him.

Edited by AshVilla

22 minutes ago, holtend4life said:

Duran does some fantastic things off the ball when attacking, bends his runs really well and finds spaces in the box. He is also incredibly athletic. 

Out of possession defensively he is all over the place. 

Correct, he looks completely lost defensively. And given what we know about how Unai prepares for games, that suggests he still isn’t paying attention. I’m pretty sure if he would sort that side of his game out, he would be seriously pushing for a start. But as it is, it still makes more sense to start games with a more disciplined striker and let the maverick do some damage off the bench.

I do think at some point he’ll cotton on. He’s so close to being ready.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â