Jhon Durán

PieFacE

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

People said the same of Ballotelli

We cite Balotelli as a cautionary tale but tbf if Duran ends up with four league titles across the Prem and Serie A, team of the tournament in the Copa America, team of the season in the league, an FA Cup medal and a treble-winning season including the Champions League we will think he’s done ok.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

We cite Balotelli as a cautionary tale but tbf if Duran ends up with four league titles across the Prem and Serie A, team of the tournament in the Copa America, team of the season in the league, an FA Cup medal and a treble-winning season including the Champions League we will think he’s done ok.

How does an Italian get into a Copa America team?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Personally, I don't feel references to Balotelli make much sense. Super Mario's off-pitch behavior was far more extreme and consistent and extended well beyond his youthful years, and his style of play possesses more differences than similarities to Duran, IMO. I feel like we do a mild disservice to Duran as fans and set up a classic "confirmation bias" and self-fulfilling prophecy. If anything, Duran has been wildly eager to please, and I don't get the faintest sense of arrogance in him. Very different young player who deserves to be seen for himself directly and not through a weird, borrowed lens.

Being so young and talented, he's having to grow up in public. But his supposed "discipline" issues have really been pretty minor if you ask me, and I'm certain Unai has the sense to see that.

Don't get me wrong: He's got a personality that attracts attention, but I think he mostly wants to be accepted wherever he goes, sometimes despite himself?

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

How does an Italian get into a Copa America team?

Balotelli got into the Euros team of the tournament, but I thought if I said ‘Euros’ here some smartypants would say “how does a Colombian get into a Euros team?” ;)

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 2

Out of possession he either doesn't understand what he's supposed to do, or he thinks he doesn't have to.

Their goal comes from them building out to the right in some space that didn't have at all when Watkins was on. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the end of him v the top sides until he changes.

Bit of arm throwing as well. That can shove off.

I think he scores both of Watkins sitters though. He'll think that as well.

There's drama ahead with this wally.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Out of possession he either doesn't understand what he's supposed to do, or he thinks he doesn't have to.

Sometimes he doesn't do the right thing with the ball, either.

He hits the ball better than anyone else in the team but he has a lot to learn to build his overall game. Otherwise, he's another El Ghazi, whose game Duran's reminds me of a little. Someone who would have been a perfect striker 20 years ago when strikers who weren't supposed to do much besides score, but not good enough for the modern game.

3 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

As much as I love chaos this was one of those games where we needed a better, more composed striker to come on. 

We had a better more composed finisher on the pitch for an hour and he missed two absolute sitters. 

His positioning might be out for one goal but if Emery starts Duran we're 2 up at that point and it's hardly his fault alone. 

I'd start him ahead of Watkins for the next game, Watkins needs to show he's actually fully fit and not playing like it's a pre-season training session. 

26 minutes ago, skarroki said:

We had a better more composed finisher on the pitch for an hour and he missed two absolute sitters. 

His positioning might be out for one goal but if Emery starts Duran we're 2 up at that point and it's hardly his fault alone. 

I'd start him ahead of Watkins for the next game, Watkins needs to show he's actually fully fit and not playing like it's a pre-season training session. 

Ollie is not a better finisher than Duran.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Their goal comes from them building out to the right in some space that didn't have at all when Watkins was on. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the end of him v the top sides until he changes.

Bit of arm throwing as well. That can shove off.

I think he scores both of Watkins sitters though. He'll think that as well.

There's drama ahead with this wally.

This is the problem with Duran. He appears not a fan of the "work" and hasn't quite got the head yet to see it as a necessary part of the game. Hopefully it comes with time.

11 hours ago, skarroki said:

His positioning might be out for one goal but if Emery starts Duran we're 2 up at that point and it's hardly his fault alone

I suspect we're 2 or 3 down as Arsenal have gone through the middle of us several times.

It takes everyone to defend against a team like Arsenal. When their keeper has the ball, everyone has to be switched on and covering their space/man. Duran doesn't want to do this and it'll cost him his top-tier career.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â