Jhon Durán

PieFacE

9 hours ago, skarroki said:

We're not in a PSR hole and there are a lot of uncontrollable things in the next 12 months for us to end up selling Watkins for a massive fee instead of anyone else, and even then I doubt we'd be so screwed over by PSR that we'd sell our star striker and then have to use the 21 year old backup who's actively making it clear he doesn't want to be here, instead of just replacing Watkins

Come off it, of course we are. Our costs to compete with the big boys completely outstrips our revenue so unfortunately to carry on competing we have to continue to flip the squad we have.We scraped through in 23/24 by selling our very best outfield player.

If Watkins gets his 20 goals this season then at 29 years old it would represent our last opportunity to get circa £100mill for him which would certainly be reinvested to make us better throughout the squad including up top. That's just how it works.

I'm certainly not being pessimistic, I just think it's an opportunity and hope we don't sell Duran for another team to develop him instead of us.  Especially not for just £10 or £15mill profit. Look around Europe and players with his attributes are very rare and very expensive.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skarroki said:

We're not in a PSR hole and there are a lot of uncontrollable things in the next 12 months for us to end up selling Watkins for a massive fee instead of anyone else, and even then I doubt we'd be so screwed over by PSR that we'd sell our star striker and then have to use the 21 year old backup who's actively making it clear he doesn't want to be here, instead of just replacing Watkins

No we're not, but we need to bring in more money in player sales profit for 24/25 season. £30m banked profit from Duran would go a long way to closing the hole left. We also have younger players to do the June swap deals with. I think Cash and JJ are there if club has to do something in June.

Tbf to him, he is probably one of the best super subs in the league. If we’re desperate for a goal, he is one of the best.  He brings absolute chaos. 

When he plays a full 90 he isn’t as effective. 

• Like 1

If we want 30-40m this summer so we're likely to be want similar next summer, or in January and I doubt his market value will reduce at any time. If we are to move him on, and it is more likely than not, then any PSR will start to be addressed then.

4 hours ago, jamodillo said:

Come off it, of course we are. Our costs to compete with the big boys completely outstrips our revenue so unfortunately to carry on competing we have to continue to flip the squad we have.We scraped through in 23/24 by selling our very best outfield player.

If Watkins gets his 20 goals this season then at 29 years old it would represent our last opportunity to get circa £100mill for him which would certainly be reinvested to make us better throughout the squad including up top. That's just how it works.

I'm certainly not being pessimistic, I just think it's an opportunity and hope we don't sell Duran for another team to develop him instead of us.  Especially not for just £10 or £15mill profit. Look around Europe and players with his attributes are very rare and very expensive.

If we're in a PSR hole then nobody is paying £100mil for Watkins or the £80mil you said last time, we only just got £40mil for Luiz because we agreed to buy squad fodder off them in return, when he was worth way more.

Again if we do sell Watkins then there's a lot of ifs buts and maybes that lead to Duran being our main striker the season after. He was thought to be all but a West Ham player 7 days ago. 

We can keep him because he's a brilliant  striker prospect and/or because we're not getting suitable offers for him, I agree on that.

I don't agree on keeping him because we're in danger of points deductions and need to sell Watkins in 12 months and he can take over as our best player at 21.

28 minutes ago, skarroki said:

If we're in a PSR hole then nobody is paying £100mil for Watkins or the £80mil you said last time, we only just got £40mil for Luiz because we agreed to buy squad fodder off them in return, when he was worth way more.

Again if we do sell Watkins then there's a lot of ifs buts and maybes that lead to Duran being our main striker the season after. He was thought to be all but a West Ham player 7 days ago. 

We can keep him because he's a brilliant  striker prospect and/or because we're not getting suitable offers for him, I agree on that.

I don't agree on keeping him because we're in danger of points deductions and need to sell Watkins in 12 months and he can take over as our best player at 21.

There would be a bidding war for an in form striker which is a key difference but yeah I accept that we may not get that for him, it would be a starting point from us.

I'm not really suggesting that we would be in danger of points deductions I think we are too well run for that. I think the squad just needs to be repeatedly rotated, with profits claimed and then that money spread over new 5 year contracts. I think from our transfer business this year it's clear we won't play the same as last year and that would be the same next year if we had to let go of a big name again.

I'm also not suggesting pinning hope on Duran just as we didn't with pre emery Ollie who didn't occupy the same spaces and wasn't as mercurial. Just that he promises to be a key talent going forward if we can ground him and playing with the squad allows us to incrementally improve

When we rejected the West Ham offers thought the plan would be to send him on a season long loan, maybe to Italy. Chance for his value to increase even more that way but even then if we value at £40m+ the premium is with English clubs, so limited options, so still surprised we rejected those offers. 

There’s a lot been said but the club are ultra professional. They either have serious interest elsewhere (eg saudi) or they don’t really want to sell him because as a player he’s actually exactly what we need as cover for Watkins. 

Will be interesting to see if he gets any minutes later today against Dortmund.

If he isn't named in the squad, I'm guessing a move away will be in the offing.

Re the proposed West Ham transfer - I'm wondering if we've delayed it until after the first game of the season when we play them away?  

38 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Will be interesting to see if he gets any minutes later today against Dortmund.

If he isn't named in the squad, I'm guessing a move away will be in the offing.

Re the proposed West Ham transfer - I'm wondering if we've delayed it until after the first game of the season when we play them away?  

I'm more interested to see, if he plays, what shirt number he wears.. the social media meltdown if he rocks up in the #9 will be astronomical 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

I'm more interested to see, if he plays, what shirt number he wears.. the social media meltdown if he rocks up in the #9 will be astronomical 

I’m erring on the side of him not playing. 

On 09/08/2024 at 10:05, Lord Willard said:

Tbf to him, he is probably one of the best super subs in the league. If we’re desperate for a goal, he is one of the best.  He brings absolute chaos. 

When he plays a full 90 he isn’t as effective. 

Thats why i dont see a massive future for him. We dont need a 20 min man we need a 90 man - as there will be rotation this year. No chance ollie is goinv to start 38 league games all CL games and all the cup ones 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â