Mattéo Guendouzi

JayVTID

56 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Dont know what to tell you but I disagree and reading this thread, others agree plus his attitude continued at next clubs.  I watched with my own eyes and you remember how they played both on tv and live when we played them....I was never impressed and thought he was dirty.  I'm hoping beyond hope that if we get him he is successful but opinions were mixed and below is some examples and I can see on the search there are just as many media saying good things at the time but certainly mixed opinions on him and interesting at the extreme ends but I guess that's to be expected for a young player....some people will see potential and rawness and others will see the flaws...

Sure - but that's different to his reputation, which was as a big talent.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Sure - but that's different to his reputation, which was as a big talent.

So you miss the rest of the comment and just focus on my thoughts but I gave examples of media as well. As I said it was mixed opinion on his talent.

cannot believe he's only 23. Feels like he was at Arsenal 10 years ago. I always remember being impressed by him and in all honesty, I've vaguely followed his career since simply through promotional cards on Ultimate Team being released and thinking "oh he's at that club now".

He's played a hell of a lot of top flight football for someone of his age. He also has a touch of the Maupay's or Klich's, the kind of player that you absolutely hate every time you are against their team because they rattle your best players and get under the skin of the crowd. Which isn't a bad quality to have, especially off the bench when you're holding onto a lead. We can't rely solely on a 54 year old Ashley Young to be that man for us 3 times a week.

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So you miss the rest of the comment and just focus on my thoughts but I gave examples of media as well. As I said it was mixed opinion on his talent.

I didn't miss the rest of the comment, it just didn't bear much relevance.

For example, your first article is about how good Guendouzi is (which is, presumably, not what you were looking for when you posted it) and the rest is about his attitude.

Trust in Emery, this is the best way.

Re: Guendouzi, he was one of those players who you didn't enjoy playing against (even at Arsenal). Since he has improved his game judging by the statistics. I'm all for the signing of the player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Re: Guendouzi, he was one of those players who you didn't enjoy playing against (even at Arsenal). Since he has improved his game judging by the statistics. I'm all for the signing of the player.

Exactly. People are free to have some reservations, but what’s clear is that Unai knows exactly what is needed to improve us. He knows how to work with such talent. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I didn't miss the rest of the comment, it just didn't bear much relevance.

For example, your first article is about how good Guendouzi is (which is, presumably, not what you were looking for when you posted it) and the rest is about his attitude.

Did you misread it? It says he has talent but has issues with his performances and just one example I quoted.  Like any kid that plays first team football in the PL they have good and bad, they are very raw and yes you can focus on the good things or bad things, to me and a lot of articles and even some fans on here he didn’t have enough, to you and others you focused on his good stuff.  

We obviously don’t agree about his time at Arsenal or how he was viewed….I doubt we’ll agree with further conversation or if I add more quotes because you’ll probably dismiss them.  Let’s just agree that if he signs we both want him to be a success at Villa.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Did you misread it? It says he has talent but has issues with his performances and just one example I quoted.  Like any kid that plays first team football in the PL they have good and bad, they are very raw and yes you can focus on the good things or bad things, to me and a lot of articles and even some fans on here he didn’t have enough, to you and others you focused on his good stuff.  

We obviously don’t agree about his time at Arsenal or how he was viewed….I doubt we’ll agree with further conversation or if I add more quotes because you’ll probably dismiss them.  Let’s just agree that if he signs we both want him to be a success at Villa.

No, I think you might have though :D 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Completely trust in Emery, doesn’t mean I can’t be nervous on the signing.  If we didn’t voice our concerns this forum would be a ghost town 😂

Really hope this one happens.

Sure he’s passionate. However, he is the perfect age, in great form, knows the League and has successfully worked with our manager previously. He plays in a position which we are still lacking in quality, especially given the injury to McGinn. 

He could be the perfect signing? 

55 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So do I, hence why I have been more positive in some posts but I can still be nervous about buying him because unlike a lot of foreign players I have actually watched a lot of Guendouzi but it was in his Arsenal days so I have my own opinion and not just clickbait news articles.  I do trust Emery and if he thinks Guendouzi is the right player then I'll back him 100%, it doesnt mean I dont trust him but also doesnt mean I cant be nervous.

I always suspected you were a closet arsenal fan Nick. Thanks for confirming! 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Disagree. Midfield is the foundation for btoh attack and defence. And having a great midfield improves both.

Mings is more than good enough and I hope Carlos is as well. I assume we aren't interested in a CB because we have him coming back and emery wants to seem him play.

And I mean it's basically impossible to find the right wingers and strikers consistently. We just signed Duran. And we have Bailey and Buendia who are more than good enough for a top half team. We just need some rotation for them for when they are blowing cold or when they need subbing. 

But you didn't say a top half team. You said top 6. At the end of the season there will be a world of difference between the 6th placed side and the 10th placed side.

7 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

Really hope this one happens.

Sure he’s passionate. However, he is the perfect age, in great form, knows the League and has successfully worked with our manager previously. He plays in a position which we are still lacking in quality, especially given the injury to McGinn. 

He could be the perfect signing? 

The positives outweigh the negatives IMO.  

41 minutes ago, est1874 said:

But you didn't say a top half team. You said top 6. At the end of the season there will be a world of difference between the 6th placed side and the 10th placed side.

No there’s 4

2 minutes ago, AP from Marseilles said:

Nick, if I may: in Marseilles, he has no attitude problem.

The Mirror relied on a talk from Le Phocéen which is a very local media as the name suggests, pretty ambiguous toward OM as they regularly try to buzz by seeing problems nobody else sees. (E.g. beginning of the year they reported problem between newly-appointed coach Tudor and the team. Well, Tudor commands and players abide, and we're having our best time.)

Yeah, he shouted at Gerson when Gerson did not make the defensive effort - but he was right to do so at that moment. That did not become a problem later on.

In France, we often mock Deschamps because his mantra would be "le groupe vit bien" i.e. "the group gets on well" - don't know if it's a good translation but that's a sort of cliché, of set phrase to say that the ambiance is good. It means that Deschamps cares much about the team spirit and is sometimes very conservative in its choice of players, just because he doesn't want to onboard a troublemaker (see Moussa Sissoko: a good player indeed, but 71 caps ?). Well, Deschamps took Guendouzi to play a world cup, which means that Guendouzi is not a troublemaker, not even a potential one, in his mind.

I'd rely on Deschamps more than on Le Phocéen. (But to be honest I'm an absolute Deschamps' fan!)

Thanks AP, certainly good to know.  Any updates in France about the deal today given the foot mercato article yesterday?

Edited by nick76

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â