Weekends Football 6/7 January

andykeenan

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Why are they always shit? Seriously. Billions. Killing it in the league. Feel good factor. Pumped by a league 1 side.

Just Newcastle all over for about 70 years

Because in reality they are a team of 3 or 4 quality players and the rest are just riding the confidence and momentum and playing above their level

Remove the quality, the confidence then dips even slightly and they aren't the 2nd best team in the country

They aren't as bad as Steve Bruce had them (who is...) but they aren't as good as their league position suggests either

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

If Newcastle lose, do we think it will have the effect of knocking their confidence, and bringing their performance levels back down to normal levels? Or will it mean they get to focus solely on the league and genuinely push for the title?

The title? Are you being serious?

They are a bang average side that will do well to finish within 25 points of the winners. 

Next season they will be stronger and eventually they will win everything but the title this season? Not a hope in hell.

I do think their confidence will take a hit tho, and they will slip into the Europa places in no time.

3 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

The title? Are you being serious?

They are a bang average side that will do well to finish within 25 points of the winners. 

Next season they will be stronger and eventually they will win everything but the title this season? Not a hope in hell.

I do think their confidence will take a hit tho, and they will slip into the Europa places in no time.

I think the pile in here has been harsh. They beat the brakes off us earlier in the season. Regardless of their style of football, they are having a great season. 

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Because in reality they are a team of 3 or 4 quality players and the rest are just riding the confidence and momentum and playing above their level

Remove the quality, the confidence then dips even slightly and they aren't the 2nd best team in the country

They aren't as bad as Steve Bruce had them (who is...) but they aren't as good as their league position suggests either

So many players for them tonight who I thought had left...Jamal Lewis, Javi Manquillo, Matt Ritchie etc. I assume Targett is injured as bit odd to play Jamal Lewis unless it was just a shop window game.

They'll drop down the league if they get a few injuries at the back.

Edited by VillaChris

7 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I think the pile in here has been harsh. They beat the brakes off us earlier in the season. Regardless of their style of football, they are having a great season. 

We had no manager at the time and lost our keeper to concussion before they ran away with the game. 

That offside rule has to change.

Is the defender supposed to know whether the forward is offside or not?

Presumably they're not, and hence how can they be punished for trying to stop the ball from reaching the offside forward, that they can't risk leaving the ball for because they might be onside.

• Like 2

Just now, VillaChris said:

Interpretation of offside is a joke for stuff like that Salah goal just now.

Yes, offside when his team mate played the ball forward but because it then deflected off a defender he was deemed onside… doubt we’d have got away with that

Just now, theboyangel said:

Yes, offside when his team mate played the ball forward but because it then deflected off a defender he was deemed onside… doubt we’d have got away with that

It wasn't deflected. It was a conscious attempt to play the ball. If it was a deflection he'd have been offside. I still don't think the rule is right, but it was correctly interpreted in this instance.  It's bollocks 

Just now, VillaChris said:

Interpretation of offside is a joke for stuff like that Salah goal just now.

Totally.... If Salah isn't there the defender doesn't need to head it.

Maybe if we had some in line with the last man with say a flag to indicate of an attacker is offside or not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It wasn't deflected. It was a conscious attempt to play the ball. If it was a deflection he'd have been offside. I still don't think the rule is right, but it was correctly interpreted in this instance.  It's bollocks 

It is bollocks because the player playing the pass isn't just trying to lump it into the box - he's attempting to pass the ball to an offside player. 

If Salah isn't stood in an offside position, the ball doesn't get played at all. And, if it is just lumped into a zone, defenders shouldn't have to defend against offside players.

• Like 2

Â