Midweek Football 2:5 January

andykeenan

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

They seem to really struggle to break down a deep defence these days, and look incredibly vulnerable to pace on the counter.

Emery probably got that one wrong, although I understand why he did it.

I’m a bit confused by what’s happened to them. Is it just failing to replace Mane, or is there more to it? Van Dijk looked poor, Trent was useless.

Its a mixture of many things. They were always in win now mode as Klopp signed a few 26/27 year old players and they havent really refreshed the squad since and was always going to be an issue. Also Klopp at Dortmund struggled rebuilding a top team and he is in the same boat again by the looks of it

I think they always lacked a true playmaker to break down teams when needed actually most the midfielders they play are workmanlike

Edited by Zatman

17 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

They seem to really struggle to break down a deep defence these days, and look incredibly vulnerable to pace on the counter.

Emery probably got that one wrong, although I understand why he did it.

I’m a bit confused by what’s happened to them. Is it just failing to replace Mane, or is there more to it? Van Dijk looked poor, Trent was useless.

Getting bored of Klopp. I mean they don't last forever these days.

Also Mane was a grafter, 100% every game, made all the other players have to work hard, now he's not there, they play at a slower pace.

Liverpool had that coming, they were somewhat fortunate to beat us, at least in the sense that we should have buried one or two more of our chances at least and they were poor again against Leicester in midweek relying on two own goals for the win.

Sadly it seems the stars are aligning for Newcastle somewhat like they did for Leicester when they won the league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

It’s a public holiday isn’t it? The earlier kickoff is better for travelling fans at least. 

True, was a work day for me though so didn't even think about that 😅

11 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Sadly it seems the stars are aligning for Newcastle somewhat like they did for Leicester when they won the league.

This season? Arsenal 9pts ahead of them with a game in hand

I actually think the difference was TAA's absolutely magic ball that created a goal from nothing in the first 5 minutes.

Then VVD scored a deflected shot that was going wide, and we got caught on the break for the third. There wasn't really a lot in the match 

I'm pretty sure if we hadn't been undone by that wonderful pass we would have won the game. It was a mentality switcher. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Its a mixture of many things. They were always in win now mode as Klopp signed a few 26/27 year old players and they havent really refreshed the squad since and was always going to be an issue. Also Klopp at Dortmund struggled rebuilding a top team and he is in the same boat again by the looks of it

I think they always lacked a true playmaker to break down teams when needed actually most the midfielders they play are workmanlike

Thiago is the exception regarding a play maker. They have a number of injuries up front but there's no excuse for the way they defended. 

It's only last season they nearly won the quadruple but I think they will be lucky to make top 4 but there again chesea and spurs are poor too

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Cruel on QPR to concede equalizer in injury time of injury time, referee should have already blown for full-time. Iroegbunam had another good game.

i watched the last half hour, cant believe they conceded like that, soul crushing that.....

Tell you what though, its a blast from the past watching how agricultural the championship is, some really ropey football on show also, but tbf there was some good stuff also.

did Timmy play well for the first 60?, i didnt think he did much at all in the last half hour.

He played well, didn't stand out as much as he did in earlier games when he was playing as more of a 'eight', but did a solid job with a few standout moments. First half he was going on more of his trademark forward runs with the ball, but less so second half, I guess as QPR trying to hang on to their lead, he definitely faded towards the end, he and QPR seem to play better when Willock is on the pitch.

Â