VillaTalk Deadpool 2023

Xela

8 hours ago, theunderstudy said:

Jimmy Buffett, 76. Genuinely thought he'd gone years ago

Somehow 76 doesn't seem that old anymore. 

I think Jimmy lived hard on the road for many years and it caught up to him. 

I was never a fan, but I respect musicians that defy labels and have longevity despite no significant radio  airplay.

I suspect @leviramsey is drinking margaritas tonight..

• Like 1

Arleen Sorkin died last week, 67.

Not a huge figure in the cinema/TV industry, she was extremely beloved in the comic book media fandom world as the voice of (and inspiration for, entirely) the character of Harley Quinn.

Harley Quinn was created for the acclaimed 90s Batman animated series, the character being inspired by Sorkin due to her friendship with the series co-creator Paul Dini - Dini based the character on her personality, made the character Jewish to reflect Sorkin's background, her jester style costume was inspired by her playing a jester in a TV role, her voice was Sorkin's own turned up a notch... She voiced the character for nearly 20 years across various series, animated films and games, and became iconic in the role to the extent everyone that plays the character basically does an impression of what Sorkin did.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Alcohol abuse leading to liver failure apparently.

He had a lot of booze related problems it seems. He retired seemingly because of chronic illnesses related to severe alcohol abuse.

Not someone who was going to live to a grand old age.

• Like 1

When she was a toddler, my daughter had a pretend radio/music player. Press a red button and various little instrumental tunes play. 

All Star was one of those tunes. Which, perhaps later than it should have been, made me realise how much of life that song has had. Kinda surprises me because I don’t remember it being that much bigger at the time than say, I don’t know, whatever Sum 41 were churning out.

To me it just seemed like, Ok this on par with Steal My Sunshine by Len, or Every Morning by Sugar Ray. Those sort of songs.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

To me it just seemed like, Ok this on par with Steal My Sunshine by Len, or Every Morning by Sugar Ray. Those sort of songs.

Funnily enough I would mentally put those three songs in a very similar bracket too.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Funnily enough I would mentally put those three songs in a very similar bracket too.  

My Own Worst Enemy by Lit would be another song of that ilk. Sort of throwaway US punk pop.

It’s possible that I’ve simply heard these on various American Pie type soundtracks, hence me associating them together. 

• Like 1