VillaTalk Deadpool 2023

Xela

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Aah, T S McPhee is a sad one. Great guitarist. I shall play the 'Split' album later. 

Great LP. The rock band I played in only did one Ground Hogs number - "Cherry Red".Good number, good guitarist I thought. RIP

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sne said:

Wrestler Hossein Khosrow Ali Vaziri or The Iron Sheik 81

Lots or wrestler going 

The Iron Sheik

Impossible. 

IRON SHEIK **** DEATH!

• Like 1

Kaczynski is one of the more fascinating stories in the world is serial criminals.

Intellectually brilliant, socially batshit, he spent the better part of 20yrs living in a glorified shed in Montana writing a manifesto railing against the influence of technology on society and arguing that humanity must return to a more simple society or lose itself, whilst mailing out bombs using hand made wooden containers with anonymised components and misdirective clues, ultimately killing 3 people and maiming dozens. He eventually contacted publications to get his manifesto published, which proved to be his downfall as his turn of phrase 'you can't eat your cake and have it too' got spotted by his brother and lead to him getting caught at his cabin.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Intellectually brilliant, socially batshit, he spent the better part of 20yrs living in a glorified shed in Montana writing a manifesto railing against the influence of technology on society and arguing that humanity must return to a more simple society or lose itself

He was/is kinda right. (The bomb thing I can't really get on board with though.)

I'm still in shock I was the post to post someone's death on VT.

12 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

He was/is kinda right. (The bomb thing I can't really get on board with though.)

I'm still in shock I was the post to post someone's death on VT.

There's elements of it that are arguably prescient, but there's also loads of it that basically boil down to him being a bit socially deficient and blaming the world for his not 'getting' it.

It says a lot that someone like Breivik could take his manifesto and do a search replace for certain key words and add their own favourite hate subjects and have their own manifesto...

Edited by Chindie
  • Sad 1

That whole period of home grown U.S. internal terrorism fascinates me. The UnaBomber, The Weather Underground, Symbionese Liberation Army, The United Freedom Front. 

It’s a rabbit hole I read around every now and again.

• Like 1

Supposedly Kaczynski was miffed when Oklahoma City happened which in part lead to his rush to get the manifesto published. But then apparently he became good friends with McVeigh.

Incidentally if you really want to go down the rabbit hole - McVeigh and his background, who he was tied up with, and how much everyone knew about it (and the worrying fact he almost certainly did not work alone at any point).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Godfather to the populist party politics that we are currently enduring. Should have stuck to the showbiz and football ownership career. 

He was pretty awful in showbiz and football too tbh, but yes, glad to see the back of him. A bad human being.

6 hours ago, sne said:

Actor Treat Williams 71. Motorcycle accident.

An SUV signalled and turned left across his lane. Didn't see him.

Kaczynski apparently killed himself, which is good going in a high security prison medical centre when he was very late into late stage cancer.

That's gonna be one of those where someone should probably be asking some very pointed questions about how a very dangerous and very ill man being held in a medical centre of a prison for very dangerous felons managed to kill himself in his cell.

8 hours ago, sne said:

Actor Treat Williams 71. Motorcycle accident.

Born and died in New England. Never stayed away too long either. Very sad news. Never quite broke through to the superstar level, but easily could have with the right role. Ultimately that wasn't really important to him, and he had a really solid career nonetheless, and was still working. So long, Treat.

• Like 2

On 01/01/2023 at 18:44, BOF said:

I'm also going to take out David Attenborough cuz I don't like him in my list and stick in Engelbert Humperdinck.

So as it stands :

Engelbert Humperdinck
Christy Dignam
Johnnie Irwin
Rhod Gilbert
Charlie Bird

I take no pleasure in saying Christy Dignam has just passed away.

59 minutes ago, BOF said:

I take no pleasure in saying Christy Dignam has just passed away.

I must do another spreadsheet trawl at the weekend I think, its probably about time

On 31/12/2022 at 11:49, cyrusr said:

0 points last year. Going to change a little and make it a pseudo wish list: - 

Donald Trump

Boris Johnson

Nigel Farage

Vladimir Putin

Piers Morgan

Sadly I think only 1 of those is a real possibility but the world would be a far better place without these lot :) 

Still on zero, but hoping for Trump to be remanded in custody today and for the CCTV to suddenly stop working.... need to get some points on the board!

• Haha 1