VillaTalk Deadpool 2023

Xela

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Because they don't get it so resort to the most schoolyard and cliched of pisstaking

I'm sure I'm missing some key subliminal messages and the whole thing is going totally over my limited understanding but all I see is a bunch of oiled up blokes wearing budgy smugglers pretending to have a fight. 

You are damn right I don't get it. 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm sure I'm missing some key subliminal messages and the whole thing is going totally over my limited understanding but all I see is a bunch of oiled up blokes wearing budgy smugglers pretending to have a fight. 

You are damn right I don't get it. 

It’s Coronation Street for men*.

(* - obviously both are for everybody but there’s nothing catchy as a “catch all” so I’m going for this sexist number. Thanks!)

• Haha 1

I'm not a big wrestling fan but given I'm interested in a bunch of things that run tangential to it I pick up a load by osmosis. The appeal is basically the mix of soap opera style storylines combined with theatre and acrobatics. Slap that onto it's own little world where those 'in the know' literally have an inside understanding of the game and it's got that cult fandom thing down to a tee.

And of course it helps that literally everyone involved in the thing is a larger than life personality with varying levels of personal issues and drama that is unrelated to the job persona, which in turn leads to it generating it's own scandals, news etc. And hence why so many of them end up in these threads - decades of personal strife and pushing physicality to the limit all the time means they all end up dying tragically. Sometimes they even go totally nuts like Benoit. It's an interesting world.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I realised recently, I collect postcards, I no longer have the cultural high ground over people that like wrestling.

People who collect postcards, lived at home with their mother until their mother sadly passed away and they now live in the same house surrounded by every copy of the print edition of the Daily Mail from the last 20 years :D 

27 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I realised recently, I collect postcards, I no longer have the cultural high ground over people that like wrestling.

I feel a bit of a dick saying it but I find anyone outside America liking country music utterly baffling.  It takes all sorts to make a world though, I used to love wrestling in the early 00s when I was late teens and early twenties.  I never felt it transfered well when TV went HD, like you needed slightly grainy picture and smokey arenas to make it less obviously 'fake'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I feel a bit of a dick saying it but I find anyone outside America liking country music utterly baffling.  It takes all sorts to make a world though, I used to love wrestling in the early 00s when I was late teens and early twenties.  I never felt it transfered well when TV went HD, like you needed slightly grainy picture and smokey arenas to make it less obviously 'fake'.

I see it as completely normal but years ago I was a bit of a rarity. A non pensioner that effectively didn’t dress like a cowboy really into the schmaltziest of country music. 

• Like 1

Recognised the name. Had to Mooney, then realised I shouldn’t have needed to Mooney as I’ve seen and enjoyed several of the films he was in.

Incidentally, I had no idea that one of his fellow Dirty Dozen pals is from Birmingham (Colin Maitland, No.7, still going at 80).

14 hours ago, Tegis said:

Thats a big one over there :(

Yeah can imagine that's a huge one in America let alone the NFL

People should watch one night in miami, the opening jim brown scene is pretty mind blowingly racist and I think is taken from his book so it's a true event

15 hours ago, sne said:

Jim Brown. American football great and actor. 87

From reading his Wikipedia page he could well qualify for the fallen angel thread. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Pete Brown, 82. Performance poet and lyricist. Co-wrote many of Cream's best known songs with Jack Bruce. 

Was lucky to see him with "Battered Ornaments". Did a great version of "Politician". IIRC he kooked a bit like Frank Zappa !

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, veloman said:

Was lucky to see him with "Battered Ornaments". Did a great version of "Politician". IIRC he kooked a bit like Frank Zappa !

• Like 1