VillaTalk Deadpool 2023

Xela

38 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Just discovered Rushton “Rocky” Pamplin died last December aged 73.

Anyone who knows their Beach Boys history will not be upset in the slightest, in fact it cheered me up immensely.

Just need that other massive word removed Stan Love to turn up his toes now :hooray:

I dont wish death on anyone, we all have to die but Stan and Rocky, if it was premature, then that would be great. 

• Like 1

Jazz pianist Ahmad Jamal, age 92.  He wasn't as well known as some, and I don't know his music very well but did see him in a club, in the 80's in Seattle, if I recall.   He was excellent.  There are very few of the jazz legends still alive, sadly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Jazz pianist Ahmad Jamal, age 92.  He wasn't as well known as some, and I don't know his music very well but did see him in a club, in the 80's in Seattle, if I recall.   He was excellent.  There are very few of the jazz legends still alive, sadly.

Sonny Rollins is 92. Worth a punt in next year's deadpool if he makes it through 2023. 

• Like 1

On 17/04/2023 at 10:26, The Fun Factory said:

This got me on a tangent and looked like the stalled bloodhound project. I looked on Wikipedia and it's stated that Andy Green died on the 15th of April? Haven't seen it elsewhere. 

Doesn't look like it, and that wiki page has since been edited.

• Like 1

Holy F*** No! 
I'm incredibly sad at that news.

Mark Stewart was a true maverick, he followed his own path and underneath it all he was such a nice man

From The Pop Group, through New Age Steppers to his work with the Maffia, I was always a fan

I met him quite a few times, I even put On-U Sound System Shows on with him and Gary Clail. I turned up unannounced at other gigs and he'd let me in

Lots of what he had to say in the 80s is as true today as it was then. The Album As the Veneer of Democracy Starts to Fade and it’s message is as true today as it ever was

An absolute legend of the Bristol scene, he also worked with Massive Attack, Tricky and many other Bristol acts

He was so influential, from Nick Cave to the US Industrialists like Nine Inch Nails, many cited him as an influence

He was also back in the On-U fold, there's supposedly a new album out there, I only hope it was semi-finished so AMS can complete it

Good-bye to a true visionary. One thing he was wrong about, I don’t think he did have his price, he just did what the hell he wanted, when he wanted. I remember Gary Clail telling me that Mark just went in holiday once and ended up living with some Gypsies in Spain for 6 months and then just showed up on his doorstep one night full of new ideas
Here with stolen Eric Satie…

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, choffer said:

I'm genuinely saddened by this and a bit of a shock after he sent out a message earlier on in the week to say he is fine.  He seemed a lovely man and his skits as Dame Edna and Sir Les Patterson were brilliant.  Rest in peace, Barry!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, trekka said:

I'm genuinely saddened by this and a bit of a shock after he sent out a message earlier on in the week to say he is fine.  He seemed a lovely man and his skits as Dame Edna and Sir Les Patterson were brilliant.  Rest in peace, Barry!

Same. I only saw him last year doing his career retrospective. A genuinely funny man. 

9 hours ago, choffer said:

How very sad. One of the smartest, quickest, funniest people. I never paid any attention to him when he toured regularly and never saw him live, sadly. Big regret. Big loss!

36 minutes ago, maqroll said:

How very sad. One of the smartest, quickest, funniest people. I never paid any attention to him when he toured regularly and never saw him live, sadly. Big regret. Big loss!

Wasn't sure if he was even known in the US. 

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I seem to remember Joan Rivers was a big advocate of Dame Edna and had her on her US show fairly frequently. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

He was on late night shows and did at least one tour here as Dame Edna. A hard character to miss! 

• Like 1