VillaTalk Deadpool 2023

Xela

23 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Craig Breedlove, 86.

Set land speed records in 1963 and 65. 

The Beach Boys recorded a song about the first instance and named it after his vehicle, "Spirit of America". 

Which was basically a jet fighter fuselage on wheels. Mad. My best mate at primary school had an older brother who was obsessed with that whole California surf and hot rod culture, and introduced me to the Beach Boys' music. 

spirit-of-america.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

was pretty scary for me as well just reading about it 

I think @Xela has since beaten that record to be fair. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Al Jaffee, cartoonist for Mad Magazine, 102 years old.   For those of us of a certain age range in the US, Mad and Al Jaffee were a big part of childhood.

The back cover fold-ins were classic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

Al Jaffee, cartoonist for Mad Magazine, 102 years old.   For those of us of a certain age range in the US, Mad and Al Jaffee were a big part of childhood.

The back cover fold-ins were classic.

Very much this. 

On 11/04/2023 at 09:10, HKP90 said:

Glad I'm not the only person who saw that film. Love it. Stuart Wilson plays a great baddie.

It’s a cracking film, and it’s never on anymore, not on any of the streaming platforms, never on TV/sky……..it’s weird.

One of those films that’s good but bizarrely never broadcast which makes me think there must have been something in it that doesn’t sit right culturally these days or something…….

• Like 1

Anyone remember this interior for the mini?

rs=w:1280

Mary Quant designed that and coming full circle because she named her mini skirt creation after her favourite car, she then went on much later to design the interior of the mini

• Like 2

On 10/04/2023 at 16:56, Seat68 said:

The actor Michael Lerner has died. I know him from the film Anguish but apparently he was in Elf. 

So we paid him that 10m bonus for staying in the prem and he never got the chance to spend it.

What a waste RIP

Edited by AshVilla
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

That is a bold claim to make and surely up for debate.

Haha I wondered if that might provoke a comment. 

Not that it’s the definitive yardstick for these things, but IMDb backs up my claim by a reasonable margin. 

Truth of the matter is, having rewatched all of them during lockdown with more of a critical eye, even the good episodes you have to suspend your disbelief, things don’t quite stand up to scrutiny. That episode included. But entertaining nonetheless. 

It’s the excellent use of Rik Mayall in it that puts it above the others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Haha I wondered if that might provoke a comment. 

Not that it’s the definitive yardstick for these things, but IMDb backs up my claim by a reasonable margin. 

Truth of the matter is, having rewatched all of them during lockdown with more of a critical eye, even the good episodes you have to suspend your disbelief, things don’t quite stand up to scrutiny. That episode included. But entertaining nonetheless. 

It’s the excellent use of Rik Mayall in it that puts it above the others.

I've watched a few relatively recently and you're right about how they hold up. They're still good but not what I'd remembered. 

Rik Mayall does elevate anything he was in.

On 11/04/2023 at 09:25, mjmooney said:

Which was basically a jet fighter fuselage on wheels. Mad. My best mate at primary school had an older brother who was obsessed with that whole California surf and hot rod culture, and introduced me to the Beach Boys' music. 

spirit-of-america.jpg

This got me on a tangent and looked like the stalled bloodhound project. I looked on Wikipedia and it's stated that Andy Green died on the 15th of April? Haven't seen it elsewhere. 

Just discovered Rushton “Rocky” Pamplin died last December aged 73.

Anyone who knows their Beach Boys history will not be upset in the slightest, in fact it cheered me up immensely.

Just need that other massive word removed Stan Love to turn up his toes now :hooray:

• Like 1