Formula One - 2023

BOF

On 23/07/2023 at 16:15, Genie said:

The cars are just so good now, the drivers rarely make mistakes and they very rarely break down. A couple of the variables that used to make it interesting (along with refuelling). Even punctures are almost nonexistent.

There’s no wheel to wheel racing as it’s wasted energy. The drivers just wait for the DRS straights and hit the boost button.

Many of the new tracks are shit for racing. 

There’s a lot to fix if they want to make it exciting.

Bring back gravel traps and get rid of DRS. 2 very simple tweaks there IMHO.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

Bring back gravel traps and get rid of DRS. 2 very simple tweaks there IMHO.

They won’t do it, but i’d love to see 1 shot qualifying. Names out of a hat to get the order then 1 flying lap qualifier. It should mix the grid a bit and make it interesting.

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

They won’t do it, but i’d love to see 1 shot qualifying. Names out of a hat to get the order then 1 flying lap qualifier. It should mix the grid a bit and make it interesting.

Only thing I would say about that is changeable weather could make it a farce. Going out early in sunshine versus going out later in drizzle. The big boys wouldn't go for it because it makes them vulnerable.

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

Only thing I would say about that is changeable weather could make it a farce. Going out early in sunshine versus going out later in drizzle. The big boys wouldn't go for it because it makes them vulnerable.

Yeah I agree. It would be great for the viewers but risky for the major teams.

Could DRS work as a limited "overtake button" that drivers can choose to deploy whenever they want on, say, a max. of 10 times a race or similar?

I'm sure they must have looked at this option and discounted it, but I think it could be interesting to see it trialled.

5 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Could DRS work as a limited "overtake button" that drivers can choose to deploy whenever they want on, say, a max. of 10 times a race or similar?

I'm sure they must have looked at this option and discounted it, but I think it could be interesting to see it trialled.

But they've just undertaken an almost decade long design rules overhaul specifically so the cars can run closer together so that they don't need DRS. To continue with DRS in any form, IMO, is to admit they wasted 10 years and/or failed in their remit. Overtaking has become almost automatic these days. The dice used to be a key skill. Defending and setting someone up for the overtake. We've a generation of racers now who don't know how to overtake properly because the car effectively does it for them.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BOF said:

But they've just undertaken an almost decade long design rules overhaul specifically so the cars can run closer together so that they don't need DRS. To continue with DRS in any form, IMO, is to admit they wasted 10 years and/or failed in their remit. Overtaking has become almost automatic these days. The dice used to be a key skill. Defending and setting someone up for the overtake. We've a generation of racers now who don't know how to overtake properly because the car effectively does it for them.

True, it would be my preferred solution to get rid entirely, but I'm not convinced the new regs have worked well enough to do away with DRS entirely just yet. Part of that imo is just that the cars are so enormous these days. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Agreed. And as I’ve said before, DRS actually discourages overtaking, because why would you try a dive down the inside on turn 10 when you’ve got a massive straight with an automatic overtake on it in 20 seconds time?

It’s shit. Gone are the days of “catching is one thing but overtaking is another!”

Now it’s almost always an automatic overtake as soon as someone is caught. 

It’s no coincidence cars like red bulls stroll to podium finishes even when they qualify outside the top 10. It’s a piece of piss

You used to have to properly overtake back markers. No blue flags :lol: Olivier Grouillard was a notorious rocket polisher back marker.

I seriously think F1 it's a bit lost now, not sure how they are going to get the excitement back. Cars are too easy to drive, rarely a mechanical issue, no jeopardy with tyres, hardly any engine noise, can't even set fire to the driver with a dodgy fuel stop anymore.  Best car wins every time, bring back the filthy manual 1.3 engines with huge turbos, now that was racing.

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well, he's got his ice cream in his second-a-lap-faster car - hopefully now they'll give him some warm milk and there'll be no more crying before his bedtime.

Nice strong cup of stool softener coffee before tomorrow's race would shake things up.

• Like 1

Honestly didn't even know they have a 3 part qualy session for the sprint race. That's how much I love the sprint race. Jesus they really do milk that little bastard don't they.

• Like 1