Oasis: This is their thread

useless

27 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

That's it, i'ts time ot nuke America

Hard to quantify how awful that was 🙄 The woman playing Liam, Sarah Sherman, is quite funny, in my opinion, but that was just embarrassing. James Austin Johnson, the guy playing Noel, is mostly known for his Trump impression. The show’s been generally bad for a long while but this was next level bad

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

That's it, i'ts time ot nuke America

I can’t watch beyond the first 30 seconds. There was a mention for this on the radio earlier as the worst comedy sketch on SNL ever. 

I can’t quite work out who/what Oasis are to the US.

By that I mean, whatever they are to an American audience, who is the equivalent band to a UK audience.

Oasis aren’t as big a deal there as they are here. That’s easy enough. But I think they’re more than just Wonderwall and a couple of top ten albums, because if they were just that, I can’t think of a band who would provoke a comparable “comedy” sketch/cultural reference point to a UK tv watching audience who presumably are expected to get the jokes.

I suspect the answer is that comparing the US market to the UK market is a bit apples and oranges. But still, my perception of Oasis’ standing in the US market is kinda opaque to me.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

By that I mean, whatever they are to an American audience, who is the equivalent band to a UK audience.

Oasis aren’t as big a deal there as they are here. That’s easy enough. But I think they’re more than just Wonderwall and a couple of top ten albums, because if they were just that, I can’t think of a band who would provoke a comparable “comedy” sketch/cultural reference point to a UK tv watching audience who presumably are expected to get the jokes.

I suspect the answer is that comparing the US market to the UK market is a bit apples and oranges. But still, my perception of Oasis’ standing in the US market is kinda opaque to me.

North America, maybe Shania Twain. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Ramones.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

They were huge when Morning Glory came out. For a few years after that MTV and regular scandal from the brothers kept their name in the media. But now? That ship has long sailed. Imagine there’s still a lot of people my age (almost 59) who like them still or are nostalgic for that place in time. I don’t see a lot of younger people being fans but imagine the tour has enough hype as “an event/happening” that a decent amount of people (with disposable $) who don’t even know them will still go. You get social media telling people this is a must-see thing, they’ll go to anything. FOMO, innit? 

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

They were huge when Morning Glory came out. For a few years after that MTV and regular scandal from the brothers kept their name in the media. But now? That ship has long sailed. Imagine there’s still a lot of people my age (almost 59) who like them still or are nostalgic for that place in time. I don’t see a lot of younger people being fans but imagine the tour has enough hype as “an event/happening” that a decent amount of people (with disposable $) who don’t even know them will still go. You get social media telling people this is a must-see thing, they’ll go to anything. FOMO, innit? 

There are a lot of massive US bands and artists that namecheck Oasis from the Foo Fighters to Kendrick Lamar, it may be that younger people have got into them in a similar way to how Oasis got people into other bands by pretty openly stating their influences.  These cities in the US are obviously huge as well so as you say, the hype will be enough to sell the stadiums but it is nuts when they didn't really play anything larger than MSG back in the day.

11 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

There are a lot of massive US bands and artists that namecheck Oasis from the Foo Fighters to Kendrick Lamar, it may be that younger people have got into them in a similar way to how Oasis got people into other bands by pretty openly stating their influences.  These cities in the US are obviously huge as well so as you say, the hype will be enough to sell the stadiums but it is nuts when they didn't really play anything larger than MSG back in the day.

Limiting their visit here to just a few shows is probably pretty wise. With so few shows it’s retains the “event/happening” vibe I mentioned previously. If they were mounting a traditional coast to coast tour, with at least 25-30 shows scattered all around the land, I doubt they’d do all that great out in the hinterlands 

the yanks don't have the same LAD culture as us, that's a big part of Oasis' longevity and remaining popularity here, the lads in their mid 20s going down the pub at the weekend in their favourite coat, drinking fosters, doing a cheeky line while oasis are on the jukebox

they are ingrained here in a way that they're not over there in a pub scene for men that also doesn't exist over there 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â