Oasis: This is their thread

useless

1 minute ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Had to Google Toploader, never heard of them. Extremely impressed and quite blown away by their debut album, Onka's Big Moka, being named after a classic ethnographic film. Saw it so many times as an anthro student and later used it when I was teaching anthropology 

Dancing in the Moonlight was a massive hit here. 

10 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Cover of the King Harvest classic or their own original? 

A cover. It was played an awful lot at the time.

I’d never heard the King Harvest original. 

When I hear the title “Dancing in the Moonlight” I think “Thin Lizzy”.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

A cover. It was played an awful lot at the time.

I’d never heard the King Harvest original. 

When I hear the title “Dancing in the Moonlight” I think “Thin Lizzy”.

Big hit here in 72

And of course King Harvest took their name from a song by The Band 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Toploader should always be an example of how shit 90s music could get. See also Hard Fi and thats before I state the most obvious one. 

Hmmm while Toploader’s debut album was released in November 1999, I feel they did their damage subsequent to then. So I’d consider them an early noughties band, personally.

Hard Fi are mid noughties, through and through. No arguments on technicalities.

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

Hmmm while Toploader’s debut album was released in November 1999, I feel they did their damage subsequent to then. So I’d consider them an early noughties band, personally.

Hard Fi are mid noughties, through and through. No arguments on technicalities.

Yeah I accept that. Considering I had the misfortune of seeing them both in the 2000s I was completely wrong with my decades. 

Sounding like Andy Bell and Zak Starkey are completing the line up.

Given his association with Oasis, Beady Eye and Noel’s HFB, I thought it might have been Chris Sharrock on drums. Zak’s on the last couple of albums so probably has more of a claim in that regard.

With Gem and Bonehead involved, it’s about as authentic a line up as could be expected.

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Given his association with Oasis, Beady Eye and Noel’s HFB, I thought it might have been Chris Sharrock on drums. Zak’s on the last couple of albums so probably has more of a claim in that regard.

With Gem and Bonehead involved, it’s about as authentic a line up as could be expected.

That is actually quite a shock

Maybe Sharrock can join McNabb and Layhe to complete the original line up of The Icicle Works :D 

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The only thing that confuses me about the line up is that we have Noel, Bonehead and Gem, 3 guitarists? will Bonehead and Gem swap out depending on the song do we think?

35 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

The only thing that confuses me about the line up is that we have Noel, Bonehead and Gem, 3 guitarists? will Bonehead and Gem swap out depending on the song do we think?

Short answer is I don’t know either.

My guess is either Bonehead will be a guest role on a few songs for most of, if not every gig, or they’ll just have three guitarists. I’ve just read a bit with Noel from a few months ago where he was saying he felt he was more leaning towards rhythm guitar these days. So maybe Gem might act more as the lead, with a few exceptions remaining with Noel (solo on Live Forever, for example).

26 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Short answer is I don’t know either.

My guess is either Bonehead will be a guest role on a few songs for most of, if not every gig, or they’ll just have three guitarists. I’ve just read a bit with Noel from a few months ago where he was saying he felt he was more leaning towards rhythm guitar these days. So maybe Gem might act more as the lead, with a few exceptions remaining with Noel (solo on Live Forever, for example).

pretty much the same as the Liam gigs then, he tends to wheel him out half way through when the 2nd wave of oasis songs start

• Like 1

I see Noel sold some of his classic guitars yesterday. A bit of pocket money to keep him going over £200k. All of them used prior to success. Two of them were Epiphones, they went for the most and the actual Gibson Flying V (also previously owned by Johnny Marr) went for the least.

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

How much are Ticketmaster taking from every ticket sold?

Define Ticketmaster?

They'll be taking their cut for administering the ticket sales (and all those other stupid add ons they'll be sticking in there, like digital ticket fee which is always amusing) but don't forget they are owned by Live Nation and Live Nation are the joint promoters so overall.... absolute shitloads

And yes, the Ticketmaster / Live Nation thing absolutely should be looked into by the MMC

See back i the day, you used to pay a booking fee on tickets, that was the box office or record shops fee for selling the ticket. Say a ticket was somewhere between £5 and £10 the booking fee was usually 50p, totally up front and no-one minded because they understood it was minor and the facility to sell tickets had to be paid for. Record shops would often do it because in brought people into the shop and they might walk out with a ticket and a record.

These days the ticket agents are the promoters, the fees are exorbitant in themselves and its just a rip off

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â