Oasis: This is their thread

useless

can't really blame them at 15-20mil or so per show, no idea how they would even begin to do what they are suggesting with a ballot process, just use a different email address and there you go, an unsucessful first time round account..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

can't really blame them at 15-20mil or so per show, no idea how they would even begin to do what they are suggesting with a ballot process, just use a different email address and there you go, an unsucessful first time round account..

Maybe they will email people who initially entered the ballot and weren't successful. They'll be able to cross reference email addresses maybe?

Do we know how many were selected in the initial ballot?

I’ve got a screen shot of my failed purchase where the tickets were in the basket but Ticketmaster kept reporting connection errors … I think that entitles me to an entry 😁

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I’ve got a screen shot of my failed purchase where the tickets were in the basket but Ticketmaster kept reporting connection errors … I think that entitles me to an entry 😁

You and about 10 million others.  Scary that two more nights at Wembley won't even put a dent in the demand for tickets.  Short of releasing new music I'm not sure what more they can do, Liam's voice can't withstand months of touring.

Out of bored curiosity I had a little look to see the most streamed songs on Spotify and how they stack up with what I think is traditionally the more loved songs. 

Wonderwall 2 billion streams (approx.)

Don’t Look Back in Anger 915m

Champagne Supernova 413m

Stop Crying Your Heart Out 367m

Live Forever 277m

Stand By Me 259m

Supersonic 177m

She’s Electric 145m

Half the World Away 136m

Don’t Go Away 110m

Whatever 104m

That’s all the 100m + songs. Some Might Say is next on 84m.

Not sure if I’m surprised by this or not. The top three, no, not really. Stop Crying Your Heart Out having twice as many streams as Supersonic isn’t what I’d expect. Cigarettes & Alcohol is just about in the top 20. She’s Electric has more than The Importance of Being Idle, Acquiesce and D’You Know What I mean? combined.

I suppose the thought I’m having is bigger than Oasis and it’s really more about how what might be considered an artists’ more prominent works changes retrospectively. 

I’m sure there are far more pronounced examples of other songs for other bands which increased/decreased in popularity with its fan base over the years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Out of bored curiosity I had a little look to see the most streamed songs on Spotify and how they stack up with what I think is traditionally the more loved songs. 

Champagne Supernova 413m

Stop Crying Your Heart Out 367m

Live Forever 277m

Stand By Me 259m

Supersonic 177m

She’s Electric 145m

Half the World Away 136m

Don’t Go Away 110m

Whatever 104m

That’s all the 100m + songs. Some Might Say is next on 84m.

Not sure if I’m surprised by this or not. The top three, no, not really. Stop Crying Your Heart Out having twice as many streams as Supersonic isn’t what I’d expect. Cigarettes & Alcohol is just about in the top 20. She’s Electric has more than The Importance of Being Idle, Acquiesce and D’You Know What I mean? combined.

I suppose the thought I’m having is bigger than Oasis and it’s really more about how what might be considered an artists’ more prominent works changes retrospectively. 

I’m sure there are far more pronounced examples of other songs for other bands which increased/decreased in popularity with its fan base over the years.

It’s interesting that 4 of the 11 were not singles. Either b-sides or album tracks. That’s something quite unique about Oasis catalogue.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s interesting that 4 of the 11 were not singles. Either b-sides or album tracks. That’s something quite unique about Oasis catalogue.

Yeah expanding it to the top 20, there are 8 non singles that feature (Morning Glory, Slide Away, Rock n Roll Star, Married With Children).

I was going to say (reluctantly, for obvious reasons) that maybe The Beatles are similar in the non singles taking up a large amount of the top whatever…but looking at the list it dawns on me that I don’t know for certain all the singles or whether they were released as singles in the US.

52 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I skip these two almost every time I listen to What's the story

45 minutes ago, Genie said:

The most impressive thing about them is their output from 94-96.  They could have got years more mileage out of early album tracks and B sides.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

The most impressive thing about them is their output from 94-96.  They could have got years more mileage out of early album tracks and B sides.

For sure, the singles often had 4 tracks which was amazing value. The A-side, a couple of b-sides and then often a live track. All bangers.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Stop Crying Your Heart Out having twice as many streams as Supersonic isn’t what I’d expect. Cigarettes & Alcohol is just about in the top 20. She’s Electric has more than The Importance of Being Idle, Acquiesce and D’You Know What I mean? combined.

that's what sets oasis apart from say pulp or blur etc

the increase in numbers for those songs is because they cross over to different fan bases, wonderwall in particular hence why its number 1 crossed over to smooth and heart and radio stations that your parents listen to, it'll feature on spotify playlists that over bands cant get near

the reach of them around WTSMG, wonderwall and DLBIA in particular,  was incredible 

from memory in 2002 when we got knocked out of the world cup both BBC and ITV used stop crying your heart out as the backing track to it

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It really isn't

Without checking I’d be fairly confident saying ‘the Beatles’ list wouldn’t be all singles.

Quite unique is an ambitious bar to set for any band. 

Unless we are using unique as Dem wanted literally used, as in, literally unique meaning fairly unusual unless you look in to it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Led Zeppelin 🥷

I just googled LZ songs and inly 2 jumped out at me (Stairway to Heaven / Whole lotta love). 

My wife certainly isn’t an Oasis fan but I’d bet she would name circa 10 non-singles alone. Champagne Supernova, Morning Glory, Rock n Roll Star, Half the World Away, She’s Electric, Don’t go away, Slide Away plus others. I think it would be true for a large proportion of people. They would know those songs and that they were by Oasis.

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Without checking I’d be fairly confident saying ‘the Beatles’ list wouldn’t be all singles.

Yeah, the Beatles could possibly be the right/only answer. They have a shed load of very famous songs and same as you, without checking I guess many of them were not singles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I just googled LZ songs and inly 2 jumped out at me (Stairway to Heaven / Whole lotta love). 

My wife certainly isn’t an Oasis fan but I’d bet she would name circa 10 non-singles alone. Champagne Supernova, Morning Glory, Rock n Roll Star, Half the World Away, She’s Electric, Don’t go away, Slide Away plus others. I think it would be true for a large proportion of people. They would know those songs and that they were by Oasis.

Yeah, the Beatles could possibly be the right/only answer. They have a shed load of very famous songs and same as you, without checking I guess many of them were not singles.

Once you’ve spotted the potential, you start thinking of ABBA and Elton John, or Stevie Wonder and that whole tier of artists that don’t instantly come to mind but then you remember they are massive in sales terms. Billy Joel or Jimi Hendrix or Alabama 3.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â