Oasis: This is their thread

useless

Oasis, Blur, Radihohead, Pulp, Manics, Suede, Elastica, Bluetones, Shed Seven, OCS, Charlatans, Kula Shaker,  Cast, etc.

They are what fall under the Britpop banner for me.  All Brit, hardly any pop.  All guitar based.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Naaah, whether rightly or wrongly those bands are always grouped together and under the Britpop banner (I did qualify that with saying some wouldn't agree with the definition).

My understanding of music defined as Britpop is pretty exclusively guitar based so ironically despite being Brit and Pop, Spice Girls don't count.

Brit Pop / Cool Britannia. Same thing really, it's just a media / music biz invention. It was never a "movement" like say punk / 2 Tone / Metal etc, nothing about it was organic, there were no shared values or styles. 

Oasis / Pulp / Blur / Radiohead et al have very little similarity at all. Even the Blur vs Oasis thing was marketing hype based on two knobs not liking each other.

No band ever set out to be a Brit Pop band.

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

For some reason Jarvis Cocker winds me up, I have to turn the radio down whenever Pulp get played.  I don't know what it is because the few tunes they play are decent enough pop songs.

why can't I do the sad and shocked response to a signal post?  WHY?

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

Brit Pop / Cool Britannia. Same thing really, it's just a media / music biz invention. It was never a "movement" like say punk / 2 Tone / Metal etc, nothing about it was organic, there were no shared values or styles. 

Oasis / Pulp / Blur / Radiohead et al have very little similarity at all. Even the Blur vs Oasis thing was marketing hype based on two knobs not liking each other.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying but whether rightly or wrongly they were all grouped under that banner and by extension are regularly compared and associated with each other.

Edited by Wainy316

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

what was it then 

Retro indie music that was very popular in this country in the mid 90s before dance and other genres  made it seem incredibly old-fashioned and naff by the turn of the millennium. 

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

what was it then 

Pop music is very hard to define again it isn't a genre. The Buzzcocks were pop music. The Cure make pop songs (not exclusively) etc

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Oasis, Blur, Radihohead, Pulp, Manics, Suede, Elastica, Bluetones, Shed Seven, OCS, Charlatans, Kula Shaker,  Cast, etc.

They are what fall under the Britpop banner for me.  All Brit, hardly any pop.  All guitar based.

phonics clipped the end of it and the verve were in there too with arguably the biggest song from it

there was a good BBC documentary on it called something like the 7 stages of rock that also covered the death of britpop and the absolute state of music afterwards, I drifted over to RHCPs and then the strokes / libertines came along for the revival 

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Even the Blur vs Oasis thing was marketing hype based on two knobs not liking each other.

the biggest take away from that battle for me is that both of those songs are two of weakest songs each band released, roll with it in particular is one of the weakest songs on WTSMG but it served a purpose, would have been interesting to see what would have happened to wonderwall and dont look back in anger without it, maybe oasis dont cross over on to smooth and heart fm if it wasnt for that "battle"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Retro indie music that was very popular in this country in the mid 90s before dance and other genres  made it seem incredibly old-fashioned and naff by the turn of the millennium. 

As Kasabian and The Arctic Monkeys showed.

Fairport Convention - one original member

Eagles - one original member 

Fleetwood Mac - one original member 

Dr Feelgood - no original members 

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well ok but by the end of 2000s guitar based music was being usurped as the most popular type of music for the young folks. Britpop was one of the last periods. 

28 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I like the direction The Arctic Monkeys went in and are forever pushing for something different to the last album they did. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well ok but by the end of 2000s guitar based music was being usurped as the most popular type of music for the young folks. Britpop was one of the last periods. 

The death of guitar-based pop has been predicted several times. It always comes back. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

At least it looks like Bonehead is confirmed.  Bonehead on rhythm and a bit of coke and hopefully Noel will bring back his solos from the Be Here Now era

I think Noel offloaded most of the lead guitar stuff to Gem a long time ago (to concentrate on vocals) which is why I reckon Gem will be there too.

35 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The death of guitar-based pop has been predicted several times. It always comes back. 

Right now must be one of the longest gaps though

Hence why oasis are still so popular 

It's on its arse 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Right now must be one of the longest gaps though

Hence why oasis are still so popular 

It's on its arse 

and Coldplay, Foo Fighters etc are still doing massive stadiums. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

At least it looks like Bonehead is confirmed.  Bonehead on rhythm and a bit of coke and hopefully Noel will bring back his solos from the Be Here Now era

I liked Be Here Now. Their cocaine album as it’s often said. 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â