Oasis: This is their thread

useless

18 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I have had this discussion before, possibly not here, not sure.

Are the Rolling Stones the Rolling Stones without Charlie? They’re definitely not without Mick. Likewise with Keef.

Are Fleetwood Mac still Fleetwood Mac with Neil Finn on vocals instead of Buckingham? Could they not have the “Mac” part of the band and have a different bassist and still be Fleetwood Mac? 

I think it varies from band to band.

For what it’s worth, Oasis are Noel and Liam. It would be nice to have Gem or whomever as some further connection but it’s the brothers and really it always has been. 

Yeah I am sure we have had this discussion as it feels familiar. I have no skin in the game so for me it’s Oasis but I wonder if there is a group that are calling for specific members. 
As an aside Pixies for me isnt Pixies without Kim Deal but thats due to her being an important member. 

• Like 1

There are some examples where it could be argued slightly went against expectation. Like, David Lee Roth was quite synonymous with Van Halen, but apparently they could carry on without him because they still had, well Van Halen (two of ‘em).

Pink Floyd carry on without their lead song writer, twice, because the name is bigger than an individual. Although I feel like if they now toured without Gilmour (leaving aside the disdain that is there once more) it wouldn’t work/be considered as “Pink Floyd”.

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Queen are Brian May and Roger Taylor. 

Sadly Queen stopped being Queen when Freddie died. John Deacon definitely knew this. May and Taylor are just whoring themselves around nowadays.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

There are some examples where it could be argued slightly went against expectation. Like, David Lee Roth was quite synonymous with Van Halen, but apparently they could carry on without him because they still had, well Van Halen (two of ‘em).

Pink Floyd carry on without their lead song writer, twice, because the name is bigger than an individual. Although I feel like if they now toured without Gilmour (leaving aside the disdain that is there once more) it wouldn’t work/be considered as “Pink Floyd”.

And with Rick Wright now dead they miss his input. I was lucky to see them perform with the iconic lineup (obviously no Syd) at Live8.

When you have iconic band members it's hard to continue without. INXS stopped when Hutchence died. Joy Division reinvented themselves. Obviousl AC-DC with there Bon Scott and Brian Johnson eras.

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

They are the only two consistent members of the band aren't they?

I suppose there is an argument for Andy Bell because he did write a few of their later numbers.

Gem has as many credits from the last three albums.

Ok, one less song than Bell - there’s a minute long instrumental that separates their respective output. Not sure about b sides. 

Just now, stewiek2 said:

And with Rick Wright now dead they miss his input. I was lucky to see them perform with the iconic lineup (obviously no Syd) at Live8.

When you have iconic band members it's hard to continue without. INXS stopped when Hutchence died. Joy Division reinvented themselves. Obviousl AC-DC with there Bon Scott and Brian Johnson eras.

Black Sabbath and Deep Purple enter the conversation :D 

• Like 1

I'd love to get tickets for any Oasis reunion, I grew up on their music, went to see them live etc... 

But it is going to be filled with influencers and clowns doing Tik Toks who only know Wonderwall & Don't Look Back in Anger. 

Ask any of them who sang the likes of 'My Big Mouth, Columbia or Hey Now' and they wouldn't have a clue. 

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Ok, one less song than Bell - there’s a minute long instrumental that separates their respective output. Not sure about b sides. 

I think we're assuming Gem Archer is playing though

• Thanks 1

The end game of a 15 year marketing gimmick that's worked a treat for both of their profiles and sales.

Personally think its great that a new generation get to go to something like this that isn't Taylor Swift, its not like I'm going to be anywhere near the front. Leave it to the yoof.

Not looking forward to Saturday morning.....

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I'd love to get tickets for any Oasis reunion, I grew up on their music, went to see them live etc... 

But it is going to be filled with influencers and clowns doing Tik Toks who only know Wonderwall & Don't Look Back in Anger. 

Ask any of them who sang the likes of 'My Big Mouth, Columbia or Hey Now' and they wouldn't have a clue. 

You know the world has finally entered the end phase when Oasis fans are the music snobs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

INXS started back up again but it was a disaster.  Hutchence was one of those one offs. 

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

You know the world has finally entered the end phase when Oasis fans are the music snobs.

The day had to come. 

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I appreciate that objectivity is unlikely but is it Oasis? Currently it’s the vocalist and the songwriter. Is that all that is needed for it to be Oasis?

Noel and Liam are 95% Oasis. 

The rest of the band has changed over the years anyway.

I appreciate that objectivity is unlikely but is it Oasis? Currently it’s the vocalist and the songwriter. Is that all that is needed for it to be Oasis?

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Noel and Liam are 95% Oasis. 

The rest of the band has changed over the years anyway.

the year is 2035 and the rivalry sees no end as Pontins have Oasish headed up by Bonehead, Butlins have a weekender built around Oasis2026ltd, headed by a guy that was briefly in Boneheads band, and CenterParks have Oasis, headed by Sarah MacDonald since the divorce review.

in the case of oasis, yes, and that's also probably the case for most bands. when axl went off and continued to tour as guns n roses with not one of the others, that wasn't GnR. you need at least him, duff and slash for it to be GnR IMO, but i'd say that to be the exception rather than the rule. for most bands, i'd say it really is just the singer and key songwriter which ultimately defines whether it's still them or not. take ian brown out of stone roses, it's not them anymore. take liam out of courteeners, same outcome. saw kasabian last year...they just weren't the same (not saying it wasn't the right decision for him to leave the band). the non-ozzy black sabbath stuff was pretty good...but it wasn't them. i could probably go on.

I never begrudged Grateful Dead members keepin’ on after Jerry died but it would have been a total dealbreaker had they continued under the GD name. Sure, they called themselves The Dead & also Dead & Co. (which I cannot stand- the music, not the name) but it’s enough of a difference to me. And I know for a fact that they never for a second thought of carrying on under the GD name. They knew that was simply not to be done after August 9, 1995

Thanks for coming to my Dead talk 💀🌹

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Their songs were mainly there to fill a quota, they got one or two each, Liam got 3 and Noel did the rest but sung most of them himself.  Oasis kind of died when it stopped being Liam singing Noel's songs, with just the odd exception thrown in.  That's why it only really matters that those two are there, albeit the rest of the band will be previous members anyway.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â